How have your notes changed since day 1? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Since day 1 my notes have become:

Longer with more detail
19%
Shorter with more detail
38%
Shorter with less detail
35%
Everything the professor says
No votes
LEEWS method
4%
I never took notes
4%
I dont take notes any more
No votes

Total votes: 26

abudaba

New

How have your notes changed since day 1?

Post by abudaba » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:44 pm

Wondering if anyone is noticing any distinguishable difference in their notes since the start of the semester.

wesker

New

Re: How have your notes changed since day 1?

Post by wesker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:46 pm

I don't really like your poll options, but my notes have definitely gotten shorter. Contracts is probably the best example where my professor has banned laptops. In the beginning I'd leave class with 3-4 pages of notes, writing down a lot of useless information including facts of the cases we were discussing. Now I really just care about what the court said the rule was and what my professor thinks the rule should be. Nowadays I leave contracts with 1-1.5 pages of notes.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:06 pm

By and large, I've stopped taking them.

abudaba

New

Post by abudaba » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:08 pm

wesker wrote:I don't really like your poll options
me either but it aint scientific so the effort reflects that :wink:

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:33 pm

SBL wrote:By and large, I've stopped taking them.

more notes on the readings, less on what they say. not because i give more weight to the book, but because a lot of it doubles up. the teachers are working the socratic method to get to how the rule of law came about. my notes are on what the rule/holding actually is. so far, my notes basically resemble the outline a 3L gave me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:59 am

It varies. Here's the breakdown:

Crim: I take MAYBE 1-2 sentences on the facts of a case just to jog my memory and force myself to pay attention. I jot down policy stuff in bullets as I'm now aware of WHAT policy is and the fact that it appears on exams.

Civ Pro: I do the same for facts. But this time, I jot down any loose ends the book didn't cover or anything I didn't understand. Not a whole lot of BLL to go off of as far as I can see.

Overall, I'm taking fewer notes for these two.

K: This class is a completely different animal. I'm taking only slightly less notes than in the beginning. This prof super fast and much of the BLL concepts like mutual mistakes don't appear in the readings, at least not as isolated terms worth jotting down. I'm having to rely on old outlines and supplements to tie up loose ends. It really doesn't help this prof obsesses over philosopher quotes.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:47 am

Why would you not have an option for people whose notes have stayed the same?

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:08 pm

civ pro--i used to organize my notes by date, now I make one giant outline on the topic, filling it in as I go along...still use the leews method for briefs..

crim-hardly any notes at all in class. I pretty much learn from the supplement and listen in class...most of class is policy discussion, which is covered in the supplement already..and I already have notes on. leews method for cases

torts--no laptops..no supplement because the profs got his own point of view..so basically just the leews method..i take less notes in my case book, but that is probably not a good thing because I was learning the material better before

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:36 pm

I definitely think my artistic ability has improved. My stick figures have a lot more detail and I've become very efficient at drawing straight lines.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”