Mom living with me in Law School Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LSBlues

New

Mom living with me in Law School

Post by LSBlues » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:08 pm

Ok, started my 1L year a month and a half ago, initially the plan was my mother was going to come down, help me settle in for a couple of weeks and then return home. Well she decided that she liked this part of the country so much that she wants to stay, talking about how she might stay for all three years. Are you kidding me? At first it was nice, she does the laundry, cleans and cooks. But now its getting ridiculous, and affecting my studying habits. She's always in the kitchen making noise or watching tv, or going through my stuff under the guise of cleaning, then she wants to have these long conversations about stupid stuff and then when I get mad at her she goes off and cries about it like I'm some horrible person. I have been trying to spend as much time in the library but I feel like I am a prisoner. Anyone have any suggestions, should I kick the hoe out? Anyone dealt with this before?

dresden doll

Platinum

Re: Mom living with me in Law School

Post by dresden doll » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:13 pm

If this isn't a flame, you need to tell your mother, as politely as possible, that she's jeopardizing your academic success in the midst of a crucial LS year, that consequences could be grave and that you will need to have space for yourself in order to do well.

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:15 pm

You need to murder your father and marry your mother: it's the only way.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:16 pm

Are you sure you're an adult?

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:18 pm

LSBlues wrote:Ok, started my 1L year a month and a half ago, initially the plan was my mother was going to come down, help me settle in for a couple of weeks and then return home. Well she decided that she liked this part of the country so much that she wants to stay, talking about how she might stay for all three years. Are you kidding me? At first it was nice, she does the laundry, cleans and cooks. But now its getting ridiculous, and affecting my studying habits. She's always in the kitchen making noise or watching tv, or going through my stuff under the guise of cleaning, then she wants to have these long conversations about stupid stuff and then when I get mad at her she goes off and cries about it like I'm some horrible person. I have been trying to spend as much time in the library but I feel like I am a prisoner. Anyone have any suggestions, should I kick the hoe out? Anyone dealt with this before?
GTFO. That is all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSBlues

New

Post by LSBlues » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:25 pm

JG Hall wrote:Are you sure you're an adult?
yeah I am, however my parents believe otherwise, I have a history of making poor decisions when it comes to alcohol/drugs, so it is understandable why they would want to keep a close eye on me. And even though I gave all that up, they feel that I may slip back into it at anytime. So while the reasoning may seem valid, the nazi approach they are taking is going to be more detrimental then if I killed a 12 pack every day.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Goddamn that sounds like a horrible situation. I don't know why you felt you needed her to come down and help settle you in for a couple weeks, which is a very long time, but kick her out. Convince her that while you have had troubles in the past, you are a different person now and invested in your future, that you don't need a babysitter, and that her presence is hurting your progress. Your first year is much too important put up with such a huge distraction.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:31 pm

You a grown-ass man. Kick the hoe out.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:36 pm

Why are you guys living in the law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSBlues

New

Post by LSBlues » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:39 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Goddamn that sounds like a horrible situation. I don't know why you felt you needed her to come down and help settle you in for a couple weeks, which is a very long time, but kick her out. Convince her that while you have had troubles in the past, you are a different person now and invested in your future, that you don't need a babysitter, and that her presence is hurting your progress. Your first year is much too important put up with such a huge distraction.
Thanks for the helpful advice, you have no Idea how bad it really is, my diningroom table now has a pink table cloth, I have a purple striped rug in my living room, this is sad, I feel like a pansy. I never really had a choice regarding the first couple weeks, but it didn't seem so bad at the time. Im starting to think this was her plan all along!

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:42 pm

rad law wrote:You a grown-ass man. Kick the hoe out.

LSBlues

New

Post by LSBlues » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:43 pm

bigben wrote:Why are you guys living in the law school?
we got ourselves a freaking comedian here, seriously dude if you don't have anything constructive to say then why bother? I would think law students from top law schools would have some level of empathy and maturity, it's sad that the guy who's living with his mom is more mature than you

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:52 pm

LSBlues wrote:
bigben wrote:Why are you guys living in the law school?
we got ourselves a freaking comedian here, seriously dude if you don't have anything constructive to say then why bother? I would think law students from top law schools would have some level of empathy and maturity, it's sad that the guy who's living with his mom is more mature than you
Flame on flama.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jackie O

Bronze

Post by Jackie O » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:53 pm

someone's gotta stop waterman from creating alts to resolve his problems

aheisman

New

Post by aheisman » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:21 pm

Last edited by aheisman on Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

uvahooo

Bronze

Post by uvahooo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:27 pm

aheisman wrote:Assuming this is not a flame, if you can get your mom to not converse with you when you're busy, it sounds like a sweet situation to be in. I am jealous. I moved out when I was 17 (so about 7 years ago), and life is so much easier back home where mom cleans, cooks, and takes care of the daily necessities.
1. I would be a lucky SOB if my mother lived with me.
2. How heartless can you be? If you have had problems with drugs. What makes you think you won't start using with all the law school stress?
3. I doubt your mother "just likes" living in that part of the country. She is staying there to make life easier for you. By keeping an eye out on you so you don't screw up your life with a screwed up debt.
4. Suck it up. If your mom really is bothering you just set some ground rules. It seems like you may need her more than you think

inchoate_con

Bronze

Post by inchoate_con » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:31 pm

aheisman wrote:....and life is so much easier back home where mom cleans, cooks, and takes care of the daily necessities.
Sounds awesome, if only you could have sex with her too. Wait, what are they called? Oh yea, wives.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:03 pm

I literally just started laughing reading this thread. This is one of the funnier flames I've read in a while. If it's not a flame-- so how do bring random snatch home? Doesn't the fact that your mom lives with you get in the way of that?... I know I would never bring up some random skank to my parent's house.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:28 pm

Jackie O wrote:someone's gotta stop waterman from creating alts to resolve his problems

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:32 pm

Pathetic.

LSBlues

New

Post by LSBlues » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:02 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:I literally just started laughing reading this thread. This is one of the funnier flames I've read in a while. If it's not a flame-- so how do bring random snatch home? Doesn't the fact that your mom lives with you get in the way of that?... I know I would never bring up some random skank to my parent's house.
trust me its no flame, I wish it was. Bringing home random skanks is not a problem yet, trying to do the whole long distance relationship thing with my girl back home. But so far none of my friends have found out, hopefully it will stay that way, if not, talk about a social life killer

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm the same way, I totally can't concentrate when other people are around; that's part of the reason I live alone. (That, and I just can't deal with being around people 24/7 and hate having to deal with their messes, friends, etc.) You need to stop being a baby and figure out a way to handle this.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:36 pm

I'm Barack Obama and I approve this flame.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:42 pm

LSBlues wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:I literally just started laughing reading this thread. This is one of the funnier flames I've read in a while. If it's not a flame-- so how do bring random snatch home? Doesn't the fact that your mom lives with you get in the way of that?... I know I would never bring up some random skank to my parent's house.
trust me its no flame, I wish it was. Bringing home random skanks is not a problem yet, trying to do the whole long distance relationship thing with my girl back home. But so far none of my friends have found out, hopefully it will stay that way, if not, talk about a social life killer
Wait... you had a girl back home that would do what your mom is doing but you could bang her and you brought mommy instead?

This is either a great flame or you are seriously
traehekat wrote:Pathetic.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Are your parents paying for law school? If not they have absolutely no say in anything you do. Grow some balls and get her the fuck out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”