LEEWS Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
eternalmusic88

New

LEEWS

Post by eternalmusic88 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Looking for a copy of: LEEWS: Legal Essay Exam Writing System CD Audio Program ASAP!!!! Anyone have anything available? Or no where I could get some for less than the outrageous $160?

jlockhart6

Bronze

Re: LEEWS

Post by jlockhart6 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:14 pm

eternalmusic88 wrote:Looking for a copy of: LEEWS: Legal Essay Exam Writing System CD Audio Program ASAP!!!! Anyone have anything available? Or no where I could get some for less than the outrageous $160?
To be entirely honest I wouldn't even spend a cent on that program, total waste. I walked out of there thinking it was ridiculous, did 1L exams the way I thought best, ended up with a 3.9. Honestly, study hard, know the law, and take practice tests like crazy, there is no big secret to success on a law school exam. Taking as many practice tests as you can cannot be emphasized enough, not some audio cd of very basic "cite the law first in your answer" advice, trust me, it isn't worth a dime.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:34 pm

Different strokes for different folks. Some have found GTM to be perfectly helpful for exams while others hold LEEWS in higher regard.

aPosseAdEsse

Bronze

Post by aPosseAdEsse » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:56 pm

I'm on the 5th CD, and I'm about to begin again where I left off. I'm finding it really interesting, and if anything, it's relaxing knowing that I'll have a backup step by step method for tackling fact patterns if I freeze up or choke on the exam.[1]

To directly answer your question: I see myself re-listening to these CDs again this semester and keeping them at least another semester. I spent the $160, and so far I think it's worth it. Aren't you already spending a lot on law school anyway? This is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

For what it's worth, the author introduces the CDs and his book by explaining that he thinks the CDs are much better than the live program. His explanations are scripted and he covers more material/goes slower (whereas in the live program he goes off the cuff/from memory and speaks more quickly). Plus you can pause, rewind, etc.

If all of this was thrown at me in a one-day seminar, I would walk away pretty bewildered and pissed too.

[1] disclaimer: I haven't actually taken a graded, real law school exam yet.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:04 pm

aPosseAdEsse wrote:I'm on the 5th CD, and I'm about to begin again where I left off. I'm finding it really interesting, and if anything, it's relaxing knowing that I'll have a backup step by step method for tackling fact patterns if I freeze up or choke on the exam.[1]

To directly answer your question: I see myself re-listening to these CDs again this semester and keeping them at least another semester. I spent the $160, and so far I think it's worth it. Aren't you already spending a lot on law school anyway? This is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

For what it's worth, the author introduces the CDs and his book by explaining that he thinks the CDs are much better than the live program. His explanations are scripted and he covers more material/goes slower (whereas in the live program he goes off the cuff/from memory and speaks more quickly). Plus you can pause, rewind, etc.

If all of this was thrown at me in a one-day seminar, I would walk away pretty bewildered and pissed too.

[1] disclaimer: I haven't actually taken a graded, real law school exam yet.
+1

I like LEEWS. I feel like it gave me a really good intro to what law school exams are all about. Also helped me on how to approach class/notes/reading. I think in terms of issue spotting, just going through the CD's really helped learn how to nit pick.

I dont think I would like the seminar though..too much info for one day

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jdubb990

Bronze

Post by jdubb990 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:05 pm

There are some things the LEEWS CD's tell you that most people wouldn't think to do otherwise. Mostly these regard efficiency in exam taking. And, as we all know, law school exams are a time crunch, so efficiency strategies are huge bonus. Wentworth Miller is VERY long-winded though, and that is a huge drawback of LEEWS in my opinion. If its designed for law students, and law students don't have much free time, then why in the hell wouldn't you just get to the point? We already have cases to read, supplements to read, research to do, practice tests to take, and every other thing that goes along with life, he should know this. Be more precise Prison Break dad.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:15 pm

I found the primer much more helpful than the audio program.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:01 pm

jdubb990 wrote:Be more precise Prison Break dad.

lol @ this.
figures though right, scofield took 4 seasons to cover an actual time span of 6 months.

stjaba

New

Post by stjaba » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:14 am

I'm a 2L who did well my first year and I thought LEEWS(live version) was not that helpful. Most of his strategy/advice was not that different from the advice/strategy you see in the free guides written by Arrow/Talon etc, so I don't know if it's really worthwhile considering the cost. I also personally found GTM to be more helpful.

Also, some of his strategies are really only applicable to massive issue spotter exams, and primarily Torts and Crim Law. Lots of professors are doing short answer/multiple choice exams these days, where his strategies wouldn't be as effective.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”