Themis Bar Review Course... Thoughts? Opinions? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
firebreathingliberal

Bronze

Themis Bar Review Course... Thoughts? Opinions?

Post by firebreathingliberal » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:46 pm

So the title is self-explanatory.

I have heard some good things from other students in my school but there is a dearth of information otherwise. Their bar passage rates seem to be pretty good, but I don't necessarily trust the companies own statistics (sort of like law school employment rates).

Also, an extra piece of info is that I might have an opportunity to be a campus rep and thus get the course for free or at a substantial discount (I'm not exactly sure how it works yet).

Thanks for the advice.

firebreathingliberal

Bronze

Re: Themis Bar Review Course... Thoughts? Opinions?

Post by firebreathingliberal » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:34 pm

So no one has any opinion? Or no one on this site has ever used this bar review course?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:27 pm

firebreathingliberal wrote:So no one has any opinion? Or no one on this site has ever used this bar review course?
There are like... 3 people on this site who have actually taken the bar. And they probably used BarBri.

firebreathingliberal

Bronze

Post by firebreathingliberal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:09 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
firebreathingliberal wrote:So no one has any opinion? Or no one on this site has ever used this bar review course?
There are like... 3 people on this site who have actually taken the bar. And they probably used BarBri.
Good point... do you have any ideas about where I can find some objective info?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:13 am

firebreathingliberal wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Good point... do you have any ideas about where I can find some objective info?
I'm one of the three... Which state are you taking?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

firebreathingliberal

Bronze

Post by firebreathingliberal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:19 am

Probably OH, but NY or DC are also definite possibilities

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:26 pm

firebreathingliberal wrote:Probably OH, but NY or DC are also definite possibilities

DC is a bar you waive into basically, i.e. you score over a 135 (which is required on the NY Bar and possibly on the OH bar, I'm not sure). OH is not anywhere near as difficult as NY. If you're going to take NY, you study for NY and then take the other exam almost cold. I would suggest for NY, Barbri or Pieper. I have a personal preference toward Pieper. I scored in the upper 95% on the MBE and nearly a perfect score on the MPRE after taking Pieper courses and graduating from a TTTT -- Passed both NY and CT in the summer of 2008.

If you're taking just OH, frankly, I'm sure any commercial bar reivew is fine. Sad as it is, most state bar exams (excluding NY, CA, FL and TX), are pretty easy.

jloete2

New

Post by jloete2 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:03 pm

I just passed the IL bar exam and used Themis. It is an effective course you get daily assignments and the course gives you a weekly and monthly breakdown of where you should be. This is a guideline you can work at your own pace. You receive as much help as you need and any questions on a subject are returned promptly. You are given graded feedback on assignments and also have as many practice questions as any other review courses. The difference is that you pay a lot less for the privilege. Also its nice to not have to travel to a classroom to get the info.

tbr12

New

Post by tbr12 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Themis is great because it allows you to work online rather than going to a class, and it's at a less expensive price, which is another bonus. This page lists all of the different State courses offered http://www.themisbar.com/bar-review-courses, and I would seriously consider it if they have your state!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:52 pm

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PsychoT22

New

Post by PsychoT22 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:00 pm

I'm planning on taking the MD bar for July 2014, has anyone taken the MD Themis course recently?
Is themis still having issues like the past, such as site crashing or anything else?

I have my deposit with barbri but money is tight and I'm trying to consider my options.
Thanks in advance.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:43 am

I'm impressed that you bumped a thread this old instead of just finding one of the multiple threads from the past 60 days on what bar prep course to take.

I took Themis for Texas, passed. Seems like most everyone was happy with Themis this past summer. There's a long thread about it pretty recently.

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:19 am

kalvano wrote:I'm impressed that you bumped a thread this old instead of just finding one of the multiple threads from the past 60 days on what bar prep course to take.

I took Themis for Texas, passed. Seems like most everyone was happy with Themis this past summer. There's a long thread about it pretty recently.
Took PA/NJ - this thought is echoed. It's not perfect, but I don't see significant advantages over barbri. If you have any time management skill and dedication (and frankly, graduated from an accredited law school with at least a 2.5), it doesn't matter which you choose.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”