Writing exam answers, advice Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Charles Barkley

Bronze

Writing exam answers, advice

Post by Charles Barkley » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:36 am

I received a tort "practice" exam question the other day. How is the best way to set up your answer? Currently, I have a heading for each issue, for instance, P v. D for battery.

Then I stated the rule for battery. Next, I stated what the issue is (Was it substantially certain that D's action would cause P's injuries?). Then I went into the facts of the case. I explained what each side would argue for why it was/wasn't substantially certain that the action would result in the harmful contact. And ended with the conclusion that D will likely not be found liable for battery because it was not substantially certain the harmful contact would result.

Basically, I want to know should I keep the conclusion at the end? Or is it better to state your conclusion at the beginning? I've seen mixed answers on this forum in some of the guides that I've read.

Thanks for your help.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Writing exam answers, advice

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:40 am

Charles Barkley wrote:Basically, I want to know should I keep the conclusion at the end? Or is it better to state your conclusion at the beginning? I've seen mixed answers on this forum in some of the guides that I've read.
As long as your conclusions match your analysis, I don't think it matters too much whether they're presented at the beginning or the end.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:51 am

best bet is to ask the prof what he/she wants

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:54 am

Bankhead wrote:best bet is to ask the prof what he/she wants
Solid advice.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:50 am

Charles Barkley wrote:
Bankhead wrote:best bet is to ask the prof what he/she wants
Solid advice.

seriously. i had a class in the morning where the prof said she wanted us to reformulate the rules in our own words, and then in the afternoon i had a professor say to copy the rules exactly as how they are written from the opinions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”