What motivates you to study ? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Cupidity

Gold

Re: What motivates you to study ?

Post by Cupidity » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:49 am

A roommate who bitches when I play video games.

Jackie O

Bronze

Post by Jackie O » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:46 am

the joy of learning - I really like doing the readings and briefing

I'm not being sarcastic

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:34 am

Knowing I'll have a job when I graduate! Even though I'm at a T3 I know that with hard work I'll have better jobs than most of you.

EDIT didnt know you couldnt post anonymously in this forum.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:59 am

The carrot hanging in front of me and the stick chasing behind me.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:07 am

nealric wrote: the stick chasing behind me.
Sounds like suprise buttsecks is imminent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:14 am

Rocketman11 wrote:Knowing I'll have a job when I graduate! Even though I'm at a T3 I know that with hard work I'll have better jobs than most of you.

EDIT didnt know you couldnt post anonymously in this forum.
I love you.
jdubb990 wrote:Today I remembered a reality that I feel most law students forget, I know I did. And that is people depend on lawyers. Sometimes they depend on them for their lives, their careers, keeping their business. And the loss or gain of these things will effect those individuals around them, their husband or wife, their children, their employees.

The harder we study, the more likely we are to provide substantial help to these people and their families. If you've ever had to put your faith in an attorney during a dire situation then you probably understand what I'm saying. If you haven't, I hope that you will now, or at some point in the future.

So study hard. It matters.
I hate to break this to you, but they teach us language and our profit on it is that we know how to curse.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:32 am

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:38 am

Another motivating factor: I want to be able to afford luxuries like Twitch and Mordekaiser in League of Legends

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:40 am

1a - one of my roommates is this 45 year old life failure, he works part just to afford a shitty mattress on the floor in the room he rents, and spends all his time sitting on the sofa watching lifetime movies and drinking beer, prob never had a gf in his life, seeing that motivates me in itself, in that I want to do everything possible NOT to become him

1b - he's also annoying as hell and thinks i'm his best friend or something, whenever i'm home he tries to talk to me about stupid crap, so he's a good motivator to spend all my time on campus/in t he library studying, so I don't have to go home and deal with him

2 - loans

3 - I guess I've always just been someone that hates settling, I hate regrets, and If I get a shit grade and knew that I could have easily done more to get a better one, I'm gonna hate myself

4 - to transfer to a T14, my past mistakes in undergrad screwed me over when it came application time, I couldn't wipe out failing out of community college right out of high school, but right now, as a 1L at a T2, nothing in my past matters. I've got one year to prove to the T14 that I belong, it's really all in my hands right now, the only thing that can hold me back from my law career dreams are what I decide to do in the next year/3 years, undergrad grades don't mean squat anymore. That's kind of a cool feeling, and a good motivator

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:47 am

How could it be a surprise if I'm aware of the threat?

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:04 pm

nealric wrote:
How could it be a surprise if I'm aware of the threat?
You can never be fully prepared for your first buttsecks. So you've done it before?

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:22 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Also, my mom guilts me whenever she sees that I am on facebook..... :?

Oh, and I'd rather not piss off a professor by not being able to answer in-class questions, even if its affect on my grade is minimal/non-existent.

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:05 am

Dude its actually really simple.

If you do not do well during your 1L year, it will become MUCH harder, if not impossible, to find legal employment out of law school. Its a jungle out there for people not in the top 25% of their classes, even at the top schools. If you want to be a lawyer, and don't want 150k of crushing debt with no job, then force yourself to study. If you can't, I'd seriously consider dropping out before its too late.

Let me repeat: if you are not in the top 25% of your class, ITE odds are you will not find a decent job. And if you are out of the t25, the odds become even smaller.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:07 am

What motivate me are my past experiences working in retail.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:44 am

I remind myself that, in life, one thing I genuinely desire is to excel academically. Then I say to myself, "Hey, guess what? You're gonna fuckin' DIE one day."

That usually does it.

Another good motivator is becoming super OCD about grades.

Finding the material interesting always helps too, but that's hard to do artificially.

Jackie O

Bronze

Post by Jackie O » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:43 am

superdingle2000 wrote:I remind myself that, in life, one thing I genuinely desire is to excel academically. Then I say to myself, "Hey, guess what? You're gonna fuckin' DIE one day."

That usually does it.

Another good motivator is becoming super OCD about grades.

Finding the material interesting always helps too, but that's hard to do artificially.
I strongly approve

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:49 am

ashwini wrote:I'm in law school and I find it virtually impossible to put in even an hour of study . I've always been the kind of kid who has performed under pressure or when there is no go . My whole school life I needed that extra yell or (slap lol) from my tutor to make me study and when they happened I did great.
Now I have no pressure.I probably study a few hours before the actual exam and either pass or don't .The thing is Midnight studying isn't going to cut It at the university level and quite frankly If i don't know my subjects I'm just going to make a bad lawyer .
I took a vow (A serious one , went to the temple )3 days ago saying that I'd put in 4 hours of study everyday and since that day I haven't changed ..I feel so guilty!

What do you do to keep yourself motivated ? How do you stay focused?
Maybe I'm just an idiot because people say that the will to work should come from within and It's just not happening with me ..

Help!
Wait, are you at an American law school? What do you mean "the university level"?

Honestly what motivated me to study was (1) fear of not being in the top 10% [which I wound up being] and (2) the fact that I had previously had to support myself before law school. I get distracted, I procrastinate, I have trouble, but ultimately I study hard because I committed myself at the beginning of law school to making doing well in law school my ONLY priority for at least the first year, which I did in turn because I was really afraid I wouldn't get a job if I didn't.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:58 am

My father: "Law school is real school, OS, not fashion school. Frankly, I'll be surprised if you make median."

(Believe it or not, I have a good relationship with my father, though he doesn't get why stuff like this doesn't qualify as a good motivational speech.) I wanted to do well because I knew people expected me to fail, starting with the adcomms who waitlisted me when I had above median numbers. It's far from over, and even academic achievement might not be enough to overcome employer bias, given what I did in the past. What I have now is a start and I hope to improve on it.

*At least my father has retracted his statement and thinks I won't fail out to infamy and degradation.

Also, I am possibly eccentric and like the material, at least in my electives this year!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:00 am

OS you wanna go out sometime :oops:

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:13 am

romothesavior wrote:My loans.
...and ITE.

I don't know how OP doesn't already "feel the pressure."

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:22 am

OperaSoprano wrote:My father: "Law school is real school, OS, not fashion school. Frankly, I'll be surprised if you make median."

(Believe it or not, I have a good relationship with my father, though he doesn't get why stuff like this doesn't qualify as a good motivational speech.) I wanted to do well because I knew people expected me to fail, starting with the adcomms who waitlisted me when I had above median numbers. It's far from over, and even academic achievement might not be enough to overcome employer bias, given what I did in the past. What I have now is a start and I hope to improve on it.

*At least my father has retracted his statement and thinks I won't fail out to infamy and degradation.

Also, I am possibly eccentric and like the material, at least in my electives this year!
Curious... why do you think people expected you to fail?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:19 am

romothesavior wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:My father: "Law school is real school, OS, not fashion school. Frankly, I'll be surprised if you make median."

Curious... why do you think people expected you to fail?
I had been pretty serious about a career in fashion, and some who knew me thought I was doing this on a whim without a sense of the work I would have to put in. Perhaps they thought I lacked the capability to do the work. I am blonde and fit certain stereotypes a bit too well. As it happened, I came full circle and now spend two days a week in the legal department at a large fashion company.

It's presumptuous to say I haven't failed yet, however. My background made me a hard sell to firms, but I am glad people were honest. I would also rather forget my legal writing grade! There is always more work to do.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:22 am

romothesavior wrote:Curious... why do you think people expected you to fail?
Watch the movie "Legally Blonde", and mentally replace "Elle" with "OS" every time her name is mentioned, and then you'll understand.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:30 am

vanwinkle wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Curious... why do you think people expected you to fail?
Watch the movie "Legally Blonde", and mentally replace "Elle" with "OS" every time her name is mentioned, and then you'll understand.
Yeah, that's what I figured (just from the tone of her posts and her TLS personality), but I didn't want to presume. Glad to hear you're proving the nay-sayers wrong. At the end of your three years, be sure to give one of those speeches that athletes always give after an upset where you say, "Maaan... ain't nobody believed in us! We just had to keep believin in ourselves and workin hard. The haters gonna hate man, but we overcame." I hate when they do that.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:37 am

Rocketman11 wrote:OS you wanna go out sometime :oops:
Just live in New York and become a Democrat! ;)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”