What are people even doing when they study for hours? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Re: What are people even doing when they study for hours?

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:56 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:In my Torts II class I didn't read a single case, didn't do any hypo's during the semester, went through his old exams the last two weeks and memorized his outline, and got a A. :lol:

I'll do the honors......

Cool story, bro.

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:39 pm

OP, if there is one thing I've learned about law students in the few weeks I've been here, it is that they love to show off, boast, and revel in self-pity. Many of them get some sort of perverse sense of gratification and accomplishment by working pretending to work for hours and then talking about it. Some of my 2L friends warned me about this before school started ("Don't let people psyche you out when they talk about how much work they're doing," they told me), and now I'm seeing this all first-hand.

The only class I really read carefully for is Torts, and that is just because my prof is a really intense, old-school Socratic teacher. Neither of my other two profs are particularly intense, so I just skim cases, read briefs, etc. to get the general sense of what is going on in the case. I feel like I understand the classes so far and my notes are pretty solid.

A 2L told me a good way to gauge my understanding throughout the semester... When your prof asks a question on a key concept, are you able to in answer it clearly and concisely in your head, or are you confused? In other words, do you "get it?" If you don't "get it," ramp up your workload. If you do "get it," then you should be alright. But don't feel the need to work more just because other students are, because IMO, the students who I've labled in my head as workaholics or gunners are often the one's whose class responses are :shock: , :? , or :roll: .

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:40 pm

they're eating snacks

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:40 pm

chocolate disks, turtle treasures you name it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:28 pm

tintin wrote:wow, this thread made me feel like such a slacker. I just cracked an e&e the other day fro civ pro....

all I do is read the cases, sometimes twice, make some briefs and hilight / take notes
I don't have civ pro this semester but this is all I have done for my classes thus far as well. I just recently bought the E&Es but haven't really made that much headway into them. I feel like my grasp of the material is pretty strong so far and that I "get" what the teachers are looking for/will be testing on. I'm sure this might change later in the semester but for now it seems to work.

If it works for you, don't change it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”