In which we complain about HelLRW Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
klussy

Bronze

Re: In which we complain about HelLRW

Post by klussy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:30 pm

is it grounds for a complaint when your professor makes critical comments of your brief that directly contradict the TA's comments? not just one contradiction, but throughout every submission, numerous times? eg the TA says this is a really good argument and the professor says you shouldn't be making this argument.

The only comments from the professor that I get back are extremely vague, like she's trying to find something wrong where there is nothing wrong. There's no way she uses a rubric like the other professor. She spends each class trying to convince herself she's our age when she's like 70. Strongly tendentious and emotional- she's the type who cannot hide her favoritism.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:34 pm

klussy wrote:is it grounds for a complaint when your professor makes critical comments of your brief that directly contradict the TA's comments? not just one contradiction, but throughout every submission, numerous times? eg the TA says this is a really good argument and the professor says you shouldn't be making this argument.

The only comments from the professor that I get back are extremely vague, like she's trying to find something wrong where there is nothing wrong. There's no way she uses a rubric like the other professor. She spends each class trying to convince herself she's our age when she's like 70. Strongly tendentious and emotional- she's the type who cannot hide her favoritism.
I had a very similar experience. Not much you can do about it, and another huge reason the class should be pass/fail.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:10 pm

honestly, I wish I could just take a C in this class and never have to go back or write another word

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:18 pm

I still enjoy writing. I'd rather write briefs/memos than go to class and take a final that combines a shitton of material in a very impractical evaluation style. I'm weird though, so just ignore me.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:42 pm

beach_terror wrote:I still enjoy writing. I'd rather write briefs/memos than go to class and take a final that combines a shitton of material in a very impractical evaluation style. I'm weird though, so just ignore me.
I enjoy writing too. I don't enjoy working my ass off and then getting a 76. fuck.this.shit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:46 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I still enjoy writing. I'd rather write briefs/memos than go to class and take a final that combines a shitton of material in a very impractical evaluation style. I'm weird though, so just ignore me.
I enjoy writing too. I don't enjoy working my ass off and then getting a 76. fuck.this.shit.
DO BETTAR

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:13 pm

beach_terror wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
DO BETTAR
I'm literally just hoping to avoid a C- at this point lol

and to think that less than 8 months ago I was a bright eyed 0L thinking about getting top 10%. . .

klussy

Bronze

Post by klussy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:56 am

As I was writing my brief, the TA specifically told me to save my best argument for later in the paper (he may have even said save it for last). The other TA, who ended up marking up my final paper, said to always put your strongest argument first. I have never heard that before, not from my LRW professor or otherwise. In grade school, it was always put the strongest argument at the end to finish off with.
Last edited by klussy on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:17 am

klussy wrote:As I was writing my brief, the TA specifically told me to save my best argument for later in the paper (he may have even said save it for last). The other TA, who ended up marking up my final paper, said to always put your strongest argument first. I have never heard that before, not from my LRW professor or otherwise. In grade school, it was always put the strongest argument at the end to finish off with.

I am definitely filing a complaint. My TA says one thing; the grading TA says another; the "professor" also has her style. How am I supposed to know what the hell I am doing?
Best argument goes at the beginning. It's not a novel that gets better toward the end. It's a persuasive document and part of an adversarial process, so you fire your most damaging salvo first. However, do whatever your professor says even if it's wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:59 pm

klussy wrote:As I was writing my brief, the TA specifically told me to save my best argument for later in the paper (he may have even said save it for last). The other TA, who ended up marking up my final paper, said to always put your strongest argument first. I have never heard that before, not from my LRW professor or otherwise. In grade school, it was always put the strongest argument at the end to finish off with.
your final paper was graded by a TA? Is that legit?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:41 pm

Final draft due in ~14 hours. I think I have made some pretty solid, substantial changes thus far. Just have to trim everything down now and then polish it. Then bluebook it... ugh.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:04 am

--ImageRemoved--

Dear Professor,

I have a question about X, Y & Z.

Sincerely, Gatriel

----

Dear Gatriel,

Because this is a graded assignment I am unable to assist you at all. Good luck and have fun!

Sincerely, Professor

----

--ImageRemoved--

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:34 pm

Gatriel wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Dear Professor,

I have a question about X, Y & Z.

Sincerely, Gatriel

----

Dear Gatriel,

Because this is a graded assignment I am unable to assist you at all. Good luck and have fun!

Sincerely, Professor

----

--ImageRemoved--
This is my exact sentiment right now . . . again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:50 pm

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:30 pm

I teeter between

(wait for it)

and

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:58 pm

I'm ecstatic someone else posts in this thread. Apparently everyone loves LRW now.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:18 pm

Working on the first draft of my brief. I was supposed to finish it over the weekend but I got sick. Didn't realize how difficult it is to organize my argument. *It's just pass/fail, it's just pass/fail*

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:26 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:t. *It's just pass/fail, it's just pass/fail*
Seriously? I hate you.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32 pm

Gatriel wrote:I'm ecstatic someone else posts in this thread. Apparently everyone loves LRW now.

I've gone from not minding to loathing. And I've gone from grudging respect for my teacher to an ill feeling at thought of being cooped up in a room with her. She's gone round the psycho bend and hopped on the crazy train.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:38 pm

kalvano wrote:
Gatriel wrote:I'm ecstatic someone else posts in this thread. Apparently everyone loves LRW now.

I've gone from not minding to loathing.
This. It wouldn't be so bad at all if it was taught like a normal writing class: if you have questions the professor or TAs will answer them for you.

LRW is seriously the absolute, unequivocal worst class I have ever had in my entire academic career. EVER.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:56 pm

My problem is the lack of instruction. Last semester, when I sat down to write my open memo, I felt I knew vaguely how to write a memo. This semester, be it the structure of the class, the ice storms that canceled classes, whatever....I feel completely unprepared for writing a brief.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:27 am

Appellate brief due Friday. Still going through the cases as of right now, and I probably have a bit more research to do. Man, this is going to be a horrible brief. Good thing it is an ungraded rough draft. Just have to get something cranked out and then I can be "free" for spring break...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Final trial brief done along with 80% of my grade. I'm not going to lie, getting sick for that week really hurt me in LAWR this semester, though I think I still pulled it together in the end (of course, it all depends how my classmates did). On one hand, I'm jealous of everyone here who still only has rough drafts due... on the other hand, I'm glad I don't have this hanging over me during Spring Break.

After break, all we have left is oral argument.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Appellate brief sucks, due Monday and I am close to just throwing in the towel and turning in what I have. I literally have NO idea how to bluebook anything except for the really really basic stuff and pray that whatever job I end up with after graduation has interns or paralegals that will do it for me.

bilboteabaggins

New

Post by bilboteabaggins » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:40 pm

kalvano wrote:My problem is the lack of instruction. Last semester, when I sat down to write my open memo, I felt I knew vaguely how to write a memo. This semester, be it the structure of the class, the ice storms that canceled classes, whatever....I feel completely unprepared for writing a brief.
This is exactly how I feel.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”