Taking notes Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BCLS

Silver

Taking notes

Post by BCLS » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:31 pm

Hi all,

This may sound weird but how exactly does one take notes on the material in the casebook? Would briefing suffice? I intend on listening closely to class lectures and extracting the pertinent information which eventually will end up in my outline.

Besides taking notes in class, outlining, and briefing cases, what other ways are productive to take notes?

thwalls

Bronze

Re: Taking notes

Post by thwalls » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Edit: No, I won't do it.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:29 pm

If you go to Seattle U I would highly suggest not ever taking notes or going to class. I need more scholarship security ;)

/sarcasm

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:31 pm

savagedm wrote:If you go to Seattle U I would highly suggest not ever taking notes or going to class. I need more scholarship security ;)

/sarcasm
hahaha. I'm just wondering if I should be taking detailed notes throughout the casebook (other than briefing.)

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:37 pm

BCLS wrote:
savagedm wrote:If you go to Seattle U I would highly suggest not ever taking notes or going to class. I need more scholarship security ;)

/sarcasm
hahaha. I'm just wondering if I should be taking detailed notes throughout the casebook (other than briefing.)
Very simple rule: highlight the procedural history (known as procedural posture) if your prof cares about it. Know the basic facts of the case and the issue/rule. You should use supplements to go over the concepts you will discuss in class and write out a few notes beforehand. This takes roughly 10 extra mins of your time for the first few weeks per class. When class comes around, spend your time listening, participating (but for the love of God don't gun), and refining your notes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”