Is it dumb to.. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
danquayle

Silver

Re: Is it dumb to..

Post by danquayle » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Wavelet wrote:I actually did rely very heavily on online case briefs; instead of reading the casebook, I preferred to spend (a lot of) time reading hornbooks/supplements (i.e., something like this author suggests: http://www.top-law-schools.com/success- ... chool.html). Top 5% @ T20.
I just made this point in a bluebooking thread... its all about maximizing your ratio of effort to value returned. Droning through pages and pages of irrelevant fact and dicta just to glean the underlying concept is not the most efficient way to study. Go right to the concept, look at the briefs. If you don't understand the concept, then good to the book and hope the facts will be helpful.

I agree with you entirely, Wavelet: I did well by focusing my studies almost exclusively on supplements and hornbooks, while using the casebook as a resource. There's value in reading the cases, especially early on, but its not particularly efficient. If you can find a quicker way to learn the important substance, do it.

RP1983

Bronze

Post by RP1983 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:34 pm

danquayle wrote:
Wavelet wrote:I actually did rely very heavily on online case briefs; instead of reading the casebook, I preferred to spend (a lot of) time reading hornbooks/supplements (i.e., something like this author suggests: http://www.top-law-schools.com/success- ... chool.html). Top 5% @ T20.
I just made this point in a bluebooking thread... its all about maximizing your ratio of effort to value returned. Droning through pages and pages of irrelevant fact and dicta just to glean the underlying concept is not the most efficient way to study. Go right to the concept, look at the briefs. If you don't understand the concept, then good to the book and hope the facts will be helpful.

I agree with you entirely, Wavelet: I did well by focusing my studies almost exclusively on supplements and hornbooks, while using the casebook as a resource. There's value in reading the cases, especially early on, but its not particularly efficient. If you can find a quicker way to learn the important substance, do it.
Thank you for your post here. Can reccommend any supplements that I should be using for Civ pro, Property and Torts. For Civ Pro and Torts I have the Glannons and for Prop I have Gilberts. As far as westlaw, I am new to it so how would I find briefs? My professors seem to ask details in class discussion but I obviously only care about the final. As a matter of interest, how did you do during you 1L?

Columbia Law

Bronze

Post by Columbia Law » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:44 pm

yeah don't listen to these nerdy, socially awkward 0L losers who will never make it anywhere in real life. Do what you gotta do to succeed. If that means not reading cases, don't read them.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:28 pm

Columbia Law wrote:yeah don't listen to these nerdy, socially awkward 0L losers who will never make it anywhere in real life. Do what you gotta do to succeed. If that means not reading cases, don't read them.
Read the first few cases till you know how to do it properly, then move to expedited methods that work better. It is a waste of time after you know how to pick apart a case, but it's crucial to know how to pick them apart nonetheless.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:45 pm

Slightly OT, but what are some good websites for looking up online case briefs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:50 pm

zeth006 wrote:

Slightly OT, but what are some good websites for looking up online case briefs?
Great question! I have been Google[ing] and have seen consistent results from sites like 4lawschools.com, but have wondered if other sites allow a more comprehensive internal search.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:07 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”