Onenote for dummies? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LAWYER2

Silver

Onenote for dummies?

Post by LAWYER2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Okay admittedly, I'd never heard of Onenote prior to the start of law school and reading the TLS forums. I briefly glanced at some tutorials on youtube, but still don't know what the major advantage to this over Word is.
Can someone explain to me as if I were a 3 year old what One-note is, what it does, and why it's superior to traditional note-taking?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Onenote for dummies?

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:53 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Think of it like a bunch of word documents collected together. Basically it not only allows you to type but allows you to embed sound and images easily as well (including making your own scratch drawings). The main draw is that on top you have subdivisions, so you can have one section for notes, one for briefs, etc. On top of that, you also have separate sections within those divisions (on the right hand side) so you can have your notes separated by date and easily access your notes for a given date instead of having one long word document. It is also entirely searchable.

It is similar to word, just with added levels of organization. If you like it, use it. If you find it overwhelming and are comfortable with word, stick to word.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:59 pm

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:47 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:Okay admittedly, I'd never heard of Onenote prior to the start of law school and reading the TLS forums. I briefly glanced at some tutorials on youtube, but still don't know what the major advantage to this over Word is.
Can someone explain to me as if I were a 3 year old what One-note is, what it does, and why it's superior to traditional note-taking?

Go here
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=126811

RUQRU

Bronze

Post by RUQRU » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:55 pm

You are looking at an older version, here is a screen shot of OneNote 2007 provided by Matthies. OneNote 2010 is even better:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&start=25

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:08 pm

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:47 pm

kalvano wrote:Image

LoL my partner in my criminal class takes notes via the old fashion way. The other day she mentioned she might rethink not taking notes on a pc after seeing my notes. I simply type waaay neater and faster than I write and simply am a Gawd when it comes to bullets, out-ling, and highlighting.
But this One-note looks very inviting to me, especially the ability to site sources and links

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”