WestlawNext Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BobSacamano

Bronze

WestlawNext

Post by BobSacamano » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:32 pm

Anybody else's school get this today? I'm just poking around now but it seems pretty sweet. Searches for cases are less cumbersome, that's for sure. It's also much less ugly.

ETA: not a Westlaw rep.

inchoate_con

Bronze

Re: WestlawNext

Post by inchoate_con » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:15 pm

Interesting, I saw this post yesterday, but I did not have it. It just showed up today. Damn, a lot less cumbersome.

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:02 pm

betasteve wrote:How did you "get" it? It is asking me for a Westlaw next reg. code...
Fucking hell. I've wanted to see this for a while.
Did your old school not have westlaw?

Welp2277

New

Post by Welp2277 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:13 pm

betasteve wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:
betasteve wrote:How did you "get" it? It is asking me for a Westlaw next reg. code...
Fucking hell. I've wanted to see this for a while.
Did your old school not have westlaw?
I have westlaw, and I have access to westlaw. However, when I tried to log into westlawnext, it told me I needed a new registration code... lame sauce.
Weird... it didn't require me to use an extra registration code. However, WestlawNext doesn't print to the free Westlaw printers.

Welp2277

New

Post by Welp2277 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:18 pm

Yeah, when I log into Westlaw there is a blue bar at the top where you can click on WestlawNext. When you click it a separate window should open up with the new features.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

inchoate_con

Bronze

Post by inchoate_con » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:19 pm

I had to log-out and create a new password.

LadyTarHeelian

New

Post by LadyTarHeelian » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:26 pm

Our Westlaw rep told us that most schools aren't getting it until January. Only a few get to be the guinea pigs. WestlawNext is awesome except you can't print to the Westlaw printers from it :(

Vegas_Rebel

Bronze

Post by Vegas_Rebel » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:22 pm

UNLV / Boyd has it, but I haven't really tinkered with it yet.

There's a training in a couple weeks to show us how it all works, though.

RickyMack

New

Post by RickyMack » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:00 am

I also signed up for the training for Westlaw next last week, then all of a sudden today I was greeted with a less ugly UI! personally i was digging LexisNexis cause it seemed less cumbersome but I am intrigued how this is gonna turn out.

On a side note completely unrelated to topic, I tried to install Lexis for Microsoft Office on my Office 2010, apparently there's an issue if you previously had Office 2007 on it. I've been in contact with the regional tech support and today had a web meeting with him, this other dude from Lexis and the programmer from India. Long story short they told me they'd have a fix up for me in a day or two.

being a guinea pig sure is interesting!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:44 am

LadyTarHeelian wrote:Our Westlaw rep told us that most schools aren't getting it until January. Only a few get to be the guinea pigs. WestlawNext is awesome except you can't print to the Westlaw printers from it :(
+1

Currently only 25% of schools have it. I like it so far, it's very intuitive and much easier on the eyes than regular Westlaw.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:28 pm

Westlaw Next >>>>>> anything else.

I used Lexis when I worked in a law firm, but always sort of preferred Westlaw (now rebranded as Westlaw Classic or whatnot). Westlaw Next blows both of these out of the water. I don't know how LN is going to stay in business.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:50 pm

westlawnext is the best thing to happen to legal research since the computer.

it essentially brings google interface to legal research

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Westlaw Next >>>>>> anything else.

I used Lexis when I worked in a law firm, but always sort of preferred Westlaw (now rebranded as Westlaw Classic or whatnot). Westlaw Next blows both of these out of the water. I don't know how LN is going to stay in business.
I have to assume that LexisNext is in the pipeline. If they were sitting around knowing this was coming, they deserve to lose their entire marketshare.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:07 pm

Westlaw Next is pretty awesome. I just sat through a Lexis seminar recently, and the interface is ass. I'll still learn it since Westlaw Next won't be the norm everywhere, and Lexis or Westlaw Classic still might be what I have to use later on.

It's not set up with the Westlaw printers yet, but once you have the case cite, it isn't too bad to go back to Westlaw Classic to print it out.

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:31 pm

I want to make the sweet sweet love to WestlawNext. The only thing I'm worried about is becoming overly dependent on it. Our Westlaw rep didn't seem to feel it would catch on very quickly despite the fact that it's so much better, since lawyers tend to be resistant to change. LOL

stab master arson

Bronze

Post by stab master arson » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:09 pm

I can't seem to get it to work on Firefox. But then, I've got about a three different script/flash-cookie/pop-up blocker add-ons running, so who knows.

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:25 pm

Kohinoor wrote: I have to assume that LexisNext is in the pipeline. If they were sitting around knowing this was coming, they deserve to lose their entire marketshare.
I've heard that that they are planning something, but it's going to be quite some time before they roll it out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Wow. Just checked it out, and it is waaaaay easier to use. The "copy with reference" function will actually do the doc citation for you. Pretty sweet. I also like the easy-to-access folders for storing research. What are some other awesome things it can do?

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Don't use it, you will never have access to this in practice.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:24 pm

Teoeo wrote:Don't use it, you will never have access to this in practice.
I wonder the cost difference to a firm?

Frankly though I doubt it is going to matter much. Pretty soon google will offer a similar service for free or cheap. They already do with patents.

We have it, but I don't use it. I get kind of annoyed it defaults to it too.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:38 am

Teoeo wrote:Don't use it, you will never have access to this in practice.
yea, but i'll never be doing inane journal shit in practice either. so westlawnext it is.

inchoate_con

Bronze

Post by inchoate_con » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:41 am

stab master arson wrote:I can't seem to get it to work on Firefox. But then, I've got about a three different script/flash-cookie/pop-up blocker add-ons running, so who knows.
No problem with Firefox OR chrome

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”