Old fart 1Ls Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
inchoate_con

Bronze

Re: The 1L Old Fart thread (25+)

Post by inchoate_con » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:13 pm

My age factored into choosing a school that ranks a lot lower than the other "option."

Average age is 28-29 and haven't felt out of place at all. Granted, I'm about as mature as a 16 year old; that is, according to my 16 year old, ha.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:26 pm

What about getting jobs? Some people say that being older is seen in a negative light, because nobody wants to hire the late bloomer who couldn't get their life together earlier. Other (hopefully wiser) folks say that our work experience is a plus. I am hoping that age just doesn't really matter as much as grades, experiences in school, and general attitude/personality, but I spend a lot of my time hoping that the world is a much nicer place than it actually is...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Burger in a can wrote:What about getting jobs? Some people say that being older is seen in a negative light, because nobody wants to hire the late bloomer who couldn't get their life together earlier. Other (hopefully wiser) folks say that our work experience is a plus. I am hoping that age just doesn't really matter as much as grades, experiences in school, and general attitude/personality, but I spend a lot of my time hoping that the world is a much nicer place than it actually is...
Everything I've heard (and this is from career counselors at multiple schools as well as hiring attorneys at several public interest places) suggests age and work experience are significant pluses because they imply a maturity that those fresh out of UG will lack when they graduate law school. However, I've heard that sometimes it's a problem in BigLaw, not because of perception, but because it's hard for people who've lived on their own and worked their way up somewhere once to adapt to starting at the bottom again and being treated the way associates at some firms are treated. It really depends on the individual situation and the firm/partner you're dealing with, though.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:29 pm

I don't think age matters that much, until you're pushing close to 40 or so, then it might be an issue.

inchoate_con

Bronze

Post by inchoate_con » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:35 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:What about getting jobs? Some people say that being older is seen in a negative light, because nobody wants to hire the late bloomer who couldn't get their life together earlier. Other (hopefully wiser) folks say that our work experience is a plus. I am hoping that age just doesn't really matter as much as grades, experiences in school, and general attitude/personality, but I spend a lot of my time hoping that the world is a much nicer place than it actually is...
Everything I've heard (and this is from career counselors at multiple schools as well as hiring attorneys at several public interest places) suggests age and work experience are significant pluses because they imply a maturity that those fresh out of UG will lack when they graduate law school. However, I've heard that sometimes it's a problem in BigLaw, not because of perception, but because it's hard for people who've lived on their own and worked their way up somewhere once to adapt to starting at the bottom again and being treated the way associates at some firms are treated. It really depends on the individual situation and the firm/partner you're dealing with, though.
Almost exactly what I was told several times. Further, my father does all the hiring for a large firm and said they prefer someone in their 30s. 25 v. 35 are two different worlds. Biglaw... I would think age would matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:36 pm

Not going to lie, I'm scared too :) Last year I was hanging out with some just out of college kids, and one made the comment that "well, in our generation blah blah blah" to me... I was only 5 years older than her! That's the same generation!!

I'm 29 now. Hopefully it's a positive and not a negative.

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:37 pm

Does anyone know what the median (not average) age of law students is?

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:39 pm

I'm 29 as well and I'll admit that I was a little bit hesitant regarding age, but after day 1 of orientation I feel pretty confident that it will be a non-issue. In fact, the more I looked around and listened to some of the discussions, I feel it's going to be an advantage....I hope.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:40 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:Does anyone know what the median (not average) age of law students is?
A quick googling found that Yale's class of 2012 was median age 24. It doesn't look like there is data stretching across all of the schools, but you could probably get stats on 4 or 5 from T14 to the fourth tier to get a general idea?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:41 pm

It also matters on whether you look old.

I get hit on by girls that are in their early twenties cause I pass for someone in their early twenties.

Still, age is not an issue.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:42 pm

GATORTIM wrote: In fact, the more I looked around and listened to some of the discussions, I feel it's going to be an advantage....I hope.

I feel very confident that it will. I remember how foolish I was at 23, 24 as compared to today.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:42 pm

GATORTIM wrote:I'm 29 as well and I'll admit that I was a little bit hesitant regarding age, but after day 1 of orientation I feel pretty confident that it will be a non-issue. In fact, the more I looked around and listened to some of the discussions, I feel it's going to be an advantage....I hope.

I heard some kids across the street talking about how 'Lil Wayne is the most "prolithic [sic]" rapper. I felt wicked old.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:43 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:I get hit on by girls that are in their early twenties cause I pass for someone in their early twenties.

Lulz.

I told my wife she better be nice to me or I will dump her for some young law school chick.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:44 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:I'm 29 as well and I'll admit that I was a little bit hesitant regarding age, but after day 1 of orientation I feel pretty confident that it will be a non-issue. In fact, the more I looked around and listened to some of the discussions, I feel it's going to be an advantage....I hope.

I heard some kids across the street talking about how 'Lil Wayne is the most "prolithic [sic]" rapper. I felt wicked old.

The oldest I've ever felt was in the video store a few years ago, and two kids were looking at Speed, and one asked the other what it was about, and the other said he didn't know.

Everyone my age knew what Speed was about.

/killself.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:46 pm

kalvano wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:I get hit on by girls that are in their early twenties cause I pass for someone in their early twenties.

Lulz.

I told my wife she better be nice to me or I will dump her for some young law school chick.
The girlies at my school aren't much to look at -- you're lucky. 8)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:46 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:Does anyone know what the median (not average) age of law students is?
A quick googling found that Yale's class of 2012 was median age 24. It doesn't look like there is data stretching across all of the schools, but you could probably get stats on 4 or 5 from T14 to the fourth tier to get a general idea?
IIRC, many schools list a median age of 24. I think Northwestern's is higher (26?) due to their extreme preference for people with work experience relative to other schools. But that's just off the top of my head and I could be wrong.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:47 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Lulz.

The girlies at my school aren't much to look at -- you're lucky. 8)
One advantage to SMU.

My wife promptly socked me in the arm really hard.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:49 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
IIRC, many schools list a median age of 24. I think Northwestern's is higher (26?) due to their extreme preference for people with work experience relative to other schools. But that's just off the top of my head and I could be wrong.
Did you do OCI at Harvard? I guess if you had, you would have already chimed in about whether your age seemed to matter, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:56 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Did you do OCI at Harvard? I guess if you had, you would have already chimed in about whether your age seemed to matter, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
It hasn't happened yet.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:57 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:Did you do OCI at Harvard? I guess if you had, you would have already chimed in about whether your age seemed to matter, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
It hasn't happened yet.
:oops:

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:59 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests.

I'm 27 and I went to a social event facilitated by our 2L "co-counsels" last night. They were 22 and 23, and I had absolutely nothing in common with them. I agree that being a touch older will be beneficial, but I'm not sure if I will go far enough to say it's an advantage. I'm pretty settled down with my fiancee and won't feel the need to go out every night, which I think will be helpful. I also am used to working long hours reading dry, legal material, experience I wouldn't have had if I hadn't taken time off to work.

Still, I feel uneasy about being out of the workforce until I'm 30.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:59 pm

kalvano wrote:The oldest I've ever felt was in the video store a few years ago, and two kids were looking at Speed, and one asked the other what it was about, and the other said he didn't know.

/killself.
haha, how could somebody not know the story of lieutenant Jack Travens?!? "They were cans, they were cans...it was full of cans!"

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:00 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
kalvano wrote:The oldest I've ever felt was in the video store a few years ago, and two kids were looking at Speed, and one asked the other what it was about, and the other said he didn't know.

/killself.
haha, how could somebody not know the story of lieutenant Jack Travens?!? "They were cans, they were cans...it was full of cans!"
Speed rocks! I like Keanue's truck. Keanue is also a decent actor.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:04 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
I couldnt agree with you more! KR gets a lotta shit talked about him, but he is one of my all-time favs: Point Break, the aforementioned Speed (too bad that assclown Jason Patric was in Speed 2: Cruise Control; although the TuneMan did make a cameo and Lauren Hutton, errr I mean the Green Goblin was pretty good), The Replacements, Matrix

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:06 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
I couldnt agree with you more! KR gets a lotta shit talked about him, but he is one of my all-time favs: Point Break, the aforementioned Speed (too bad that assclown Jason Patric was in Speed 2: Cruise Control; although the TuneMan did make a cameo and Lauren Hutton, errr I mean the Green Goblin was pretty good), The Replacements, Matrix

Point Break is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Biegelow is a fantastic director.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”