Does anyone know any IT people at Lexis/Westlaw? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
engineer

Bronze

Does anyone know any IT people at Lexis/Westlaw?

Post by engineer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:54 pm

So I'm back from my sabbatical, and I'm sick and tired of having my tech support questions routed to India or wherever. This is nothing against them, since I'm sure that the majority of questions they answer are along the lines of "why does my password show up as asterisks??????" -- but they are profoundly under-qualified to answer anything requiring even a minimal amount of thought.

Anyway, enough of that. Basically, if any of you know of network administrators, programmers, etc. at Westlaw or LexisNexis, I'd truly appreciate it if you could forward me an e-mail address or phone number. I have no way of escalating my call, and I'm really interested in having a bit of a back-end question answered.

Grad_Student

Bronze

Re: Does anyone know any IT people at Lexis/Westlaw?

Post by Grad_Student » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:22 pm

I can put you in contact with the PR lady of Lexis. PM me

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:31 pm

Here's a trick, e-mail the technical contact listed for their domain names, along with admin@, security@, and webmaster@. If they aren't the right people, they definitely know them.

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:01 pm

blowhard wrote:Here's a trick, e-mail the technical contact listed for their domain names, along with admin@, security@, and webmaster@. If they aren't the right people, they definitely know them.
Yeah, that's usually what I do as a worst-case type of thing. Looking up the DNS zone file (using dnstools or whatever the free alternative is) usually reveals their DNS e-mail, which has to be a working e-mail. Domain WHOIS info is also supposed to be correct, but more often than not, e-mailing those addresses results in an auto-response message asking you to submit the appropriate form on their web site.

Unfortunately, in order to talk to people who matter at large companies, you have to matter or you have to know someone.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:12 pm

engineer wrote:
blowhard wrote:Here's a trick, e-mail the technical contact listed for their domain names, along with admin@, security@, and webmaster@. If they aren't the right people, they definitely know them.
Yeah, that's usually what I do as a worst-case type of thing. Looking up the DNS zone file (using dnstools or whatever the free alternative is) usually reveals their DNS e-mail, which has to be a working e-mail. Domain WHOIS info is also supposed to be correct, but more often than not, e-mailing those addresses results in an auto-response message asking you to submit the appropriate form on their web site.

Unfortunately, in order to talk to people who matter at large companies, you have to matter or you have to know someone.
Did you try their business/corporate line and not their sales line?

CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS
125 Park Ave Ste 2200
New York NY 10017-5529
(212) 309-8100

U.S. REGION HEADQUARTERS
P.O. Box 933
Dayton, Ohio 45401-0933
(800) 227-9597

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:10 pm

What is it you want to know, anyway? I once asked Westlaw questions about their query logic and why there was no XOR--that didn't get too far.

You might try complaining to one of their research people too. I'm sure they don't want their tech staff to be letting them down while each competes with the other for hearts and minds.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”