Hornbooks for Incoming Class Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
drwho97

New

Hornbooks for Incoming Class

Post by drwho97 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:45 pm

Which editions and authors are the way to go for the following classes when choosing a hornbook:

Civil Procedure;
Criminal Law;
Torts;
Contracts; and
Property

Thank you for response

Gold

Re: Hornbooks for Incoming Class

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Smart idea! Nobody's really discussed this yet, I can't wait to see what people have to say : )

drwho97

New

Post by drwho97 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Are you being sarcastic? I apologize if this has been already discussed.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:09 pm

drwho97 wrote:Are you being sarcastic? I apologize if this has been already discussed.
In responding to your question, I choose to simply copy and paste the first 5 threads from this forum:

COMMON 0L QUESTIONS books, study guides, E&Es, studying,etc <--- thread that answers your question in excruciating detail

0L? READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS FORUM! <--- thread that admonishes you for not reading prior thread

1L Exam Questions and Links

Columbia, NYU, and Duke students

Hornbooks for Incoming Class <--- your thread

drwho97

New

Post by drwho97 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:14 pm

I have read through those post already. I am aware that several post mention editions pertaining to hornbooks. The problem is that there are so many post that mix and match hornbooks and E&Es that is difficult to figure out which hornbooks to match with the above mentioned courses. I think a thread with the best hornbooks for the above mentioned courses would benefit a lot of people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:15 pm

drwho97 wrote:I have read through those post already. I am aware that several post mention editions pertaining to hornbooks. The problem is that there are so many post that mix and match hornbooks and E&Es that is difficult to figure out which hornbooks to match with the above mentioned courses. I think a thread with the best hornbooks for the above mentioned courses would benefit a lot of people.
thats cause ppl have different opinions

drwho97

New

Post by drwho97 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:17 pm

That is true, but I wouldnt hurt for a current law student or former 1L to post the ones that he/she thinks are best. I am aware that there are many editions and publishers for hornbooks. I am just not sure which ones are up to date with the the course.

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:49 pm

As a rising 2L, I advise you that I read through those threads last summer, and agree with the advice there. Here's a summary: Chirelstein for contracts, Glannon E&E for civ pro, Abraham for torts, Chemerinsky for con law, Sprankling for property, Dressler for crim.

Beantownkid

New

Post by Beantownkid » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:21 pm

Having completed the first year, I am sharing some advice regarding hornbooks/studying based upon my experience.

Generally, I would advise not to spend too much time studying with the aid of hornbooks. Especially where your professor is very clear and you are able to understand the concepts from his/her class notes, hornbooks are not necessary. I would advise them only for classes where your professors make the material difficult to comprehend.

Instead, I am offering the following three tips, which I believe, if followed, will put you in the best position to succeed on your first-year law school exams:

1. Great class notes- just like in college, there is no substitute for excellent class notes. they are a reflection of how the teacher approaches the subject, and thus how he/she will approach the exam. taking great class notes will put you in a strong position for the exam. try not to waste too much time gchatting in class, or you will be wasting final exam points. some exams, just like in college, end up being about throwing out the buzz words or phrases your professor talked about in class.

2. Old exams- I feel like this is where a lot of people fall behind. Old exams are key to really understanding how the concepts tie together, and most importantly, how your professor wants answers to the exam structured. Too many people lose points because of disorganized exam answers. One of the best suggestions I can give is to take copies of old exams and answers into the exam. In property for example, if there is an issue spotter that deals with an easement, copy the analysis the professor used on his old exam for an easement, but substitute with the exam facts.

3. Old outlines- Instead of making outlines from scratch, I would advise getting an outline from someone who did well in a class, and reworking it to make it your own. This may depend on the person, but for someone who is disorganized like me, it has proven very helpful.

In closing, where a professor outlines the concepts and rules clearly, there really is no need for a hornbook if you follow these three suggestions. I found that those who did best in my class did not rely heavily on hornbooks, but rather took great class notes, used old outlines effectively, and practiced the old exams. I think hornbooks make studying more confusing and time-consuming, because they don't exactly fit with the professor's syllabus.

Feel free to message me with questions.

The Beantown Kid

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drwho97

New

Post by drwho97 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:38 pm

I want to thank the last two individuals for their informative posts.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:52 pm

disco_barred wrote:Smart idea! Nobody's really discussed this yet, I can't wait to see what people have to say : )
I don't hate you anymore. The smiley at the end kinda ruins it though.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:55 pm

drwho97 wrote:I have read through those post already. I am aware that several post mention editions pertaining to hornbooks. The problem is that there are so many post that mix and match hornbooks and E&Es that is difficult to figure out which hornbooks to match with the above mentioned courses. I think a thread with the best hornbooks for the above mentioned courses would benefit a lot of people.
My less than comprehensive law school advice of the day - ahem: post is not plural, and you will fail legal writing for using it as such.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:00 pm

drwho97 wrote:I want to thank the last two individuals for their informative posts.
Those poster's harmed you more with there informative posts than Disco and I. Law school is about learning broad principles from thousands of pages of rambling incoherent writing. Reading the old threads and finding the common ground might actually help you when you get to law school.

como

Silver

Post by como » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:38 pm

The value of any hornbook is generally a function of your professor's interests/focus/style. However, there are two that I believe are universally valuable:

Dressler, "Understanding Criminal Law"
Friedenthal, Kane and Miller, "Civil Procedure"

Hornbooks are only good for getting a comprehensive overview of a particular field, so stay ahead of your assigned reading in the hornbook. I wouldn't suggest that you replace your casebook with your hornbook as the "Success in Law School" article recommends; however, of course it is a great idea to start taking practice exams early.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”