CCN oci strategy Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Chuch

New

CCN oci strategy

Post by Chuch » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:39 pm

@ ccn. around top 10%. law review. named scholarship if that matters. on the board of a couple of resume boosters. good work experience.
my gpa is above the mean/median for all but two firms coming to campus. career services staff say bid on firms your above, but that's unhelpful for me. i'm having a hard time with strategy. any thoughts/advice appreciated.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Re: CCN oci strategy

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:43 pm

Chuch wrote:@ ccn. around top 10%. law review. named scholarship if that matters. on the board of a couple of resume boosters. good work experience.
my gpa is above the mean/median for all but two firms coming to campus. career services staff say bid on firms your above, but that's unhelpful for me. i'm having a hard time with strategy. any thoughts/advice appreciated.
umm

(1) Kill it [check]
(2) ????
(3) Profit

i think as long as (2) doesn't include flagrant and profane seduction of your interviewer, you're pretty much at 3 aren't u? even then, it might depend on the inteviewer... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYJCHoEDNgs

Chuch

New

Post by Chuch » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:47 pm

should i just put cravath #1 etc, or should i start guessing what everyone else will do and try to maximize? also, was considering bidding nyc, dc, chicago and maybe somewhere in cali.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:05 pm

Chuch wrote:should i just put cravath #1 etc, or should i start guessing what everyone else will do and try to maximize?
without knowing any of your priorities/preferences, this question is meaningless - if you want cravath, put it #1 - if you're looking for something else (i.e. cravath sounds like hell to you, even though it'd be great for the resume), you can put it lower on the list - i mean, for god's sake, even if you don't land the interview with them, you can always resume drop and they'll be glad to give you a look

you need to start thinking about where you want to be and what you want to do for a career - without that info, we can't give you any advice that's worth anything (obviously no doors are closed to you)

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:13 pm

doyleoil wrote:you need to start thinking about where you want to be and what you want to do for a career - without that info, we can't give you any advice that's worth anything (obviously no doors are closed to you)
This. Otherwise, it just sounds like you're here to brag.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

spondee wrote:
doyleoil wrote:you need to start thinking about where you want to be and what you want to do for a career - without that info, we can't give you any advice that's worth anything (obviously no doors are closed to you)
+1. why i gave the sarcastic response. and really, no love for the awesome Mr. Show link? For shame people.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:16 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
spondee wrote:
+1. why i gave the sarcastic response. and really, no love for the awesome Mr. Show link? For shame people.
i'm usually too lazy to clink on links

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:21 pm

On a separate note, bid threads are kind of stupid in most cases. Understandably, no one wants to give the kind of info that will out them. But usually it's the info that will out you that's most (or at least highly) relevant to getting good advice. This is why you have friends. And OCS. And informational interviewing. And upperclassmen on law review. And the list goes on.

Most of the time coming to TLS for this stuff is pretty lame.

Chuch

New

Post by Chuch » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:30 pm

you guys are super helpful, but it seems you dont understand what i'm asking. some people with good grades put their #1 choice #1, #2 choice #2 etc. others, assuming that most people wont bother putting skadden (or whatever) at all or at least not early, strategize to maximize the # of interviews they will do with weaker firms. this is often what people are referring to when they ask for an oci strategy. i'm asking if its even worth it to risk any interviews with top firms for a chance to have more, and if so how would you go about it.

@doyleoil: i haven't been on here in a while but you were a hater when i left and still a hater now. the only thing lame about asking for law school advice on a law school forum is getting responses from people like you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:33 pm

Chuch wrote:you guys are super helpful, but it seems you dont understand what i'm asking. some people with good grades put their #1 choice #1, #2 choice #2 etc. others, assuming that most people wont bother putting skadden (or whatever) at all or at least not early, strategize to maximize the # of interviews they will do with weaker firms. this is often what people are referring to when they ask for an oci strategy. i'm asking if its even worth it to risk any interviews with top firms for a chance to have more, and if so how would you go about it.

@doyleoil: i haven't been on here in a while but you were a hater when i left and still a hater now. the only thing lame about asking for law school advice on a law school forum is getting responses from people like you.
top 10% at CCN should be able to figure something simple like this out w/o help from haters, no?

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm

doyleoil wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
spondee wrote:
i'm usually too lazy to clink on links
if you don't know what i mean from the context and the Mr. Show reference, then you should by all means click on that link. it's hysterical.

como

Silver

Post by como » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:37 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Chuch wrote:you guys are super helpful, but it seems you dont understand what i'm asking. some people with good grades put their #1 choice #1, #2 choice #2 etc. others, assuming that most people wont bother putting skadden (or whatever) at all or at least not early, strategize to maximize the # of interviews they will do with weaker firms. this is often what people are referring to when they ask for an oci strategy. i'm asking if its even worth it to risk any interviews with top firms for a chance to have more, and if so how would you go about it.

top 10% at CCN should be able to figure something simple like this out w/o help from haters, no?
I don't know. I'm less than impressed with some of the top 10%ers in our midst.

Chuch

New

Post by Chuch » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:41 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Susan: You know, Kevin from accounting is doing very well. He just bought a house in a very nice part of town.

Jane (hater): If he is doing so well why does he drive that '89 Taurus?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hater

you don't have to respond to threads you don't like. but you did.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Chuch wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Susan: You know, Kevin from accounting is doing very well. He just bought a house in a very nice part of town.

Jane (hater): If he is doing so well why does he drive that '89 Taurus?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hater

you don't have to respond to threads you don't like. but you did.
"A person that simply cannot be happy for another person's success. So rather than be happy they make a point of exposing a flaw in that person. Hating, the result of being a hater, is not exactly jealousy. The hater doesnt really want to be the person he or she hates, rather the hater wants to knock somelse down a notch."

so you're admitting you have a flaw then? perhaps it's coming on here for this advice with those stats and not expecting sarcasm in response. poor judgment i suppose. clearly you do know the different ways one could tack on this issue, so why don't you just figure it out for urself, put ur big girl panties on, and make a game plan and stick with it? also, the condescending attitude you took in deigning to explain what you meant by asking about OCI strategy doesn't bode well for your personality over all.

HTH.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:03 pm

Best to use your top 5 bids for the firms you really want (if WLRK is among them, I'd bid that #5, since it is unlikely to fill up) and then order the next 10 bids in a way that factors in popularity/accessibility. Cast a wide net with your remaining bids, possibly including elite firms outside your major market (e.g., if you're shooting for NYC, bid on Irell/Munger).

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Bid for the firms you want. Place the firms you really want higher on your bid list. Interview. Try to get job.

There ya go, that's what you need to do. Not sure why you had to ask, or what responses you expected to get.

anonymous_dude

New

Post by anonymous_dude » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:34 pm

Chuch wrote:should i just put cravath #1 etc, or should i start guessing what everyone else will do and try to maximize? also, was considering bidding nyc, dc, chicago and maybe somewhere in cali.
I wouldn't try to guess how others will bid. You might really muck it up.

I also think bidding multiple markets (D.C., Chicago, NYC, SF, LA, etc.) is a bad idea.

You will be a very competitive candidate. I would just focus on the firms that you want to work at and are strong in the practice areas that interest you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Chuch

New

Post by Chuch » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks to the last several people for the advice. I especially liked edcranes idea to lock up the top 5 with my top 5 and then get a little more creative.

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:53 pm

i think locking up top5 with ur top5 is dumb. i had wachtell at 10 and got them and cravath at 20 something and got them. i am at ccn too btw. i would focus your top5 on popular firms.

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:01 pm

ruski wrote:i think locking up top5 with ur top5 is dumb. i had wachtell at 10 and got them and cravath at 20 something and got them. i am at ccn too btw. i would focus your top5 on popular firms.
I had cravath in the high 30s and got them...

Chuch

New

Post by Chuch » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:01 pm

Thanks and thanks. That's the type of info I'm looking for.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:21 pm

ruski wrote:i think locking up top5 with ur top5 is dumb. i had wachtell at 10 and got them and cravath at 20 something and got them. i am at ccn too btw. i would focus your top5 on popular firms.
You're right that you'll probably get your top 5 firms (assuming they are all highly selective) even if you bid them in the 10-20 range, but if you do so, there's a nontrivial chance that you'll misjudge firm popularity and end up getting 3/5 instead of 5/5. IMO, that would be a serious error, even if netted you 4 "popular firms"--I'd much rather have a screening interview at DPW but none at Skadden, Weil, Shearman, or Jones Day than the reverse. Once you move beyond a certain range (IMO, ~top 5), however, you're far enough into second choices that it makes sense to start trading off preference for quantity of interviews.

catdogcowchicken

New

Post by catdogcowchicken » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm in a similar situation . . .

On the one hand, I want to make sure that I get interviews with my preferred firms.

On the other hand, it seems silly to place them as my top bids because bidding on these firms isnt very competitive, and of course I want to maximize the number of interviews i get, esp. ITE.

Do all firms that come to OCI generally have the same number of interview slots? Does a V50 firm have as many slots as a V5? Or do V5 firms have fewer slots because there is less bidding on their firms?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:58 pm

catdogcowchicken wrote:Do all firms that come to OCI generally have the same number of interview slots? Does a V50 firm have as many slots as a V5? Or do V5 firms have fewer slots because there is less bidding on their firms?
You must obtain this information from career services. Firms vary widely in number of interview slots and it will be very important to creating a strong bidding strategy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”