John Yoo, Richard Epstein, and Liz Wurtzel Walk Into a Bar… Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RUQRU

Bronze

John Yoo, Richard Epstein, and Liz Wurtzel Walk Into a Bar…

Post by RUQRU » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:04 am

This is a great article about the bar exam at Above the Law...
--LinkRemoved--

Wurtzel lambasted the bar exam as pointless and a waste of time:
The common denominator among the bar-failers in my class at Yale Law School—and there were a few—was a complete inability to comply with senseless rules; they weren’t the best students, but they were the tartest and the sharpest people—and the least likely to accept the constraints of Big Law that make neither financial nor intellectual sense: the fifty-state survey to prove a negative, the memo to nowhere, the repetitive brief that says nothing and gets read by no one. The inefficiency of law and litigation in practice begin with the complete waste of effort that is its licensing ritual.
Richard Epstein is one of the nation’s leading law professors — U. Chicago and NYU — and an outspoken libertarian says:
There is a good reason why some Yale Law School graduates fail the bar. They do not learn enough law in law school to carry them through the tedium of the bar examination. It is a real black mark against my alma mater (class of 1968) that so many of its students do not take enough core courses to know law. It is also a mistake to think of the law as a set of senseless rules. The students who fail the bar can’t work with any set of rules. There are virtually no students at the top of the class who don’t pass the bar.

Indeed the insistence that intelligent students can deal with rules that make “neither financial or intellectual sense” gets it exactly backwards. I am never hired to explain rules that everyone understands. I work in areas that make no financial or intellectual sense, where the herculean task is to put some order in a tiny corner of the overall situation. The inefficiency of law and litigation does not begin with the licensing ritual. It begins with the silly statutes and convoluted rules that legislatures and courts put in place.

You could repeal the bar tomorrow and nothing would change on that score. Ms. Wurtzel turns out to be a graduate of Yale Law school. But an expert on the bar examination she is not.
Thoughts?

doyleoil

Silver

Re: John Yoo, Richard Epstein, and Liz Wurtzel Walk Into a Bar…

Post by doyleoil » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:05 am

Epstein smart, thoughtful.

Wurtzel dumb, entitled.

Any questions?

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:16 am

PSA: Reflect on yourself and make sure that you are a best-selling author or, at the very least, YLS Class of XX before you start bashing Wurtzel's intelligence.

With that said, Wurtzel is a D-S'er who somehow still gets publications to use her "I'm hot" Prozac Nation picture of 15 years ago in articles.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:23 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:PSA:

Reflect on yourself and make sure that you are a best-selling author or, at the very least, YLS Class of XX before you start bashing Wurtzel.
By this logic, we're not allowed to bash Danielle Steele either. Regardless of Wurtzel's intelligence, her article in this case was pretty weak.

Edit: I am not bashing or advocating bashing of Wurtzel generally, I just don't think you have to be a bestselling author or at YLS to say that much of this specific article was silly.
Last edited by Aeroplane on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:29 am

Aeroplane wrote: By this logic, we're not allowed to bash Danielle Steele either. Regardless of Wurtzel's intelligence, her article in this case was pretty weak.
Why would I want to bash my favorite romance novel author??? :lol: And I agree with you regarding the strength of her article. Tart? Sassy?

I just am tired of everyone saying she's a complete dumbass.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:30 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:PSA: Reflect on yourself and make sure that you are a best-selling author or, at the very least, YLS Class of XX before you start bashing Wurtzel's intelligence.

With that said, Wurtzel is a D-S'er who somehow still gets publications to use her "I'm hot" Prozac Nation picture of 15 years ago in articles.
Liz Wurtzel is a buffoon. Just because she went to Yale doesn't make her immune from criticism.

Sorry, but I'm FAR more impressed by the intelligence of some of the people on TLS than some hack author who got famous by writing about abusing drugs and got a measly 160 on the LSAT.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:33 am

Person fails bar, writes article about how people who fail the bar are really just sharp, tart rebels who play by their own rules and besides the bar is stupid anyway. Suspicious?

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:36 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:
Aeroplane wrote: By this logic, we're not allowed to bash Danielle Steele either. Regardless of Wurtzel's intelligence, her article in this case was pretty weak.
Why would I want to bash my favorite romance novel author??? :lol: And I agree with you regarding the strength of her article. Tart? Sassy?

I just am tired of everyone saying she's a complete dumbass.
Yeah I dont think she's dumb at all.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:36 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Person fails bar, writes article about how people who fail the bar are really just sharp, tart rebels who play by their own rules and besides the bar is stupid anyway. Suspicious?
My thoughts exactly.

And to people who think this woman is intelligent, I'd love to hear one shred of evidence for why.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:40 am

romothesavior wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Person fails bar, writes article about how people who fail the bar are really just sharp, tart rebels who play by their own rules and besides the bar is stupid anyway. Suspicious?
My thoughts exactly.

And to people who think this woman is intelligent, I'd love to hear one shred of evidence for why.
She's really witty sometimes. Doesn't mean I'd want her in charge of bar admissions, but I do think she's bright.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:44 am

Wurtzel failed the fucking bar once too? This woman is absolute FAIL, she got into Yale with a 160 LSAT and a bestselling book. The fact that this woman graduated Harvard UG and Yale law is a FAIL to the Ivy league "prestige".

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:47 am

Aeroplane wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
My thoughts exactly.

She's really witty sometimes. Doesn't mean I'd want her in charge of bar admissions, but I do think she's bright.
Witty /=/ smart.

I am witty and I am going to WUSTTTL. Case closed.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:49 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:PSA: Reflect on yourself and make sure that you are a best-selling author or, at the very least, YLS Class of XX before you start bashing Wurtzel's intelligence.

PSA: STFU

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:50 am

romothesavior wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
My thoughts exactly.

Witty /=/ smart.

She graduated with honors from Harvard UG. I love you bromo but I think you are using the LSAT as an end-all proxy for intelligence right now.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:53 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
My thoughts exactly.

Witty /=/ smart.

She graduated with honors from Harvard UG. I love you bromo but I think you are using the LSAT as an end-all proxy for intelligence right now.
And by the same token, I think you are using "wrote a famous book" and "went to Yale Law" as an end-all proxy for intelligence.

And I love you too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”