Casebook "professional edition" ? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TTH

Diamond

Casebook "professional edition" ?

Post by TTH » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:23 pm

I'm looking on bigwords.com for casebooks and in one of the product descriptions, it says the following
This is a Professional Copy. It is a US edition book, same as the student edition, except with free copy markings.}
Has anyone ever used a "professional edition" casebook before or know what they mean by copy markings?

MURPH

Silver

Re: Casebook "professional edition" ?

Post by MURPH » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:13 am

It sounds like more reading. Just what you'll need.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:38 am

noquieromas

New

Post by noquieromas » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:16 am

It's a free version, given to a professor or other "professional." Just as book and music critics sell their free promotional copies of new releases to used book and record stores, apparently now law profs are doing the same. I'd imagine law profs -- especially those that teach big lecture courses and 1L classes -- get dozens of these each year. At $150 a pop x 90 students x however many years the prof teaches, there's a lot of $$$ at stake for textbook publishers. Pretty funny that they're selling them online, given the dubious legality of the practice, but it's probably better than throwing them in the trash. And it could be lucrative. A book critic buddy of mine makes a good $250 a month selling promo copies to the local used bookstore (he used to simply "return" them to Barnes and Noble, but I think they got wise to that shit). But he's getting $5 a book, not $100 or whatever a "like new" casebook is worth.

I don't want to mock OP for the RC fail, but just to be clear: "free copy markings" means it has "FREE COPY" written all over it.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:25 am

There was a girl in my nursing school who's mother was a prof at another school. She was famous for being the first one done on every test and scored the highest in most classes. No one trusted her. I'll bet anything she had the teachers edition of the tests with the disk for the test questions. (I am old. this was back in the days when computer information was stored on disks.)

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:15 am

noquieromas wrote:I don't want to mock OP for the RC fail, but just to be clear: "free copy markings" means it has "FREE COPY" written all over it.
D'oh. And to think RC was my best section. Mock away.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”