Appealing a Grade Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
r973

New

Appealing a Grade

Post by r973 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:36 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge of law students successfully appealing a final grade for a course? Before you begin to scream at me, here are some of the facts:

Many students have complained about irregularities, errors, and problems in the final exam, which the Dean has agreed existed; a crazy method for calculating the final grade was determined by the Dean; I do not think the method articulated by the Dean was entirely clear and reflected the grade I was actually given.

What do you think? Does it hurt to try and appeal?

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: Appealing a Grade

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:38 pm

r973 wrote:Does anyone have any knowledge of law students successfully appealing a final grade for a course? Before you begin to scream at me, here are some of the facts:

Many students have complained about irregularities, errors, and problems in the final exam, which the Dean has agreed existed; a crazy method for calculating the final grade was determined by the Dean; I do not think the method articulated by the Dean was entirely clear and reflected the grade I was actually given.

What do you think? Does it hurt to try and appeal?
Unless there is no room for subjectivity, good luck!

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:32 pm

i know of someone who did this successfully. he was ridiculously persistent after being told no many times. let me say that although the grade looks better, it was likely not worth the hit to the way his classmates and the administration view him.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:58 pm

enygma wrote:i know of someone who did this successfully. he was ridiculously persistent after being told no many times. let me say that although the grade looks better, it was likely not worth the hit to the way his classmates and the administration view him.
*gets B- changed to B*
*gets all B-s for rest of law school career*

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:44 pm

enygma wrote:i know of someone who did this successfully. he was ridiculously persistent after being told no many times. let me say that although the grade looks better, it was likely not worth the hit to the way his classmates and the administration view him.
:lol: how did his classmates find out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:30 pm

zanda wrote:
:lol: how did his classmates find out?
he talked about it repeatedly. he also really really really deserved the low grade that was invalidated.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:53 pm

Generally means you have to go to war publicly with your professor and accuse them of some sort of misconduct. Not generally a way to make friends and influence people. Most law schools explicitly prohibit changing grades otherwise, "other than for mathematical error."

If this was a pervasive problem in the course, then it's different because, frankly, there's safety in numbers. But most of the time, you get screwed, you get screwed and it's seriously not worth the shitstorm.

StudentAthlete

New

Post by StudentAthlete » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:32 pm

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:Generally means you have to go to war publicly with your professor and accuse them of some sort of misconduct. Not generally a way to make friends and influence people. Most law schools explicitly prohibit changing grades otherwise, "other than for mathematical error."

If this was a pervasive problem in the course, then it's different because, frankly, there's safety in numbers. But most of the time, you get screwed, you get screwed and it's seriously not worth the shitstorm.
I agree. Unless the grade is grossly disproportionate to what it should have been (not sure how you're calculating this) but I would err on the side of not pursuing this

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:48 pm

The only way you should ever do this is if there is a clerical error (this happened to a friend of mine and almost really really killed her rank and her entire future since she goes to a very low ranked school; she would have dropped out of the Top 15% had she not said anything). And the only way to find out is to go to your professor about your exam to see if there was just a mistake or if you deserved the grade.

accent

New

Post by accent » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Hello,

I submitted a brief in support of my appeal. The prof did not know my name, he was only given an exam number.
I spent 12-14 hours on the brief, fancy exhibits&covers, thousands of details and of course I had grounds to appeal. The brief looked like one you would submit with the court clerk.

The appeal was granted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”