How much do grades matter after 1L year? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Geat27

New

How much do grades matter after 1L year?

Post by Geat27 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:38 am

Is it worthwhile to get really good grades, or is it okay to get respectable grades because they matter less in general? What if your 1L grades were low -- is it worth it to try and get high grades later to make up for it?

CG614

Silver

Re: How much do grades matter after 1L year?

Post by CG614 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:41 am

I hear you can just skip the last two years and take the bar.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:42 am

Geat27 wrote:Is it worthwhile to get really good grades, or is it okay to get respectable grades because they matter less in general? What if your 1L grades were low -- is it worth it to try and get high grades later to make up for it?
in the first scenario, it probably depends on your clerkship ambitions, no?

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:43 am

What do you mean by worthwhile? What would you sacrifice to get really good grades? If you are in law school full time without a family, I don't see why you would not put everything you have into getting good grades.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:59 am

helfer snooterbagon wrote: If you are in law school full time without a family, I don't see why you would not put everything you have into getting good grades.
um....because you have other interests and hobbies too?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Connelly

Bronze

Post by Connelly » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:44 am

helfer snooterbagon wrote:What do you mean by worthwhile? What would you sacrifice to get really good grades? If you are in law school full time without a family, I don't see why you would not put everything you have into getting good grades.
Because we, as law students, only do the bare minimum to get what we want. We are not here to actually enjoy what we're studying; we're here to collect the Benjamins. The entire educational process is a clever device to trick us out of our time. Never lift more of a finger than you have to.

extragnarls

New

Post by extragnarls » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:24 am

Connelly wrote: Because we, as law students, only do the bare minimum to get what we want. We are not here to actually enjoy what we're studying; we're here to collect the Benjamins. The entire educational process is a clever device to trick us out of our time. Never lift more of a finger than you have to.
No. There's a significant difference between (a) trying to maximize my educational experience while keeping a balanced lifestyle (maximizing my happiness, you might call this) and (b) busting my ass to get good grades at the exclusion of all else.

It'd be great if (b) coincided perfectly with (a), but I'm skeptical of anyone who claims that it does.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:10 pm

1. They matter a lot if you intend to clerk.
2. They matter somewhat less if you're going to a firm directly after law school, but CW suggests they may play an important role if you attempt to lateral as a junior or early mid level associate.

Honors are a separate matter. Although I don't have any real data to back it up, I think having magna cum laude/coif (and to a lesser extent, cum laude) on your resume is almost always worth the effort if you're within range by the end of 1L.

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:41 pm

One addendum to edcrane's post: unfortunately, ITE, no-offers happen.

If you have the misfortune to get no-offered at the end of your 2L summer (or if you didn't get the job you wanted for your 2L summer to begin with), you better be able to show improvement from mediocre 1L grades during your 3L job search.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mollie

New

Post by mollie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:37 pm

DelDad wrote:One addendum to edcrane's post: unfortunately, ITE, no-offers happen.

If you have the misfortune to get no-offered at the end of your 2L summer (or if you didn't get the job you wanted for your 2L summer to begin with), you better be able to show improvement from mediocre 1L grades during your 3L job search.
I was under the impression if you don't have a job by 2L summer, you never will

Black-Blue

Bronze

Post by Black-Blue » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:10 am

You can still get a job in that case, but it'll be after the bar exam.

So I think it's either 1L or 1L-3L that matters.

Miniver

Bronze

Post by Miniver » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:25 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”