What Mental Health Issues Should Be A Character & Fitness Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thewuzzles

New

What Mental Health Issues Should Be A Character & Fitness

Post by thewuzzles » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:06 pm

concern?

I was diagnosed with anxiety at one point. Should I be concerned?

What about the other disorders people may have? I searched but couldn't find a thread regarding this subject that wasn't specific to the OP.

miamiman

Silver

Re: What Mental Health Issues Should Be A Character & Fitness

Post by miamiman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:10 pm

My understanding from reading what I have is that issues of mental health and related but different issues (addictions, alcoholism) are all able to be overcome so long as there exists the general impression that a candidate has separated him/herself from the problem and sought/received treatment.

2lstudent

New

Post by 2lstudent » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:33 am

People get in to the most trouble with C+F when they try to hide things. Be as honest as you can in your application, and be prepared to take extra time for approval (potentially).

With mental health issues, the biggest concern is if you have ever used the condition as an excuse in the past (ie, needed an extension on a paper, or excuse for absenteeism). Other concerns are more disease specific---I know bipolar and psychotic disorders are treated very differently than anxiety in many states.

State by state there should be a confidential number to call if you are a law student and concerned. They may be able to answer the question of how your state will handle it, and if you should do anything in particular to ensure it won't hold up your application.

The bottom line is that many lawyers have similar issues. As long as you don't try to hide it, and haven't really used it as an excuse before it shouldn't be a problem. Oh and you should probably make sure it's under control, both for yourself, and for the C+F committee.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:59 am

Vandy Law Website wrote:Bar examiners in some jurisdictions also specifically address mental health and chemical or psychological dependency matters which, if untreated, could affect an applicant's ability to properly fulfill any of a practicing lawyer's responsibilities in a professional, competent manner. As a result, information concerning psychological or emotional instability and existing and untreated substance dependency may be required and explored. The mere fact of treatment of such difficulties is generally not, in itself, a basis for denial of admission, as licensure often occurs in such situations when individuals demonstrate personal responsibility and maturity in dealing with and resolving such issues. Usually, applicants who could benefit from proper treatment or counseling are encouraged to seek such assistance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”