0L Supplement Prep Books Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ChewbaccaDefense

New

0L Supplement Prep Books

Post by ChewbaccaDefense » Sun May 30, 2010 11:45 am

Before everybody gets up in arms about how certain supplements are keyed to certain casebooks or fit certain professors, let me preface this question with a disclaimer that I'm pretty familiar the conventional thinking on this, yet I'm putting together something that I *know* works with how I cram stuff in my brain. I've already made this decision, so I'm looking for help in its execution. Now, to the question:

I would like to skim a primer for each 1L course that would provide a broad, birds-eye view of the subject matter and be relevant to the largest pool of various teaching styles/casebooks. I've combed through and, while I think I have most of these nailed down, I would really like second opinions on these, as well as somebody to help me plug the gaps. Here goes:

Civ Pro: Glannon E&E
Con Law: Chemerinksy
Crim Law: Dressler
Contracts: Chirelstein
Property: ???
Torts: ???

howcani111

New

Re: 0L Supplement Prep Books

Post by howcani111 » Sun May 30, 2010 12:12 pm

go away gunner.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sun May 30, 2010 12:19 pm

I used all of the above, with the addition of Intro to Civ Pro (Freer). Not a must-have, but it goes more in depth than Glannon, and most chapters have decent examples sprinkled throughout.

Property will be really hard to pre-read for because it is a huge umbrella subject, and what you cover will depend on the preferences of your prof. Everyone says the E&E sucks but I found it useful for estates and future interests. I highly recommend the Introduction series here as well (Singer). Just skim for now to get an idea of what you might cover in class.

Torts is Glannon all the way, plus CALI lessons.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sun May 30, 2010 12:30 pm

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:Before everybody gets up in arms about how certain supplements are keyed to certain casebooks or fit certain professors, let me preface this question with a disclaimer that I'm pretty familiar the conventional thinking on this, yet I'm putting together something that I *know* works with how I cram stuff in my brain. I've already made this decision, so I'm looking for help in its execution. Now, to the question:

I would like to skim a primer for each 1L course that would provide a broad, birds-eye view of the subject matter and be relevant to the largest pool of various teaching styles/casebooks. I've combed through and, while I think I have most of these nailed down, I would really like second opinions on these, as well as somebody to help me plug the gaps. Here goes:

[strike]Con Law: Chemerinksy[/strike]
Torts: ???
Skimming Chemerinsky is a ridic idea. Do you know how huge that book is?

(Note: All 1L prep is pointless IMO, just work hard once school starts. You'll be teaching yourself unnecessary things if you read a book cover to cover. Professors pick and choose which parts of a class they want to teach)

xiening

New

Post by xiening » Sun May 30, 2010 12:47 pm

I will use all of the books as op, and the rest of them will use E&E. In my humble opinion, the E&E is good for the class prep (preview and review) because the examples are good for the students who wish to discover how exactly the rule may apply in the hypos. What is important i believe, is not just the "answer" to the hypos, but the analysis that goes under it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ChewbaccaDefense

New

Post by ChewbaccaDefense » Sun May 30, 2010 12:52 pm

Georgiana wrote:Skimming Chemerinsky is a ridic idea. Do you know how huge that book is?
Thanks for the heads up on this. It seems like this book is the most recommended of the ConLaw supplements. I took a grad-level ConLaw class when I was in undergrad. While it was a LONG time ago, it gave me a first look at many landmark SCOTUS cases, so I'm not as hung on a supplement for ConLaw. That said, I can afford to spend an extra $30 - 50 on one if there's a good one out there. I took that class 7 years ago (ugh).

So assuming Chemerinsky isn't that great for boiling down the material, any other suggestions?
concurrent fork wrote:I used all of the above, with the addition of Intro to Civ Pro (Freer). Not a must-have, but it goes more in depth than Glannon, and most chapters have decent examples sprinkled throughout.

Property will be really hard to pre-read for because it is a huge umbrella subject, and what you cover will depend on the preferences of your prof. Everyone says the E&E sucks but I found it useful for estates and future interests. I highly recommend the Introduction series here as well (Singer). Just skim for now to get an idea of what you might cover in class.

Torts is Glannon all the way, plus CALI lessons.
Thanks for these suggestions. Super helpful.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun May 30, 2010 1:02 pm

Don't be stupid. Reading this as a 0L will not help you perform better in the slightest come exam time, but it WILL tire you out and make anybody who finds out about it think that you're an insufferable douchetruck.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun May 30, 2010 1:04 pm

betasteve wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:[strike]Before everybody gets up in arms about how certain supplements are keyed to certain casebooks or fit certain professors, let me preface this question with a disclaimer that I'm pretty familiar the conventional thinking on this, yet I'm putting together something that I *know* works with how I cram stuff in my brain. I've already made this decision, so I'm looking for help in its execution. Now, to the question:

Con Law: Chemerinksy
Torts: ??[/strike]?
TITCR.

ChewbaccaDefense

New

Post by ChewbaccaDefense » Sun May 30, 2010 1:16 pm

How about we just acknowledge that my way of doing things is not what most people do or recommend and move on (rather than beat a dead horse)? I get that some feel it's their responsibility to warn the masses, but, to be a little selfish, stop shoving your tits in my face; I stopped breast feeding 27 years ago and it's my damn question. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sun May 30, 2010 1:22 pm

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:How about we just acknowledge that my way of doing things is not what most people do or recommend and move on (rather than beat a dead horse)? I get that some feel it's their responsibility to warn the masses, but, to be a little selfish, stop shoving your tits in my face; I stopped breast feeding 27 years ago and it's my damn question. :)
Well your question has been asked so many times. So instead of getting upset at people who have to answer the same question hundreds of times, why don't you read through the sticky topic at the top of the page.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun May 30, 2010 1:24 pm

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:How about we just acknowledge that my way of doing things is not what most people do or recommend and move on (rather than beat a dead horse)? I get that some feel it's their responsibility to warn the masses, but, to be a little selfish, stop shoving your tits in my face; I stopped breast feeding 27 years ago and it's my damn question. :)
Even if people here wanted to help you, very few people are capable of doing so, because practically no one on this site even claims to have done this successfully. There are no success stories to point to as evidence of how you should do this or what books you should use or anything like that. It's not just a matter of responsibility to warn; because it never really works for anyone, no advice exists on how to do this successfully. The only advice we have is "don't".

If you really want to go do this, then go buy some books you see listed as favored or popular as 1Ls. But this is kind of like asking for advice on the best way to drive home drunk. It's not just that people think it's irresponsible, it's also that they don't have any good advice because they haven't really tried it much themselves.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”