Tips for dealing with handwritten class notes Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rowlf

Bronze

Tips for dealing with handwritten class notes

Post by rowlf » Wed May 26, 2010 11:11 pm

I like to handwrite class notes. However, I need to have typed notes to use later. What systems did you come up with to make sure handwritten class notes get incorporated into computer notes? As in when did you transcribe, and how fully. Thanks.

eandy

Gold

Re: Tips for dealing with handwritten class notes

Post by eandy » Wed May 26, 2010 11:29 pm

Get a livescribe pulse pen.

/thread.

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Wed May 26, 2010 11:36 pm

I had two classes Friday mornings. After a short break, I would type my notes up and review the material.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Wed May 26, 2010 11:37 pm

macattaq wrote:I had two classes Friday mornings. After a short break, I would type my notes up and review the material.
I know a lot of people who do this. Seems like a good idea.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed May 26, 2010 11:40 pm

I fell hopelessly behind and used the student bar association's outline bank to find outlines for my profs when it became impossible to make my own.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:48 pm

I generally made my outlines from 3-4 old outlines on the SBA website. After each section I would read through my handwritten class notes and add anything in that wasn't already there that seemed important.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Thu May 27, 2010 12:08 am

I'm not sure if I understand why you like to handwrite your class notes if making use of those notes later is such a burden.

rowlf

Bronze

Post by rowlf » Thu May 27, 2010 8:19 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:I'm not sure if I understand why you like to handwrite your class notes if making use of those notes later is such a burden.
Good question. Two reasons:
1. Writing helps me concentrate further on what's going on in class. Computers are distracting.
2. The act of writing helps me better understand and later recall what happened in class.

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Keep them coming!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu May 27, 2010 9:13 pm

Why do you need typed notes? When I make my outlines, anything from my handwritten notes that seems important gets incorporated, and anything that doesn't seem useful gets left out. It's as simple as that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Thu May 27, 2010 10:50 pm

eandy wrote:Get a livescribe pulse pen.

/thread.
I used one this semester. It was great.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Fri May 28, 2010 10:49 am

That livescribe pen is awesome. I'm tempted to get one.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri May 28, 2010 10:53 am

eandy wrote:Get a livescribe pulse pen.

/thread.

I want!!!!

LoriBelle

Bronze

Post by LoriBelle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:10 pm

While I would never voluntarily take notes by hand (too much hand pain), I do think it helps my comprehension of the material. Because one of my professors has banned laptops from the classroom, I'm forced to write by hand in that class anyway. At the end of the week, I simply sit down with my notebook and transcribe. I take an insane amount of notes, but I type fairly fast. I would estimate it takes about 30-45 minutes of typing to transcribe eight hours of class notes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RUQRU

Bronze

Post by RUQRU » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:23 am

If you purchase the ProPack directly from Livescribe you can get an additional 5% off by using the coupon code:
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/livescribe.com

The ProPack includes the stylish black 4GB pen.

The New Pro Pack Includes:

* Pulse smartpen - Black color
* 4GB of memory (actual user available memory will be less)
* Pro Charging Cradle - desktop charging cradle via USB or AC power. Dock your Pulse smartpen to transfer notes to your computer.
* MyScript for Livescribe transcription software - converts your handwritten notes into digital text
* Livescribe Desktop software for Mac or Windows
* 500 MB of online storage available through Livescribe.com/community
* Premium leather case to protect your Pulse smartpen
* 3-D recording headset
* Starter dot paper notebook
* USB mobile charging cradle
* Ink cartridges
* Interactive Getting Started Guide
* Tips and Tricks

ImageImage
ImageImage

NOTE: Without Myscript add-on software you cannot export digital ink to OneNote:

LiveScribe Knowledge Base
80501 - Can I export my Livescribe Desktop content to Microsoft OneNote?

At this time you cannot export your Livescribe Desktop content to Microsoft OneNote, but we have submitted this as a feature request.

With MyScript for Livescribe the text can be copied and pasted into a variety of applications, including Microsoft Word and Outlook and OneNote.
Last edited by RUQRU on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:22 am

If you get the pulse pen, make sure you also download script recognition software, as it doesn't come with the pen. I was able to transfer all my handwritten notes into digital text, which I then just imported into Word.

edited: Oops, reading above, I guess it now comes with the pen. It didn't when I bought it in Dec. Reading comp fail.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:03 am

If you dont buy (read: run out and dont want to buy) their paper, does it not work?

RUQRU

Bronze

Post by RUQRU » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:09 am

trialjunky wrote:If you dont buy (read: run out and dont want to buy) their paper, does it not work?
No. The infrared camera reads the micro dot pattern to create the digital ink and sync to any voice recordings.
--LinkRemoved--

But the notebooks are readily available at Best Buy and Target. You can also use a laser printer to print your own dot paper. Must print 600 DPI and must be a laser.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:57 am

I am officially buying myself one as a present!!

Riles246

New

Post by Riles246 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:19 pm

I just finished my 1LE year and handwrote all of my notes. I NEVER brought a computer into the class. I found this gave me a leg up on most students since most dont really pay attention when the topics get boring, and I never miss a thing.

The main reason that I chose not to use a laptop is that I have a tendency (as I'm sure most do) to transcribe rather than to take proper notes. Using the livescribe pen, I never worry about missing something since I've always got the recordings to fall back on. Realistically, however, I've never once referred to the audio recordings and found that simply paying attention while the prof is talking works wonders.

At the end of the semester, my notes end up being about 70 full notebook pages per class, give or take. Civil procedure was over 100, but that class covered a ton of material. I don't transcribe these notes until a week before finals, and the transcription process pretty much takes care of all of my studying. Figure about 16 hours for transcription (I usually spread over 3 days), and then everything is cemented in your head. The notes are concise enough that once transcribed, they form an outline.

Seems to work.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:03 pm

My best advice for notetakers is this:

Read ahead by about a week in both your casebook and a longer treatise, and outline from that. Then when you're in class, just listen and don't worry about taking notes. Take your outline with you, and if something conflicts with what the prof said or there's something important you missed, jot it down.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:45 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:My best advice for notetakers is this:

Read ahead by about a week in both your casebook and a longer treatise, and outline from that. Then when you're in class, just listen and don't worry about taking notes. Take your outline with you, and if something conflicts with what the prof said or there's something important you missed, jot it down.
I always wanted to read a week ahead. It sounds so nice. I just never did it that way. I did exactly the same thing as you, except I would only read a day or so ahead.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:12 pm

megaTTTron wrote:

I always wanted to read a week ahead. It sounds so nice. I just never did it that way. I did exactly the same thing as you, except I would only read a day or so ahead.
Eh, as long as you're ahead of the curve by 24+ hours I'm sure the system works. I was able to generally stay a week ahead by focusing on the treatises and leaning heavily on canned briefs. In any event, the important thing IMHO is to be outline-focused and take smart notes. I never understood how people learn by taking court-reporter style notes, creating some 200-page behemoth of a document they'll never re-read.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:42 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:

Eh, as long as you're ahead of the curve by 24+ hours I'm sure the system works. I was able to generally stay a week ahead by focusing on the treatises and leaning heavily on canned briefs. In any event, the important thing IMHO is to be outline-focused and take smart notes. I never understood how people learn by taking court-reporter style notes, creating some 200-page behemoth of a document they'll never re-read.
I totally agree.

I just think that reading a week ahead would give you time to digest the material so that in class you've had time to think about it. My method doesn't allow for much thinking-time.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:19 am

rowlf wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:I'm not sure if I understand why you like to handwrite your class notes if making use of those notes later is such a burden.
Good question. Two reasons:
1. Writing helps me concentrate further on what's going on in class. Computers are distracting.
2. The act of writing helps me better understand and later recall what happened in class.

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Keep them coming!
I have the opposite problem.

No computer distraction during BS-y parts of class --> Z's
Write much more slowly than I type --> Don't get all the information I want onto the page

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”