A problem with yearly essay Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Asmodey

New

A problem with yearly essay

Post by Asmodey » Thu May 20, 2010 8:57 am

Hello people. I live in Russia, and this is the first year I study law. I've got a serious trouble with my yearly essay: my professor of Foreign State and Law History asked me a question recently and I can't find the answer to it. The question is: what documents were developed by barons & knights BEFORE the Great Charter of Liberties of 1215?

I've been searching for the information for several days so far, but I can't find anything relevant. I am in absolute despair and really need help of those who used to study (or still studies) English law so closely. Please help me! All I need is just names of the documents (if there were any... can't find any of them).

holydonkey

Silver

Re: A problem with yearly essay

Post by holydonkey » Thu May 20, 2010 9:00 am

wikipedia points to the Dialogus de Scaccario

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/excheq1.html

and following that leads to the Tractatus de legibus et consuetudinibus regni Angliae

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractatus_of_Glanvill

Asmodey

New

Post by Asmodey » Thu May 20, 2010 9:40 am

Unfortunately, Glanvill's work is not what I need. He was neither baron nor knight, but king's justiciar. :( The same about Dialogus de Scaccario - the author is Richard FitzNeal (churchman and bureaucrat in the service of Henry II).

Hammurabi

New

Post by Hammurabi » Thu May 20, 2010 10:02 am

writs - that's just my guess.

Asmodey

New

Post by Asmodey » Thu May 20, 2010 1:29 pm

Certainly not. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu May 20, 2010 1:34 pm

Wikipedia seems to indicate The Articles of the Barons

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu May 20, 2010 2:35 pm

The Charter of Liberties, also called the Coronation Charter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_of_Liberties
The death of William II and the power vacuum from Robert’s absence allowed Henry to claim the English Crown in 1100.

Henry was immediately faced with three political problems: (1) His earls and barons did not accept him. (2) There was antagonism from the Church, especially related to Henry's opposition to Anselm of Canterbury. (3) The native Anglo-Saxon population was not receptive to the new king.

Henry made concessions to the Church by reconciling with Anselm. He accepted as his wife Edith, who was of mixed Anglo-Scots heritage and the daughter of Malcolm III, King of the Scots. This garnered great favor with the Anglo-Saxon population which viewed Edith as one of their own. The choice displeased the barons and earls. Edith changed her name to the Norman Mathilda. In order to mollify them, Henry entered into an agreement with the barons and earls. The Charter of Liberties was that agreement.
Thank me later.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu May 20, 2010 4:08 pm

The question is: what documents were developed by barons & knights BEFORE the Great Charter of Liberties of 1215?
holydonkey wrote:The Charter of Liberties

Thank me later.
Thank you later? For what? Wasting space on the internet? Being too busy to read the question before answering?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu May 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Renzo wrote:
The question is: what documents were developed by barons & knights BEFORE the Great Charter of Liberties of 1215?
holydonkey wrote:The Charter of Liberties

Thank me later.
Thank you later? For what? Wasting space on the internet? Being too busy to read the question before answering?
RC fail on your part. This document is from 1100, but thanks for the insult.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Asmodey

New

Post by Asmodey » Thu May 20, 2010 4:12 pm

holydonkey wrote:The Charter of Liberties, also called the Coronation Charter.

Thank me later.
Nope. This particular charter (this one is of 1100) was given by the king to his sovereigns, they did not take part in developing it. :\

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu May 20, 2010 4:15 pm

Asmodey wrote:
holydonkey wrote:The Charter of Liberties, also called the Coronation Charter.

Thank me later.
Nope. This particular charter (this one is of 1100) was given by the king to his sovereigns, they did not take part in developing it. :\
They did according to the article -

"It sought to bind the King to certain laws regarding the treatment of church officials and nobles."
"In order to mollify them, Henry entered into an agreement with the barons and earls."

Definitely sounds like the barons drafted it and made the king sign. This has to be the document your prof was talking about. I'd put money on it.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu May 20, 2010 4:27 pm

So, is this Russia's version of the LLB? So this is an UG class? Man, I was a history major that specialized in medieval and ancient history and I have no idea what you are talking about, lol. Good luck!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu May 20, 2010 4:28 pm

I'l reiterate my above-ignored answer, based on minutes of extensive wikipedia research:

By 1215, some of the most important barons in England had had enough, and with the support of Prince Louis the French Dauphin and King Alexander II of the Scots, they entered London in force on 10 June 1215,[3] with the city showing its sympathy with their cause by opening its gates to them. They, and many of the moderates not in overt rebellion, forced King John to agree to the "Articles of the Barons", to which his Great Seal was attached in the meadow at Runnymede on 15 June 1215. In return, the barons renewed their oaths of fealty to King John on 19 June 1215. The contemporary chronicler, Roger of Wendover, recorded the events in his Flores Historiarum.[4] A formal document to record the agreement was created by the royal chancery on 15 July: this was the original Magna Carta.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Asmodey

New

Post by Asmodey » Thu May 20, 2010 4:46 pm

Seems like it was either Charter of 1100 (close to), or Articles of Barons (it's funny that they became the part of Great Charter of 1215 in just 1 month since they had been signed by King John). :/

Working with the English law (its history particularly) is challenging. -_-

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu May 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Asmodey wrote:Seems like it was either Charter of 1100 (close to), or Articles of Barons (it's funny that they became the part of Great Charter of 1215 in just 1 month since they had been signed by King John). :/

Working with the English law (its history particularly) is challenging. -_-
Depends on what your prof means when he says before. Although he's acting like an ass, Renzo's probably right if you've just been studying the Magna Carta. If you're studying English Common law in general, I'll stick with the Charter of 1100. The Charter of 1100 was the legal reasoning behind the laws included in the Articles of Barons/Magna Carta. The orignal Charter (1100) wasn't enforced, so the Magna Carta was, in part, an official restatement of the rights articulated in the Charter of 1100.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”