Write-On Support Group Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sophie316

Bronze

Re: Write-On Support Group

Post by sophie316 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
sophie316 wrote:This thread makes me feel guilty about my decision to not even bother w the writing comp....
Funny, this thread makes me feel really glad I chose not to partake.
I guess I was reading people saying 'DONE' and feeling bad. The earlier part of the thread made me feel better about it heh.

I just have 0 desire to do a journal combined with -1000 desire to do the writing comp. There are so many other things I would rather do with my time next year.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon May 24, 2010 8:23 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Yes, but it doesn't make sense to me. If they are in the top of their class at a Tier 3, they are shooting themselves in the foot by passing on Law Review.
You did not specify that you are at a tier 3 school in your earlier post.
Um, a student at Yale would be dumb to pass up Law Review given the opportunity. The rank of the school is irrelevant. Every law student should do what she can to avail herself of opportunities. Why work hard to be at the top of your class, only to not try to get on LR? LR follows you for the rest of your career (it generally is listed in your firm profile etc...). My only explanation is that there are a lot of immature 22 year olds in law school who would rather be lazy than do what they can to improve their prospects.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Danteshek wrote: Why work hard to be at the top of your class, only to not try to get on LR?
Yeah, see, this is why I'm strongly considering not completing the competition. I'm not at the top of my class and I couldn't get on law review even if I wrote the best paper submitted (you have to have grades in the top 1/3 to get on LR notwithstanding the quality of your submission). The best I could hope for would be a secondary journal, and the only one I found particularly interesting also had a grade cut-off. I'm becoming increasingly convinced my time this week would be better spent recharging my batteries, and my time in the near future better spent trying to get clinics and externships, since I'd like to go into public interest work. I have an offer for a fall externship as it is, so maybe I should just do that and work on my grades, rather than lose a week of rest for a very low chance of success and at something that might not give me much of a boost even if I did somehow get a journal.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue May 25, 2010 1:12 am

Danteshek wrote:

Um, a student at Yale would be dumb to pass up Law Review given the opportunity. The rank of the school is irrelevant. Every law student should do what she can to avail herself of opportunities. Why work hard to be at the top of your class, only to not try to get on LR? LR follows you for the rest of your career (it generally is listed in your firm profile etc...). My only explanation is that there are a lot of immature 22 year olds in law school who would rather be lazy than do what they can to improve their prospects.
This is precisely why I am doing it. I didn't move my husband from NJ to CA to attend one of the top law schools, only to not even try to take advantage of everything the school has to offer. I may not make it, but I owe it to myself, my husband, and our families who desperately miss us to at least give this a chance.

toaster2

New

Post by toaster2 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:25 am

Last edited by toaster2 on Tue May 25, 2010 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue May 25, 2010 1:35 am

toaster2 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Um, a student at Yale would be dumb to pass up Law Review given the opportunity. The rank of the school is irrelevant. Every law student should do what she can to avail herself of opportunities. Why work hard to be at the top of your class, only to not try to get on LR? LR follows you for the rest of your career (it generally is listed in your firm profile etc...). My only explanation is that there are a lot of immature 22 year olds in law school who would rather be lazy than do what they can to improve their prospects.
i think you have it backwards. i've found that the older law students tend to have a bit more perspective on this. they realize that law review is not going to make or break their legal career. it is certainly a valuable credential, but some are at the point in their lives where they may decide that there is something that is more enriching and enjoyable that they could do with their time. that might be a journal with a more interesting subject matter, moot court, externships, family obligations, etc. the 't14 or bust' mentality has be weighed against realizing what it is that will make you happy and what is truly important. for some that is not law review.
T14 or bust is too short sighted—Yale or bust ftw!

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:48 am

Danteshek wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Yes, but it doesn't make sense to me. If they are in the top of their class at a Tier 3, they are shooting themselves in the foot by passing on Law Review.
I'm 25 and I could maybe grade on(depending on my last two grades but I'm not optimistic) but I just would rather spend my time on other things...I'm doing a clinic, I'm probably TAing, I want to stay involved with my summer internship(assuming it goes well) and some other stuff too. I have no desire to go into academia and honestly nothing about law review interests me.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue May 25, 2010 2:29 am

I'm just a dork. I worked on a journal all 1L year, and I can't get enough of it. I want to work on law review because I will be able to work on articles spanning all disciplines, and not just the practice area my journal covers.

Edit: I'm not just a dork, I'm a masochist. It's 1:30 am and I am still Bluebooking. I have to periodically read trashy, no-thinking-required gossip articles on TMZ to stay sane.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue May 25, 2010 2:48 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I'm just a dork. I worked on a journal all 1L year, and I can't get enough of it. I want to work on law review because I will be able to work on articles spanning all disciplines, and not just the practice area my journal covers.

Edit: I'm not just a dork, I'm a masochist. It's 1:30 am and I am still Bluebooking. I have to periodically read trashy, no-thinking-required gossip articles on TMZ to stay sane.
It sounds like you're a geek. You've got a thirst for knowledge and a love of things that require a dearth of knowledge. BTW wanting L. Rev. is a nerd thing. Dorks are just socially awkward.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hi_im_josh

New

Post by hi_im_josh » Tue May 25, 2010 4:13 pm

mollie wrote:Do you get penalized if you don't reach the page limit? I turned mine in, but I was a little under the page limit. I hope that doesn't automatically ding me.
Probably an auto ding because it signals you missed key legal analysis. Maybe a secondary journal will be more forgiving, though.

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Tue May 25, 2010 4:27 pm

Well, I reached the word limit, so I guess I'll stop writing. I have until Friday to edit and footnote everything. I guess that's good.

This thing is awful, by the way. My paper, I mean. It's incoherent, unpersuasive, and probably just plain wrong. Oh well, I could still grade on, I think.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue May 25, 2010 6:54 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:I'm just a dork. I worked on a journal all 1L year, and I can't get enough of it. I want to work on law review because I will be able to work on articles spanning all disciplines, and not just the practice area my journal covers.

It sounds like you're a geek. You've got a thirst for knowledge and a love of things that require a dearth of knowledge. BTW wanting L. Rev. is a nerd thing. Dorks are just socially awkward.
Ha - nice to know. I like to think I'm not social awkward, so geek it is.

hithere

Bronze

Post by hithere » Tue May 25, 2010 11:46 pm

I'm really not happy with the final product that I turned in. How many errors do you think I can get away to snag a journal membership?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Wed May 26, 2010 5:18 am

hithere wrote:I'm really not happy with the final product that I turned in. How many errors do you think I can get away to snag a journal membership?
I think part of that depends on how it is that you define "error." Some things are much worse than others.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed May 26, 2010 12:36 pm

I handed in my entire packet last night at 7pm. Sooooo freakin' happy. Even if I don't make it, I am proud of myself for at least finishing. I definitely considered quitting about 600 times. I also learned a lot about legal writing/the Bluebook. I still suck at line edits, though. I realized that while I can identify crappy grammar, I don't know the technical terms - which might hurt me on my editing packet.

truthypants

Bronze

Post by truthypants » Wed May 26, 2010 9:32 pm

Competition is done! The only downside is just about everyone in my class participated :x Hopefully a spot opens up on a secondary journal.

truthypants

Bronze

Post by truthypants » Wed May 26, 2010 9:33 pm

hithere wrote:I'm really not happy with the final product that I turned in. How many errors do you think I can get away to snag a journal membership?
Ha, don't worry--I got sidetracked by Google Pacman, so my final Comment was not what I wanted it to be either.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Fri May 28, 2010 11:17 pm

done. done done done done. and with an hour to spare!

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sat May 29, 2010 12:00 am

Danteshek wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Wrong. Not much point in doing LR if you can already get the the kind of job you want. Also not much point in doing the writing comp if your grades are lowish and basically prohibitive for LR, unless you want a secondary journal.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat May 29, 2010 12:25 am

Can't concentrate! &$(^%#Y*&#^&(((#(N blue booking exercises! That is all.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat May 29, 2010 12:49 am

IzziesGal wrote:I handed in my entire packet last night at 7pm. Sooooo freakin' happy. Even if I don't make it, I am proud of myself for at least finishing. I definitely considered quitting about 600 times. I also learned a lot about legal writing/the Bluebook. I still suck at line edits, though. I realized that while I can identify crappy grammar, I don't know the technical terms - which might hurt me on my editing packet.
Congrats! And definitely a geek not a dork. Me, however...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Sat May 29, 2010 7:13 am

I'll join the support group, though I suspect there aren't many left. I'm in the last three days of my ten-day writing comp; all of my classmates have turned in -- mine got delayed because I had to postpone an exam. I thought I was 80% done yesterday, then I noticed a huge hole in my argument and had to do some serious re-crafting of the whole piece. Now I feel like I'm behind the eight-ball. Ugh. I can't wait for this to be over.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:47 am

So I am pretty sure there are at least 300 pages of reading that I have approximately 10 days to complete/write a coherent article on...

I may die this week. :evil:

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Sat May 29, 2010 10:54 am

MBW is working on about 900 pages of reading.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Sat May 29, 2010 11:18 am

KMaine wrote:MBW is working on about 900 pages of reading.
How did you guys survive this? It's insane :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”