Write-On Support Group Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LoriBelle

Bronze

Re: Write-On Support Group

Post by LoriBelle » Mon May 17, 2010 11:56 pm

Lost about four solid hours of the Bluebooking exam earlier this evening. :cry: I saved the file, but after I closed Word it disappeared into the ether (search for the file name revealed nothing, it wasn't in my recent documents, etc.). I've never experienced anything quite like it. These things only happen to me.

After starting over and working for a few hours, I seem to have gotten back to the same place. I just hope I didn't miss anything this time that I found last time, because that will seriously tick me off.

I'm jealous of students at the schools that have grade-on. We are all write-on, although GPA is a minor factor in the overall competition score (less than 20% of the total).

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue May 18, 2010 12:16 am

LoriBelle wrote:Lost about four solid hours of the Bluebooking exam earlier this evening. :cry: I saved the file, but after I closed Word it disappeared into the ether (search for the file name revealed nothing, it wasn't in my recent documents, etc.). I've never experienced anything quite like it. These things only happen to me.

After starting over and working for a few hours, I seem to have gotten back to the same place. I just hope I didn't miss anything this time that I found last time, because that will seriously tick me off.

I'm jealous of students at the schools that have grade-on. We are all write-on, although GPA is a minor factor in the overall competition score (less than 20% of the total).
Luckily, you'll never know.

LoriBelle

Bronze

Post by LoriBelle » Tue May 18, 2010 7:50 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote: Luckily, you'll never know.
Good point!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue May 18, 2010 1:26 pm

wiseowl wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:Ok, so I am late to this par-tay. A few things. Packet is really big. WTF-level big. I think devising an attack plan really eliminates a lot of the OH MY GOD WHAT DO I DO feeling. Making a list of "must reads" and "read if applicable" was good, and an order to do the must reads in. Our main case is really interesting at least. Common issues between the majority and the dissent (on opposite sides of course) seem like useful starting points for kicking around ideas.

Also, maybe it is just me, but I think coming up with a thesis without having looked over much stuff might be a needless stresser. I have a list of possible ideas, and I am going to figure out what ideas are best developed in the given sources and roll with that.

Editing packet - I know it's kinda sick and twisted, but I actually enjoyed doing this. But I like line editing and bluebooking....sooo..... :twisted:
the editors aren't reading this thread dear. you can be honest.
Haha. She IS being honest. We both have the same sick, twisted love for Bluebooking. I saved the editing packet for last b/c I it's the part I look most fwd to. I'm looking least fwd to the personal statement. I always feel like I need to write some Lifetime-movie-of-the-week type story, and I just don't have anything like that.

jp0094

Bronze

Post by jp0094 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:38 pm

As I wade through the morass of readings for this write on I can't shake the feeling that the law review editors have intentionally included irrelevant and unhelpful cases to both throw us off the scent and aggravate us to the point of insanity...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue May 18, 2010 4:42 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:Ok, so I am late to this par-tay. A few things. Packet is really big. WTF-level big. I think devising an attack plan really eliminates a lot of the OH MY GOD WHAT DO I DO feeling. Making a list of "must reads" and "read if applicable" was good, and an order to do the must reads in. Our main case is really interesting at least. Common issues between the majority and the dissent (on opposite sides of course) seem like useful starting points for kicking around ideas.

Also, maybe it is just me, but I think coming up with a thesis without having looked over much stuff might be a needless stresser. I have a list of possible ideas, and I am going to figure out what ideas are best developed in the given sources and roll with that.

Editing packet - I know it's kinda sick and twisted, but I actually enjoyed doing this. But I like line editing and bluebooking....sooo..... :twisted:
the editors aren't reading this thread dear. you can be honest.
Haha. She IS being honest. We both have the same sick, twisted love for Bluebooking. I saved the editing packet for last b/c I it's the part I look most fwd to. I'm looking least fwd to the personal statement. I always feel like I need to write some Lifetime-movie-of-the-week type story, and I just don't have anything like that.
You don't need to do that. Our comment instructions are fairly mechanical (Write section X - 2 pages. Write section Y - 3 pages). It's basically LRW on steroids. We've been bitching about LRW for the past two semesters, and now we're competing to spend the next two years doing LRW. How fucking perverse is that?

Pretty fucking perverse in deed.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue May 18, 2010 5:46 pm

Started yesterday at 10 AM. Due tomorrow at 5PM. I have all seven pages done with 50 footnotes. The topic is Internet obscenity (interesting!). Now I will review.

hithere

Bronze

Post by hithere » Tue May 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Danteshek wrote:Started yesterday at 10 AM. Due tomorrow at 5PM. I have all seven pages done with 50 footnotes. The topic is Internet obscenity (interesting!). Now I will review.
How long did they give you to work on the competition?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue May 18, 2010 7:52 pm

hithere wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Started yesterday at 10 AM. Due tomorrow at 5PM. I have all seven pages done with 50 footnotes. The topic is Internet obscenity (interesting!). Now I will review.
How long did they give you to work on the competition?
From 10 AM Monday to 5 PM Wednesday. One question. 7 pages including footnotes. Based on 3 cases and 1 statute. Circuit split.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

baby lawyer

New

Post by baby lawyer » Wed May 19, 2010 12:38 pm

OMG my lack of getting anywhere with my thesis is driving me insane. Envy those who are already done... :evil:

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed May 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Done! Very happy with the final product. Learned a lot about the Blue Book.

jp0094

Bronze

Post by jp0094 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:45 pm

24 hours until deadline...amount of caffeinated beverages in my carrel -- 2-3 at any given time

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu May 20, 2010 2:43 am

FUCKING, STUPID... FUCKING SECONDARY... FUCKING JOURNAL PACKET AND YOUR FUCKING STUPID SOCIAL SCIENCE STATISTICS!!!!

I feel better now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

j.hodgman

New

Post by j.hodgman » Thu May 20, 2010 3:43 am

i have to start printing in 12 hours. there are cats fighting or something outside. the worst.

jp0094

Bronze

Post by jp0094 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:40 am

done! sent print job to staples. Relaxing until turn in time

RW65

Bronze

Post by RW65 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:03 am

Picking up the packet tomorrow, can't wait. Blue booking and grammar exam this weekend. Next Thursday can't come soon enough.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu May 20, 2010 6:57 pm

Starting to feel the mid-competition burnout. 6 more days to go and I need my momentum back.

Hope everyone else is doing well!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hithere

Bronze

Post by hithere » Thu May 20, 2010 8:16 pm

Turned in my packet today--hopefully I get on a journal.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Fri May 21, 2010 3:41 am

We've been done for a few days at my school. But I know a few of you are still at it. Hang in there!

I spent a LOT of time on the blue-booking part. Don't even want to think about how much time I spent on it since they said to only spend 1 day on it. But in a weird way, I kind of enjoyed the whole thing. I mean, not enough to want to go back through and do it again or anything (at least not in that time constraint). But it wasn't all that bad... mildly entertaining at times.

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Fri May 21, 2010 3:45 am

So angry...must wait until I postmark to vilify idiosyncrasies of write-on...if I actually get on law review I will make sure it doesn't look like this next year... >_<"

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Fri May 21, 2010 8:16 pm

eth3n wrote:So angry...must wait until I postmark to vilify idiosyncrasies of write-on...if I actually get on law review I will make sure it doesn't look like this next year... >_<"
Passive-aggressivity is bad for your heart. Vilify now!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Sat May 22, 2010 4:15 pm

I am DOOOOONNNNNEEEEE with my casenote!!! Woohoo!!! Now I just have to start and finish the editing packet. FML. I seriously thought I would be done with everything by today, get to hand it all in early, and have a couple days to chill out before starting my journal work. Sigh.

It certainly feels good to put the finishing touches on the conclusion, but I am still ambivalent about whether it's good enough. I hate this feeling! Screw you, law school, for making me doubt myself!!!

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Sat May 22, 2010 8:40 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
eth3n wrote:So angry...must wait until I postmark to vilify idiosyncrasies of write-on...if I actually get on law review I will make sure it doesn't look like this next year... >_<"
How about just one, just one...

90% of the absurd bluebooking examples are directly from the bluebook's examples (i.e. they are the listed examples in the bluebook). This is evil for two reasons. If you are doing this legitimately basically you just have to keep flipping pages in the international jx section because they always omit the country code or any words that are actually in the origin language, they just leave random acronyms (e.g. K.P.W. [s2] RF; somehow this is is chinese thing? OK I SEE THAT!!). EVEN MORE EVIL is that they leave out one crucial piece of information, but its clearly there in the example, so the question I ask is "I am supposed to say <country of origin> or bolivia because the example is the EXACT SAME REPORTER AND UNLESS THE BLUEBOOK MADE AN ERROR IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR IT TO BE ANYTHING ELSE, BUTTTT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WE ARE SUPPOSED TO TRUST THE BLUEBOOK RULES AND IGNORE THE BLUEBOOK EXAMPLES? WTF IS THIS? "Use your best judgment" USE MY BEST JUDGMENT? I wasted hours putting @ symbols next to this issue (which came up about 30 times) and writing a preface explaning how no matter what the correct way to deal with this is (follow rule and ignore example like your braindead vs. fill in the info from example because ITS THE EXACT SAME REPORTER AND PINCITE SO IT MUST BE THE SAME THING) there is no reason to tell us to "USE OUR BEST JUDGMENT"

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sat May 22, 2010 9:52 pm

eth3n wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
How about just one, just one...

90% of the absurd bluebooking examples are directly from the bluebook's examples (i.e. they are the listed examples in the bluebook). This is evil for two reasons. If you are doing this legitimately basically you just have to keep flipping pages in the international jx section because they always omit the country code or any words that are actually in the origin language, they just leave random acronyms (e.g. K.P.W. [s2] RF; somehow this is is chinese thing? OK I SEE THAT!!). EVEN MORE EVIL is that they leave out one crucial piece of information, but its clearly there in the example, so the question I ask is "I am supposed to say <country of origin> or bolivia because the example is the EXACT SAME REPORTER AND UNLESS THE BLUEBOOK MADE AN ERROR IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR IT TO BE ANYTHING ELSE, BUTTTT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WE ARE SUPPOSED TO TRUST THE BLUEBOOK RULES AND IGNORE THE BLUEBOOK EXAMPLES? WTF IS THIS? "Use your best judgment" USE MY BEST JUDGMENT? I wasted hours putting @ symbols next to this issue (which came up about 30 times) and writing a preface explaning how no matter what the correct way to deal with this is (follow rule and ignore example like your braindead vs. fill in the info from example because ITS THE EXACT SAME REPORTER AND PINCITE SO IT MUST BE THE SAME THING) there is no reason to tell us to "USE OUR BEST JUDGMENT"
The Redbook suggests using emphasis infrequently because using it often detracts from its power. :mrgreen:

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat May 22, 2010 10:01 pm

The fuck is the Redbook?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”