Law in a flash by Steven Emmanuel Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
letsgo

New

Law in a flash by Steven Emmanuel

Post by letsgo » Mon May 03, 2010 5:49 pm

I am considering getting these. Has anyone here used them?

Gold

Re: Law in a flash by Steven Emmanuel

Post by 270910 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:01 pm

If you haven't started law school yet, slow your roll. You won't be getting an advantage by prepping.

letsgo

New

Post by letsgo » Mon May 03, 2010 6:04 pm

disco_barred wrote:If you haven't started law school yet, slow your roll. You won't be getting an advantage by prepping.
I plan on using it when i am in school, not before school.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:16 pm

letsgo wrote:
disco_barred wrote:If you haven't started law school yet, slow your roll. You won't be getting an advantage by prepping.
Then definitely hold off. It's best to purchase supplements like law in the flash, hornbooks, etc. once you have begun your class and figured out which provide the best coverage of the material your professor goes over. Definitely too early to be thinking about stuff like this!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Mon May 03, 2010 9:53 pm

disco_barred wrote:
letsgo wrote:
Then definitely hold off. It's best to purchase supplements like law in the flash, hornbooks, etc. once you have begun your class and figured out which provide the best coverage of the material your professor goes over. Definitely too early to be thinking about stuff like this!
OP, screw disco's advice, buy that shit. While you're at it, you need an E&E, a hornbook, a book canned briefs, a commercial outline for each of Torts, Ks, Property, Civ Pro, Con Law, Crim. You should also buy the same list for the electives you think you might take in 2L and 3L. If you ain't planned that shit, you're behind.

Law school turned me into an asshole (bigger asshole?).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

letsgo

New

Post by letsgo » Mon May 03, 2010 11:42 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
letsgo wrote:
OP, screw disco's advice, buy that shit. While you're at it, you need an E&E, a hornbook, a book canned briefs, a commercial outline for each of Torts, Ks, Property, Civ Pro, Con Law, Crim. You should also buy the same list for the electives you think you might take in 2L and 3L. If you ain't planned that shit, you're behind.

Law school turned me into an asshole (bigger asshole?).
lol..will be doing just that.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Mon May 03, 2010 11:55 pm

Yeah... disco_barred is right. You just don't know which professors you'll have and for some the commercial stuff is WAY more helpful than with others. Try talking to 2Ls and 3Ls once you get there and you might be able to buy them used (cheaper), or try to share with fellow classmates. Getting a couple things for every class, well, that's a good way to spend a lot of money. That stuff can get really expensive after a while.

I did find the E&Es generally useful though (most of the time).

letsgo

New

Post by letsgo » Tue May 04, 2010 12:19 am

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:Yeah... disco_barred is right. You just don't know which professors you'll have and for some the commercial stuff is WAY more helpful than with others. Try talking to 2Ls and 3Ls once you get there and you might be able to buy them used (cheaper), or try to share with fellow classmates. Getting a couple things for every class, well, that's a good way to spend a lot of money. That stuff can get really expensive after a while.

Any particular E&Es you would recommend?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:24 am

letsgo wrote:
You Gotta Have Faith wrote:Yeah... disco_barred is right. You just don't know which professors you'll have and for some the commercial stuff is WAY more helpful than with others. Try talking to 2Ls and 3Ls once you get there and you might be able to buy them used (cheaper), or try to share with fellow classmates. Getting a couple things for every class, well, that's a good way to spend a lot of money. That stuff can get really expensive after a while.

I'd do at least fed courts, federal income tax, and conflict of laws before you start. Topics from those courses come up a lot in 1L courses and it'll help to know them. At least tax and fed courts had major doctrine shifts in the past year so you should pick up the E&Es (maybe another supplement or two for each subject as well) new.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue May 04, 2010 12:30 am

disco_barred wrote:
letsgo wrote:

I'd do at least fed courts, federal income tax, and conflict of laws before you start. Topics from those courses come up a lot in 1L courses and it'll help to know them. At least tax and fed courts had major doctrine shifts in the past year so you should pick up the E&Es (maybe another supplement or two for each subject as well) new.
There's hope for you yet.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Tue May 04, 2010 12:33 am

letsgo wrote:

I liked Civ Pro and Torts in particular. Although there is obviously room for variation depending on who is teaching it, those two subjects are a lot more mechanical... less abstract in general. Because of that, you can usually work through the problems in the E&Es and get an idea of the general answer that would please a lot of professors (at least to me, Civ Pro was like math). Contracts E&E wasn't bad either.

The only types of subjects I never even attempted using them on were things like Con Law (especially) and to a lesser extent Property. Subjects like that can get so theoretical that I'm not always convinced of the value of using an E&E. But again, it depends on who your professor is. Who knows? I'm sure someone on here had a positive experience with it (or a negative one that I didn't have).

And last but not least... you really shouldn't do these before law school starts. It might confuse you. But more importantly, it would be insanely gunnerific if you did.

I just always used the free ones in the library, fwiw.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Tue May 04, 2010 12:34 am

disco_barred wrote:
letsgo wrote:

:lol:

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue May 04, 2010 12:40 am

disco_barred wrote:
letsgo wrote:

I see the subtle shift from Helpful Encouraging Poster to Sarcastic Prick beginning to take hold in you, disco.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:42 am

Always Credited wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
letsgo wrote:

I see the subtle shift from Helpful Encouraging Poster to Sarcastic Prick beginning to take hold in you, disco.
Did you just accuse me of being a helpful encouraging poster? I spend most of me time wandering around bashing 0Ls/threatening to stuff them into lockers, generating memes, and provoking people.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue May 04, 2010 12:45 am

I just call it like I see it man :lol:

letsgo

New

Post by letsgo » Tue May 04, 2010 12:49 am

disco_barred wrote:
letsgo wrote:

Thanks, i just ordered all those from amazon. I will owe my top 5% to you.

letsgo

New

Post by letsgo » Tue May 04, 2010 12:50 am

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
letsgo wrote:

I liked Civ Pro and Torts in particular. Although there is obviously room for variation depending on who is teaching it, those two subjects are a lot more mechanical... less abstract in general. Because of that, you can usually work through the problems in the E&Es and get an idea of the general answer that would please a lot of professors (at least to me, Civ Pro was like math). Contracts E&E wasn't bad either.

The only types of subjects I never even attempted using them on were things like Con Law (especially) and to a lesser extent Property. Subjects like that can get so theoretical that I'm not always convinced of the value of using an E&E. But again, it depends on who your professor is. Who knows? I'm sure someone on here had a positive experience with it (or a negative one that I didn't have).

And last but not least... you really shouldn't do these before law school starts. It might confuse you. But more importantly, it would be insanely gunnerific if you did.

I just always used the free ones in the library, fwiw.
Gracias. There seems to be different views on whether or not to read this before school. I have read post by a few people who think that absolutely helped them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Netopalis

New

Post by Netopalis » Tue May 04, 2010 1:10 am

Using books in the library? How plebian. Real law students own an entire library stocked with every supplement, casebook (including the unassigned ones) and relevant reporter housed in beautiful mahogany bookcases. :roll:

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:25 am

disco_barred wrote:
letsgo wrote:

lol'd pretty hard at this

also, OP: amazon offers free 7 day shipping and also has an option for overnight and 2 day shipping. I do not know of any shipping option which takes 6 months, so it's probably not necessary to order them this far ahead of time.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Tue May 04, 2010 2:24 pm

letsgo wrote:
Gracias. There seems to be different views on whether or not to read this before school. I have read post by a few people who think that absolutely helped them.
I dunno... I don't guess they'd actually hurt. You may well gain from using them earlier. I just think you'll gain from it more so once you are taking the class, if that makes sense.

Toodles!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”