Just Bombed a Take Home Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
McBean

New

Just Bombed a Take Home

Post by McBean » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:56 am

Last edited by McBean on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Gold

Re: Just Bombed a Take Home

Post by Renzo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:58 am

Who gives a page limit instead of a word limit? Is your professor living in the age of typewriters and cave drawings?

McBean

New

Post by McBean » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:03 am

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:07 am

...How long was your paper that font size makes a 3.5 page difference? Whoa.

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:08 am

McBean wrote:
Renzo wrote:Who gives a page limit instead of a word limit? Is your professor living in the age of typewriters and cave drawings?

Who knows what he was thinking? I just have to tell myself I hit all the issues, made a novel argument and salvaged a B+. Funny you should mention typewriters though; one of my other professors sent around the exam instructions early and they include instructions for those using typewriters.
That is awesome! I wonder if anybody actually does it, ever? My mother has a typewriter up in a closet...I should borrow it and take it to a Starbucks...maybe I can dress like a woman from Mad Men... : )

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:11 am

Renzo wrote:Who gives a page limit instead of a word limit? Is your professor living in the age of typewriters and cave drawings?
this.
also, roflmao.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:17 am

Apparently one of our professors gave both, but they conflicted with each other. The students were warned of "severe punishment" should they go over the limit, so most of them stuck to the less generous word limit. Those who dared to use the page limit, however, were not punished.

McBean

New

Post by McBean » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:18 am

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:21 am

McBean wrote:
kurla88 wrote:...How long was your paper that font size makes a 3.5 page difference? Whoa.

10 pages. 35% percent difference. 35% more analysis that could have been added. Ugh. It's just one class right? I figure I'll get a B+ at least so it is not the end of the day.

Side note: Who the hell are the people that get C's? Every class of 80 only has like 3 of them. Do these people just not give a crap? Are they dumb? Bad day? Bad luck? If you have gotten one, please explain. In other words, provide me with reassurance that it will not happen to me. Please.
Everyone I know who got a C was found days later in a dumpster wearing a crown of moldy banana peels and muttering something about font choice ruining their legal career...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:25 am

McBean wrote:Side note: Who the hell are the people that get C's? Every class of 80 only has like 3 of them. Do these people just not give a crap? Are they dumb? Bad day? Bad luck? If you have gotten one, please explain. In other words, provide me with reassurance that it will not happen to me. Please.
Look man, Just because I am dumb doesn't mean I don't have the same capacity to do well, obviously I belong here just as much as you do seeing as how we were both accepted to the same school.

McBean

New

Post by McBean » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:33 am

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:40 am

McBean wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote: dumb doesn't mean I don't have the same capacity to do well
Actually, I think that's exactly what it means.
lol at least it didn't take me 20+ years to learn something everyone else found out at age 10 when they were fiddling around with fonts to increase their page lengths for middle school English.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:43 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
McBean wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote: dumb doesn't mean I don't have the same capacity to do well
lol at least it didn't take me 20+ years to learn something everyone else found out at age 10 when they were fiddling around with fonts to increase their page lengths for middle school English.
I actually agree with McBean.

Dumb = lack the capacity/potential to do well

If you simply did not have a chance to reach or display your full potential, you are not dumb. Just unlucky or lazy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

McBean

New

Post by McBean » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:46 am

McBean

New

Post by McBean » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:47 am

Last edited by McBean on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:48 am

McBean wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
McBean wrote:

It's called erring on the side of caution. Wait, you were writing middle school English papers at age 10?
Since elementary school. Civilized places have good schools, bucko.

McBean

New

Post by McBean » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:52 am

Last edited by McBean on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:53 am

McBean wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:
McBean wrote:

It's called erring on the side of caution. Wait, you were writing middle school English papers at age 10?
Since elementary school. Civilized places have good schools, bucko.

<------ Public School in the South

But why were you writing middle school English papers in elementary school?
Obviously not middle school papers, jeez. They weren't advanced or anything, but we had computers and we had papers and weekly oral presentations (and no, not like show and tell, more like write a report about a news article and then do a speech in front of the class, so harsh for 5th grade >_<)

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:56 am

McBean wrote: It's called erring on the side of caution. Wait, you were writing middle school English papers at age 10?
Because I was in middle school at age 10? Why are you asking such pointless questions?

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:28 pm

had a page limit exam today... he said we could make the text as small as we wanted as long as it was still legible

still managed to drop an unreal amount of words on it as a result

why even have the page limit? just let me pump the text up and double space it so you can read it. i wouldnt have typed any more than i did (and i was told by a couple profs last semester i write the longest exams in the section by far which, trust me, i do not think is a brag).

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:41 pm

This thread has more redactions than declassified CIA files.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Also - a friend had a 24 hour take home final their 1L year. Computer's hard drive failed at the ~19-20 hour mark. They spend an hour or so frantically unsuccessfully trying to recover the document, then the last 90 minutes or so trying to rewrite as much as they could as best as they could.

They never told me the final grade, but it wasn't pretty, and their appeal was denied by the school. So at least that didn't happen.

On a related note, anyone have recommendations for the best online file storage?

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:59 pm

apper123 wrote:had a page limit exam today... he said we could make the text as small as we wanted as long as it was still legible

still managed to drop an unreal amount of words on it as a result

why even have the page limit? just let me pump the text up and double space it so you can read it. i wouldnt have typed any more than i did (and i was told by a couple profs last semester i write the longest exams in the section by far which, trust me, i do not think is a brag).
This is similar to my civpro exam coming up. It is closed book, no notes, etc. However, we can bring in hte federal rules, tabbed, written on/in, etc. AND can even add pages to the book with our notes. WHAT IS THE POINT? just have it open note.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:02 pm

there's definitely a difference between a tabbed and annotated FRCP and open note IMO

we were the same way and the annotations are quite limited

adding extra pages is odd tho

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:14 pm

On my CivPro exam we're going to have a short answer section. The professor has a 6 sentence limit on that section and says anything over 6 sentences will just be crossed out and disregarded. I think I'm just going to make one long run-on sentence for each answer so I make sure I don't go over the limit. :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”