Federal Jx/Courts 2L Fall? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
eth3n

Bronze

Federal Jx/Courts 2L Fall?

Post by eth3n » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:28 pm

1L here. It seems I made a mistake and signed up for 2 classes (one legit, one waitlist) but one requires concurrent enrollment in the one where I am waitlisted. If I get into both I will have way too many credits, if I get into neither I will too few.

I am considering potential backup courses if I need to add some credits. Federal Jx is only 3 credits but I heard that this course (aka federal courts?) is incredibly cut-throat. Also, it appears there are only 6/22 slots taken for this class, does that sound right? (The 3Ls have already registered). Any advice NOT to take evidence(+federal rules) and Federal Jx in the same semester? These will likely be the only difficult classes I will have.

TL,DR = Federal Courts/JX not a wise choice for 2L Fall assuming law review/journal editor/moot court?

ggocat

Gold

Re: Federal Jx/Courts 2L Fall?

Post by ggocat » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:00 pm

Depends on your school/prof/policies (e.g., curved vs. uncurved).

At my school, it was one of the more difficult courses partly because it focused on a large array of material and often in an abstract/policy-oriented fashion. Basically, separation of powers + federalism to the extreme with a dash of federal jurisdiction (crossover of statutes, erie, and justiciability doctrines). It was also difficult because about 80% of the class was on LR.

It's an interesting course and good to take if you want to clerk.

But because it's typically filled with LR kids, I understand that many people worried about GPA want to take it as a 3L after clerkship applications. (It was a 3L-only course at my school).

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:16 pm

I don't think I have a chance at any decent clerkships. But I appreciate the advice nonetheless.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:42 pm

ggocat wrote:Depends on your school/prof/policies (e.g., curved vs. uncurved).

At my school, it was one of the more difficult courses partly because it focused on a large array of material and often in an abstract/policy-oriented fashion. Basically, separation of powers + federalism to the extreme with a dash of federal jurisdiction (crossover of statutes, erie, and justiciability doctrines). It was also difficult because about 80% of the class was on LR.
It's an interesting course and good to take if you want to clerk.

But because it's typically filled with LR kids, I understand that many people worried about GPA want to take it as a 3L after clerkship applications. (It was a 3L-only course at my school).
this is the main reason not to take Fed Courts unless you're serious. people who take this because they think it will be interesting are ruthlessly eviscerated.

people get clerkships without Fed Courts. you'll have to decide if you're ready to gamble being on a curve with the people who have already beaten the curve.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”