0L Summer job? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rosco

New

0L Summer job?

Post by rosco » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:12 am

So I'm a 0L moving to a new city for the summer before LS. I haven't found a summer job yet. Any suggestions for something that would be useful later or should I just make some cash and enjoy my time before August rolls around?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: 0L Summer job?

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:21 am

Whatever pays the bills. Otherwise it doesn't matter, three months isn't likely to change your life.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:02 am

Doesn't matter. Won't have much relevance to employment down the line.

Basically, no 0L summer work will never, ever hurt you. Of course if Obama is like "hey man I need somebody to write my executive orders for three months this summer, think you can lend a hand?" that might be a valuable job experience. But it's exceedingly rare to get substantive work during the summer before law school. It's probably better to spend your time drinking and seeking out beaches.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:18 pm

If you're not a biglaw partner, you're behind!

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:24 pm

This makes me feel better because I'm spending this summer doing something not law related. Here is my logic concerning this summer, see if it comforts you:

We are all going to go to law school and going to presumably pursue law. It's a ton of money to drop on a hobby. I also assume people are going to be honest about future plans in interviews, I am. I even put law school on my resume.

So non-legal employers look at us and think "why waste time on this guy? He definitely isn't going to come back and be involved in my industry, he's going to practice law. I could hire a ton of people willing to work long past this summer or come back to this company." If it's an internship it's even worse because they know no matter what they teach you or how good you are you will not come back. They just wasted a whole summer teaching and testing out someone who they're never going to see again.

Legal employers go "I have kids across the country knocking down my door for legal jobs, even unpaid ones. Why do I hire this guy who had not been to law school and doesn't know the fist thing about the law?"

Thus, I will spend this summer chilling out, making some bucks, and relaxing before August. These thoughts allow me to sleep at night.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:54 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:This makes me feel better because I'm spending this summer doing something not law related. Here is my logic concerning this summer, see if it comforts you:

We are all going to go to law school and going to presumably pursue law. It's a ton of money to drop on a hobby. I also assume people are going to be honest about future plans in interviews, I am. I even put law school on my resume.

So non-legal employers look at us and think "why waste time on this guy? He definitely isn't going to come back and be involved in my industry, he's going to practice law. I could hire a ton of people willing to work long past this summer or come back to this company." If it's an internship it's even worse because they know no matter what they teach you or how good you are you will not come back. They just wasted a whole summer teaching and testing out someone who they're never going to see again.

Legal employers go "I have kids across the country knocking down my door for legal jobs, even unpaid ones. Why do I hire this guy who had not been to law school and doesn't know the fist thing about the law?"

Thus, I will spend this summer chilling out, making some bucks, and relaxing before August. These thoughts allow me to sleep at night.
joeshmo39: Your logic is impeccable. That's exactly the right thought process. You win my '0L saying something that isn't stupid' award for the day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”