When should you buy supplementary materials? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
caribelita

New

When should you buy supplementary materials?

Post by caribelita » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:57 pm

Are you all getting them before or after classes start?

Some people have told me to wait and see if the professor recommends any of them (in which case we should get those and not the others), but I see that a lot of people are purchasing things already.

So...what do you think?

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:01 pm

I'm waiting (except for E&E: Civ Pro because a 2L that had my prof recommended it).

caribelita

New

Post by caribelita » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:05 pm

I've heard that the E&E series (particularly the Civ Pro one) is really good.

mamasprout

New

Post by mamasprout » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:12 pm

I've gotten tons of stuff already (much has been gifted :D ). I read the first three sections of E&E civ pro and I learned a lot. I can't imagine that most of what I learned won't be applicable to the exam. I've also gotten some Gilbert's which I am kinda going over, just introducing the material to my fairly impenetrable brain. I think if a professor recommends something-- get it for sure. But if you are looking to get a head start on anything- I would go for it! I think the only reason NOT to buy, would be that, upon waiting for the semester to start, we'll find ourselves so busy keeping up with coursework, that we have no time to read supplementary material (although, some would suggest we skimp on case reading and just learn the laws.... since that's what we'll be tested on. )
I learn well by listening. Does anyone have suggestions for books on tape, audio studying aids or anything like that?

dead

New

Post by dead » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:37 pm

although, some would suggest we skimp on case reading and just learn the laws.... since that's what we'll be tested on.

I have also read that we should be focusing on black letter law.

I purchased hornbooks that were recommended by various websites and books. If the professor has her own book recommendations, then I will certainly add them to the pile.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patentlaw

New

Post by patentlaw » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:02 pm

I have also read that we should be focusing on black letter law.
Completely depends on the prof. I went through Crim law without ever looking at an actual Crim statute. The prof. focused didn't touch black letter law at all. Same thing with contracts, we didn't touch the UCC.

mamasprout

New

Post by mamasprout » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:22 pm

plaw, then were you tested on the cases you read? interpreting the cases rather than the rules of law they illustrate? just curious.
I'm looking over my gilbert on contracts and it looks like although they touch on some UCC, the discussion is on a wide range of concepts.
What things did you find most useful Plaw, Particularly for crim law and contracts, given your professors strategies? (and as you can read, i may need a primer on legal writing! :wink: )

RTR10

Bronze

Post by RTR10 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:03 pm

I bought all of mine already. Hornbooks & Nutshells are at the library, so if I need those, I'm just going to borrow them.

lordarka

New

Post by lordarka » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:20 am

I got my E&E and Siegel's sample questions about mid-way through the semester. Picked up Law Crams and a few hornbooks as well, but those all turned out to be waste of money for me, and completely useless.

With supplements and the timing for acquiring them, much depends on your prof; patentlaw's prof didn't touch the UCC in contracts. By contrast, we dissected both the UCC and the Restatements in class. I learned a ton about contracts, and the test was a long fact pattern and some very tough multiple choice. In Crim, our teacher was also very hung up on statutory interpretation, unlike patentlaw's. No single supplement can predict those kinds of emphases, no matter when you get it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UberLSAT

New

Post by UberLSAT » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:48 am

Does anyone have the Sum & Substance audio series? If so, do you like it?

patentlaw

New

Post by patentlaw » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:58 am

plaw, then were you tested on the cases you read? interpreting the cases rather than the rules of law they illustrate? just curious.
Cases and policy were all that we were tested on. Like lordarka I bought my supplements about half way into the semester.
What things did you find most useful Plaw, Particularly for crim law and contracts, given your professors strategies?
I found that previous exams (our school keeps them online) from that professor really helped. They put up model answers so you can tell what they're looking for.

There's only one supplement that I still have with me, it's Chemerinsky's Constitutional Law Principles and Policies. The book was incredibly useful for my conlaw class and pretty well written. But it all depends on your prof.

lwpat

New

Post by lwpat » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:43 pm

The Examples & Explanations series is invaluable. I like them better than Nutshell but Nutshell has more topics. I would buy the Glannon Guide for Civ Pro and Criminal Law over the E&E.

After that either Exam Pro or Siegles depending on the publication date.

Questions & Answers is a good review just before exams.

I haven't tried Sum and Substance but have used Law School Legends. It was OK and helped pass the time on the long drive home. You would be much better off to buy the Leews course on essay writing.

You can get used study aids cheap at Amazon for most of the above.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”