Legendary gunner in the making? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chromylchloride

New

Legendary gunner in the making?

Post by chromylchloride » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:33 pm

This guy is just visiting our torts class to see what he thinks of law school and decides to raise his hand and go on about tort reform for quite some time. Could he become...the gunner to end all gunners?

rando

Silver

Re: Legendary gunner in the making?

Post by rando » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:52 pm

chromylchloride wrote:This guy is just visiting our torts class to see what he thinks of law school and decides to raise his hand and go on about tort reform for quite some time. Could he become...the gunner to end all gunners?
Heard through the grapevine that an admitted 0L sitting in on a conlaw class here hijacked our profs lecture last week. ouch.

rapstar

Bronze

Post by rapstar » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:56 pm

what school was it???

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:59 pm

I sat in on a class when I was a 0L, and another 0L visiting kept answering the professor's questions when the professor was socraticing (yes I made it a verb) a student in his class. The first time the kid shouted out an answer, the professor looked at him and said, "Are you a prospective student?" then when the kid said yes, the professor just continued on.

Then later in the class, the kid did it AGAIN. The professor was clearly irate, but (to his credit) controlled himself and just said quite plainly, "I was talking to her, not you."

Please note this was a 3L class we were sitting in on too, and the professor even joked in the beginning of class to the 0Ls not to answer questions because you would be mocked for your eternal top-law-schools.com if you did that.

One of my professors likes to engage the 0Ls that visit in the class, and I think that is great, but if the professor doesn't address you, please don't speak, haha.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:53 pm

chromylchloride wrote:This guy is just visiting our torts class to see what he thinks of law school and decides to raise his hand and go on about tort reform for quite some time. Could he become...the gunner to end all gunners?
The BALLS on that kid...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:56 pm

That is legendary.

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ignatius J. Reilly

New

Post by Ignatius J. Reilly » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:37 am

Haha! I guarantee I would not have been able to contain myself. I've had prospective students sit in class but they have never said a word. In fact, one guy fell asleep once. Haha!

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:53 am

all that 0L gunning will probably wear him out, so he might not be much of a gunner by the time he gets to be a 1L.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bworsowicz

New

Post by bworsowicz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:02 am

And I thought the girl taking notes on her computer at a prospective student day was bad...

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:21 am

a prospective student was taking notes in one of my classes and the professor called him out on it.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:27 pm

I attended a mock class at one school last year, and I would say around 1/3 of the 0Ls in the room were taking notes. It absolutely blew my mind.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:31 pm

eldizknee wrote:
rando wrote:
Heard through the grapevine that an admitted 0L sitting in on a conlaw class here hijacked our profs lecture last week. ouch.
HA I was an admitted student in that same class, although not the student in question. Lot's of snickering from the 1L's.
At emory? Either way, see how this stuff gets talked about instantly? Don't be "that guy"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:37 pm

i got a good lol out of this so far.

in for more epicness.

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:56 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:00 pm

legends159 wrote:a prospective student was taking notes in one of my classes and the professor called him out on it.
How so?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:09 pm

apper123 wrote:I attended a mock class at one school last year, and I would say around 1/3 of the 0Ls in the room were taking notes. It absolutely blew my mind.
I can see both sides to that coin. What's the difference between taking notes in a visited class and reading suggested summer books pre-1L? Besides, nobody knows what was in those "notes" the students were taking. Maybe they were "notes to self", as in "Dear self, this prof is a wack ass nut-job. Stay away from him at all costs! These are the reasons:..."

On the other hand, these people might be taking themselves just a bit too seriously.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:19 pm

PDaddy wrote:
apper123 wrote:I attended a mock class at one school last year, and I would say around 1/3 of the 0Ls in the room were taking notes. It absolutely blew my mind.
I can see both sides to that coin. What's the difference between taking notes in a visited class and reading suggested summer books pre-1L? Besides, nobody knows what was in those "notes" the students were taking. Maybe they were "notes to self", as in "Dear self, this prof is a wack ass nut-job. Stay away from him at all costs! These are the reasons:..."

On the other hand, these people might be taking themselves just a bit too seriously.
I don't think I would do this myself, but I can understand how they might want to "simulate" the law school experience as much as possible. Since they won't be sitting back with their feet on the desk and a shit-eating grin on their face come September, they don't want to do that when they're trying out the class.

But really, they're just gunners.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:57 pm

At one of the ASD's I attended (you can search through my posts to figure out which one) after the professor had asked "Ok, what should we get from this ruling? What did we learn today?" a prospective student raised his hand, leaned back sideways in his chair, rolled his eyes and said "That the Supreme Court is stupid and their majority opinion reflects the fact that none of them can decide upon anything." I was literally shocked, as was the professor. Where do these people come from?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:40 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
legends159 wrote:a prospective student was taking notes in one of my classes and the professor called him out on it.
How so?
paused in the middle of a sentence, looked over at the person and asked, "are you seriously taking notes?"

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:43 pm

Someone who was visiting vandy on the same day as me had a big legal pad out writing stuff (this was in a legislation/regulatory state class--think uber boring) and was scribbling stuff. In her binder, I saw a big thing of business cards (she went to a school of business in alabama) with her name on it. At the end of class she gave the prof her card. Oh yea, and she brought her parents with her too...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:52 am

PDaddy wrote:

Summer reading? What is this, high school?

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:09 am

These people fascinate me.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:23 am

In my mock classes I'm mostly writing crude things to the people to my left.

Jules Winnfield

Bronze

Post by Jules Winnfield » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:27 am

Isn't it the gunners who usually end up getting just average grades?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”