suits for OCI (for women) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lilybbloom

Bronze

suits for OCI (for women)

Post by lilybbloom » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:00 pm

the threads I've been able to find regarding suits for OCI mostly concern guys, so I thought I'd ask on a new thread.
I have 3 suits: 1 medium-gray skirt suit, 1 black skirt suit, and 1 gray/black pinstripe pant suit. I have plenty of those silky t-shirts from Ann Taylor/Banana Republic, and one pair of business-appropriate black heels (Aerosoles, very comfy). Also, I have some silk scarves/pearls/nice watch.
Will this be enough for OCI/a summer job? And are the colors appropriate for summer/early fall? I keep seeing people commenting that black suits are bad, is this true for women, too?

jks289

Silver

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Post by jks289 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:07 pm

lilybbloom wrote:the threads I've been able to find regarding suits for OCI mostly concern guys, so I thought I'd ask on a new thread.
I have 3 suits: 1 medium-gray skirt suit, 1 black skirt suit, and 1 gray/black pinstripe pant suit. I have plenty of those silky t-shirts from Ann Taylor/Banana Republic, and one pair of business-appropriate black heels (Aerosoles, very comfy). Also, I have some silk scarves/pearls/nice watch.
Will this be enough for OCI/a summer job? And are the colors appropriate for summer/early fall? I keep seeing people commenting that black suits are bad, is this true for women, too?
The black suit thing is not true for women. I wear a suit to the office most days and I'd say three was enough for the summer. Mix up the tops and no one will even know. Also if you have a few work dresses in your closet for dinner meetings, you'll be completely fine.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:16 pm

jks289 wrote:
The black suit thing is not true for women.
+1
Blue skirt suit on a woman=flight attendant. That's the difference.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:44 pm

I have a suit from Ann Taylor that looks REALLY nice (and good on me) but it's made out of this weird, comfy fabric. Do you think interviewers will notice/care at OCI? It looks like wool, but on closer inspection (mostly feeling it and staring at it really close) it's a way less formal material. I love it because it fits me perfectly and I don't feel constrained and miserable in it. Also, I don't want to buy a new one.

Edit: OOOK...here is the link.
--LinkRemoved--
The melange knit jacket in the middle.

It doesn't look too formal with the pants and shirt this model is wearing it with. It's post-sale so I don't think I can find a full picture of it. Anyway - I'd like to hear thoughts on different cloth material for OCI.

Gefuehlsecht

Bronze

Post by Gefuehlsecht » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:06 pm

No, your choice in cloth material won't matter to any interviewer at an OCI unless you burst into flames when somebody lights a cigarette anywhere close to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:28 pm

it's fine, just leave the cleavage at home

you'll be surprised at how many girls just can't do it. apparently "self-expression" cannot be separated from them. :roll:
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:17 pm

how tight can pants be... are dressy legging-type pants appropriate, or do they have to be tailored? (as in crease down the front). i don't like to wear very high heels, in fact i usually go with dressy flats or low pumps, so pants that aren't tighter around my ankle look pretty dumpy.

are these or even these okay instead of something like these wider ones?

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:24 pm

cranberry wrote:how tight can pants be... are dressy legging-type pants appropriate, or do they have to be tailored? (as in crease down the front). i don't like to wear very high heels, in fact i usually go with dressy flats or low pumps, so pants that aren't tighter around my ankle look pretty dumpy.

why would you even consider leggings for an interview? the majority of the partners you're going to be meeting with probably don't subscribe to the leggings-as-pants philosophy. tailored pants are a must - if you can't find some that make you feel confident, wear a skirt.

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:24 pm

cranberry wrote:how tight can pants be... are dressy legging-type pants appropriate, or do they have to be tailored? (as in crease down the front). i don't like to wear very high heels, in fact i usually go with dressy flats or low pumps, so pants that aren't tighter around my ankle look pretty dumpy.

these = Probably not.
even these = Definitely not.
these wider ones = Better.

Although anecdotally I know a 1L who got the internship she wanted even though she interviewed in fishnets...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chisoxfan

New

Post by chisoxfan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:26 pm

nahgems wrote:

these = Probably not.

Although anecdotally I know a 1L who got the internship she wanted even though she interviewed in fishnets...
Based on my own anecdotal evidence, I would recommend against leggings for business interviews. Maybe depending on your office environment after you start working that would be fine. I just know that in my own office (pretty conservative brokerage firm) leggings would not be appropriate.

Just my 2 cents.

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:32 pm

itzjulz wrote: why would you even consider leggings for an interview?

fitted dress pants... like nice waistband, etc, but fitted around the bottom rather than flapping in the wind. what goes best with shoes like these (LinkRemoved)? i'm really short and flats with baggy pants looks bad.

also, how do people feel about black skirts with black hose? is flesh-colored hose a must?

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:38 pm

nahgems wrote:

these = Probably not.

Although anecdotally I know a 1L who got the internship she wanted because she interviewed in fishnets...
FTFY.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:58 pm

cranberry wrote:

fitted dress pants... like nice waistband, etc, but fitted around the bottom rather than flapping in the wind. what goes best with shoes like these (LinkRemoved)? i'm really short and flats with baggy pants looks bad.

also, how do people feel about black skirts with black hose? is flesh-colored hose a must?
I think flesh-colored hose is important. When you go to an interview, you should dress so that an 80 year old man would not disapprove/be confused about what you are wearing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:32 pm

cranberry wrote:

Maybe just try to force yourself to wear a 2 inch pump or something just for the interview. I think flats are a bad idea.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:05 am

Last edited by evilxs on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

laxgirl37

New

Post by laxgirl37 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:44 am

Are those shoes some kind of joke? Keep in mind that although you do want to dress "so that an 80 year old man would not be confused" you will also be intereviewed by younger female associates(often recent graduates from your own law school). I can promise that wearing shoes like that will attrack negative attention in one of those interviews- after all, these people are looking for their future co-workers. Just suck it up and wear at least 2.5 inch black pumps. it's 30 minutes at most, i promise you'll survive.

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:41 am

underdawg wrote:it's fine, just leave the cleavage at home

you'll be surprised at how many girls just can't do it. apparently "self-expression" cannot be separated from them. :roll:

I saw so much cleavage at law school fairs. Unbelievable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:42 am

laxgirl37 wrote:Are those shoes some kind of joke? Keep in mind that although you do want to dress "so that an 80 year old man would not be confused" you will also be intereviewed by younger female associates(often recent graduates from your own law school). I can promise that wearing shoes like that will attrack negative attention in one of those interviews- after all, these people are looking for their future co-workers. Just suck it up and wear at least 2.5 inch black pumps. it's 30 minutes at most, i promise you'll survive.

Sorry, but Lax is right. Do not wear those shoes. It's time for a DSW trip.

LegalGENius

New

Post by LegalGENius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:39 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:
laxgirl37 wrote:Are those shoes some kind of joke? Keep in mind that although you do want to dress "so that an 80 year old man would not be confused" you will also be intereviewed by younger female associates(often recent graduates from your own law school). I can promise that wearing shoes like that will attrack negative attention in one of those interviews- after all, these people are looking for their future co-workers. Just suck it up and wear at least 2.5 inch black pumps. it's 30 minutes at most, i promise you'll survive.

Sorry, but Lax is right. Do not wear those shoes. It's time for a DSW trip.

Agreed. Those shoes are just an all-around "no". As long as your shoes aren't spike 5 in. heels, you should be okay.

I am very into fashion, however, I leave my most fashionable clothes in the closet when it's time to come to work.

There is NO room for compromise on an interview. You must adhere to a strict code of professionalism. A black pant suit or skirt suit is ideal. I have interviewed in a combo dress with a blazer and opaque pantyhose which worked well. If you know the rules, then you can put together something that works for you. Bear in mind that professional DOES NOT have to mean frumpy!!

Pantyhose are essential for a serious interview but fleshtone, sheer black, or opaque black are all acceptable. Pay attention to jewelry: basic posts, a nice discreet watch should do it. Minimal make-up and no perfume. Also, you should reserve a purse/briefcase that is for interviews only and is in mint-condition and of course matches your shoes. I, personally, have heard accounts of interviewees with scuffed shoes and worn-down soles getting bad marks for looking "schlumpy". In order to avoid any of that, I just wear my "interview shoes".

Once you get the job, you can find out what the dress code is like for the office and dress accordingly. You will always need a suit jacket to go to court but office attire is usually more lax. Men take their jackets off, women wear cardigans, etc.

jamezc

New

Post by jamezc » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:38 am

Excellent! Thank you, that makes me feel much less worried about finding a place where I will fit in. :lol: :roll:

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:55 pm

annapavlova wrote:
cranberry wrote:

Maybe just try to force yourself to wear a 2 inch pump or something just for the interview. I think flats are a bad idea.
To add to that, I think if you're already really short, you should definitely have heels on. I usually go with about 1.5" heels for interviews because I'm extremely tall, and I don't need to tower over the interviewer. A decent pair of heels from aerosoles or naturalizer should be about $40 to $50 and there is really no excuse for not sucking it up and buying a decent pair of shoes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:40 am

I need to go shopping for more suits and tops, and I would love some advice. What would people recommend? Do most places sell jackets and skirts separately (because I need that)? I really dislike wearing button downs, so should I be wearing sweaters or shells instead? Should I get some colorful tops or should I stick to neutrals?

Thanks in advance!!! All I have is one suit that doesn't really fit anymore since law school stress made me lose weight, so I kind of need a lot. Based on my interview, it looks like my internship this summer is business casual (my interviewer was wearing a skirt and sweater), but it might be a good idea to have a jacket to throw on just in case.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun May 01, 2011 8:05 pm

IMO, women can and should buy suit separates. I got mine marked down at the Theory outlet, and I usually add a white silk blouse with a gray skirt suit, or a nude silk blouse with black. Most of my friends are different sizes on the top and bottom, and it is rare to find a suit that fits perfectly off the rack, even if you are pretty proportional. I am also partial to J Crew and Club Monaco, but my preference is to head to an outlet center and spend the day trying things on to see what you can find. Bring the shoes, blouse, and undergarments you plan to wear, as this can make your life a lot easier.

FTR, a simple silk blouse looks classier than a button down, and if you are at all busty, you won't have to worry about the button gap or the cleavage issue, provided you don't buy something low cut. Pearls are not neccesary-- a small, unique piece of jewelry can work fine, so long as it isn't distracting.

tiniestdancer7

New

Post by tiniestdancer7 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:09 pm

are open-toed shoes always out?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun May 01, 2011 8:18 pm

tiniestdancer7 wrote:are open-toed shoes always out?
To be on the safe side, yeah. I would wear peep toe pumps to even the most conservative of workplaces, but would feel strange wearing them at an interview. I'm not sure everyone agrees with me, but my read on it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”