How do people plan on paying? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SwollenMonkey

Silver

Re: How do people plan on paying?

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:40 am

CyLaw wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
CyLaw wrote:GI Bill for the first 3 semesters, then loans for the rest. They using LRAP and IBR to pay off the loans since I want to do public service.

[strike]Poorly timed joked[/strike]

How'd you manage the GI Bill?
By being a veteran.
Did you use up the entire GI Bill in UG?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:42 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
CyLaw wrote:GI Bill for the first 3 semesters, then loans for the rest. They using LRAP and IBR to pay off the loans since I want to do public service.

[strike]Poorly timed joked[/strike]

How'd you manage the GI Bill?
By being a veteran.
Oh gotcha.

Yes, I used up my Chapter 30 benefits in UG. However, if you qualify for Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) and have used all your Chapter 30 benefits, you can apply for an additional set of benefits under Chapter 33, up to 12 months, not to exceed 48 months total between 30 and 33. So I have about 11.5 months to use for law school, which equates to 3 semesters.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:45 am

By being a veteran.
Oh gotcha.

Yes, I used up my Chapter 30 benefits in UG. However, if you qualify for Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) and have used all your Chapter 30 benefits, you can apply for an additional set of benefits under Chapter 33, up to 12 months, not to exceed 48 months total between 30 and 33. So I have about 11.5 months to use for law school, which equates to 3 semesters.[/quote]

I served after 9/11. Where do I apply to get the additional benefits?
This is news to me. Last I heard, I was not eligible, but then again, I didn't investigate this personally. I was told I was not eligible, lol. Of course now, I will research the matter personally.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:49 am

Apply directly to the VA. http://www.gibill.va.gov/

Don't let anyone besides the VA themselves tell you that you are not eligible. Most people don't know what they are talking about (and this includes some school counselors). Now if the VA says you are not eligible then that is due to something in your personal situation (time in service requirements or something else in the record).

If you have any questions in the process, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 15&t=53547 is a good place to post.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:51 am

CyLaw wrote:Apply directly to the VA. http://www.gibill.va.gov/

Don't let anyone besides the VA themselves tell you that you are not eligible. Most people don't know what they are talking about (and this includes some school counselors). Now if the VA says you are not eligible then that is due to something in your personal situation (time in service requirements or something else in the record).

If you have any questions in the process, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 15&t=53547 is a good place to post.
Thanks a bunch! You made my night!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:14 pm

It's not immature to graciously accept an offer of financial support from parents for law school. Anyone in such a situation is fortunate that is how parents want to spend their money.

What would be immature would be to expect parents to pay for law school and feel bitter at them if they refuse to pay your law school bills.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:17 pm

I have paid with scholarships and loans.

My mom doesn't live very far from me and she occasionally gives me some groceries so that is nice.

I just had my financial aid exit counseling... sigh.

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:20 pm

Loans, some more loans, some scholarships, and waiting on word for federal grants and the post 9/11 GI Bill, and did I mention loans?

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:21 pm

I will be on full scholarship at a T2 and I was lucky enough to marry someone with solid employment in the medical field. If everything goes right, we can even buy a house while I am in law school. Without the burden of debt, I can have a PI/govt slary and be ok with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:25 pm

I will be going part-time, so I will be working at least part-time as well. My SO and parents will probably cover most of my COL expenses. Everything else is loans....Hopefully the debt will be minimal.....but it is terrifying to see the numbers on paper.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm starting law school part-time, but will most likely transfer to full-time after the first year. So, depending on the situation I may work part-time the first year. Mostly, my fiance and I are using our own savings, loans and scholarship money. My future-hubby-to-be will continue to work full-time as an actuary while I'm in school so we shouldn't be in too much debt. My parents are unable to help me financially at all...they couldn't while I was in undergrad either.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:36 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:19 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote: What baffles me is parents who do have the financial means to support their child's college/grad school but refuses to pony up. I feel one of the most fundamental responsibilities parents have is to make sure their children become educated and functional contributors to society. Forcing a child to take on debt/work through school to me defeats the purpose of higher education. How can someone truly enjoy their studies when they are worried about whether or not they can pay their utilities for the month? Usually the people I know in this situation tell me that their parents feel its only right that their children share the same sort of hardships they had to endure as young adults. Someone else can find the flaw in that logic.
I'm offended by this. Forcing me to take on debt? I decided to go to law school and take on debt. If they were forcing me to go to law school (not that they could), that'd be a different story.

My parents paid for my entire undergrad without me having to take out any loans, and now that I'm an adult and starting my own career....it was a mutual feeling of my parents and I that the majority of that financial responsibility would fall on me.

My parents COULD help out a lot more than they will, but it would also take away money from their retirement and supporting their own parents who also need help. Sure, they could probably juggle all three--but why would I want to put that pressure on them?

Its my decision to go to law school, it was their decision (that I totally agreed with) for me to go to college. They had been saving for college before I was born...they had no way of knowing law school was in the picture.

I will fully enjoy my studies (and perhaps even work harder knowing its my own investment), regardless of my debt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:50 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:03 am

I would love for my mom to pay (my dad's deceased.) But she can't.

Loans for me for part, I'll work for part, some savings, and my SO will work some. We have two kids, so its gonna be a hardcore time crunch.

wakefield

Bronze

Post by wakefield » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:35 am

Pearalegal wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote: What baffles me is parents who do have the financial means to support their child's college/grad school but refuses to pony up. I feel one of the most fundamental responsibilities parents have is to make sure their children become educated and functional contributors to society. Forcing a child to take on debt/work through school to me defeats the purpose of higher education. How can someone truly enjoy their studies when they are worried about whether or not they can pay their utilities for the month? Usually the people I know in this situation tell me that their parents feel its only right that their children share the same sort of hardships they had to endure as young adults. Someone else can find the flaw in that logic.
I'm offended by this. Forcing me to take on debt? I decided to go to law school and take on debt. If they were forcing me to go to law school (not that they could), that'd be a different story.

My parents paid for my entire undergrad without me having to take out any loans, and now that I'm an adult and starting my own career....it was a mutual feeling of my parents and I that the majority of that financial responsibility would fall on me.

My parents COULD help out a lot more than they will, but it would also take away money from their retirement and supporting their own parents who also need help. Sure, they could probably juggle all three--but why would I want to put that pressure on them?

Its my decision to go to law school, it was their decision (that I totally agreed with) for me to go to college. They had been saving for college before I was born...they had no way of knowing law school was in the picture.

I will fully enjoy my studies (and perhaps even work harder knowing its my own investment), regardless of my debt.

+1. I don't understand that sense of entitlement.

acrossthepond

New

Post by acrossthepond » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:16 pm

I am lucky enough to have a very supportive family. While they can't manage to pay for tuition, they are helping in other ways - my parents and grandparents have all given me some of their furniture for my apartment. The only thing I still need is a bed frame. My grandpa just called the other day and he is giving me his old pickup truck! Though this isn't the same as just handing me the cash for tuition it helps a lot. I know my parents will help with groceries and whatever they can in the next three years, I am just hoping not to have to ask too often.

Other than that it is a combo of loans and scholarships and hopefully my SO's salary will be able to manage all of our COL. I am am planning on working my ass off to keep my scholarship.

As for the entitlement debate. When/if I have children I want to be able to put them through school - even through a graduate degree if they would like. But I think it is a personal choice. I don't expect my parents to pay for law school, but if they had offered I would have gladly accepted. In the same way, I wouldn't want my children to expect me to pay for everything, but if I had the means, I would offer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hibachi7_7_7

New

Post by hibachi7_7_7 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:02 pm

servinDizzert wrote:straight cash homie
TITCR

mwk

New

Post by mwk » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:19 pm

Bought a foreclosure, renovated it, and living there while in school. Paying mortgage instead of rent. Taking out 40- 60k in loans for school, and paying them all off once I sell the condo after graduation.

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:20 pm

Pearalegal wrote:

+1 same exact situation with me. took the words off my keyboard. :D

jmaan

Bronze

Post by jmaan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:21 pm

will be taking max loan amount for all three years...will sell a farm or subdivision upon graduation and pay loans off....I truly appreciate my situation

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:28 pm

Pearalegal wrote:

Yeah, my parents could definitely help, if not completely cover, all of my law school expenses. (they are not) However, it is their money and thus their choice. I was happy to receive half-tuition + COL expenses from them in undergrad and never expected to receive any further help in grad school.

That said (re: OP), it is NOT immature to receive money from your parents for law school. It is one fantastic gift!

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:32 pm

hibachi7_7_7 wrote:
servinDizzert wrote:straight cash homie
TITCR
YES!!

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:23 pm

+++ on what Pearalegal said.

i have a small scholarship so i'm only doing stafford loans and savings my first two years. if i get a good biglaw job my 2L summer i should be okay for the last year. if not, i'll take out the tiniest amount i can manage in private loans. i'll be at CCN but i am still worried about paying off loan debt... one of my best friends is four years out of college and still owes over 100k from undergrad.

if you have savings, is it better to use them early on tuition and take private loans later, or should you keep your money in the bank, do the loans from the start, and pay things off after law school? ing and hsbc are definitely not offering the kind of interest the loans will be accumulating right now.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:41 pm

wakefield wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

+1. I don't understand that sense of entitlement.
Thank effing god. Reading the first page of this post pissed me off. I wasn't even going to post because it isn't worth getting into the banter. But I am glad to see others share this view. Luckily due to savings, working through school, and scholarship $ I won't have law school debt, but I will still be paying of UG. I think I am a better person for it. Obviously, not everyone shares this view, and that is ok b/c I don't care.

OP, I don't think it is immature. I think the reason there is that view of it being immature is when 23-27yrolds are getting full sticker paid for by their parents, rolling around in BMW's, living in luxury apts. and being general tools. Having the luxury of coming out of law school without debt is fantastic and you shouldn't feel guilty for it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”