What would you do?? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Boyk1182

Bronze

What would you do??

Post by Boyk1182 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:43 pm

for a Klondike bar?
Last edited by Boyk1182 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rapstar

Bronze

Re: What would you do??

Post by rapstar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:47 pm

if you're outside the top 30 schools or so and you're not on scholarship then you should probably cut your losses and drop out. join the fire dept or the marines again. you need to act quickly though as to not take on much more debt.

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:48 pm

"used to be in the Marines"

Thank you for your service to the country.

If I were the person in your hypothetical :wink: , I would be happy that I gave LS my fullest effort, because that is anyone can really ask of themselves, and move on to other opportunities.

Good luck with the fire department.

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:54 pm

I'm planning on following those routes, thanks for the posts.

School is ranked in the 70's if that matters at this point, doubt it does though..

Ignatius J. Reilly

New

Post by Ignatius J. Reilly » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Do you still want to be a lawyer? I mean, you must have to begin with because you started law school in the first place. If you still want to be a lawyer, my advice is to stick it out. You obviously have the mental fortitude to do so considering you were a Marine. People on here are always advising others to drop out. They think it's all about class rank. While it definitely matters, I know some good lawyers who were not ranked highly. You can also distinguish yourself in other ways, such as getting on Moot Court, writing on to Law Review (if you're able to even try), doing mock trial, pro bono services, etc. There are many ways to distinguish yourself besides grades. My only point is that if you still really do want to be a lawyer then you shouldn't drop out. If, on the other hand, you don't want to be a lawyer anymore, then you should drop out, and that would hold true even if you did have good grades. I just thought you might want some counter-advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:39 pm

What about gunning for JAG?

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:28 pm

A'nold wrote:What about gunning for JAG?
Too much debt to be on a military officer's salary.. I could go in as an officer now and be on the same pay scale and save 80k. I guess my mind's made up, damn this sucks :?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:29 pm

GTFO before it's too late. If you hate law school as much as it sounds, you aren't going to like being a lawyer any more. Go find a job you'd like.

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Boyk1182 wrote:
Too much debt to be on a military officer's salary.. I could go in as an officer now and be on the same pay scale and save 80k. I guess my mind's made up, damn this sucks :?
Dont people receive a lot of government grants and assistance with loans if they join JAG?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:38 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:
Boyk1182 wrote:
Dont people receive a lot of government grants and assistance with loans if they join JAG?
This is what I thought

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:56 pm

sanpiero wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:
Boyk1182 wrote:
This is what I thought
I heard the same, looked into it a little bit but I was told by the Navy and Marines they don't.. and, those positions are competitive to get, and my class rank/GPA just aren't pretty.

I do appreciate all the advice, had to give law school a shot and I'm glad I did, guess I'm just not much of a reader :lol:

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:23 pm

What you're going through is really rough. It could seem as though being in the bottom 10% closes off every opportunity. But, I think that being in the bottom 10% could also give you the chance to develop a different attitude. Maybe you can approach it not so much as, "I"m a failure", and more like, "I have an opportunity to make the most of something, because I have nothing to lose." This is assuming that you do want to be a lawyer. If you do, allow me to suggest the following:

Assessing last semester:
-Look at old exams.
-Schedule appointments with profs to go over old exams and figure out both what you did right, and what you did wrong.
--Doing these two things alone will help you clear up points of confusion. It will also allow you to compare the information you got out of class and readings to what you should have gotten. This will help you determine if you need to be approaching things differently, or if there is a bigger problem.

Preparing for class:
-Take advantage of your school's learning services office. (I've changed my class preparation style, and I'm now getting far more out of every class than I did last semester).
-Formed a study group. Use this to bounce ideas around, and compare your comprehension with a few other people.
-Go to prof's office hours. Do this weekly. Even if you don't have a prepared question. Just talking to the professor about the concepts will help you to flesh out what you need to be getting out of class discussion, as well as give you some insight into the type of exam discussion that can lead to a high B or A grade.
-Go to TA office hours. They can give you hypos, and then break them down for you. Immensely useful.
-Make use of supplements. These help you to get policy and the black letter law. Using these will help you make sure you're getting the basics down, so that class time can be spent learning what your prof specifically wants you to know.

These are all the things I started doing after getting grades back after last semester. I don't know if it is helping, but it feels like it is. Getting assistance from the learning center was particularly useful, because they have halped me to identify how I learn and how to use that to my advantage. You probably feel like you have your mind made up on this, but I do hate to see people quit on what they want. If this is something you want, then you can make it happen. Just step back and regroup, then attack. It sounds easier than it is, and it is difficult to break habits. But again, if you want it, then you can bring it about. Your transcript may not be beautiful, but it will show that you are willing to do what it takes to succeed.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:32 pm

If I were you I'd consider myself a total loser, but I would swallow my pride and GTFO ASAP. And please tell me you received some kind of scholarship and are not 40k in debt. Cuz if you are then damn man. Sorry bra.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Thanks for that post, that's very helpful not just for me but for anyone that reads it. To be honest, I just can't sit and read all day, everyday. I'm sure I could get through fine (plenty of people in my class don't read or go to class much when attendance isn't taken, sad, I know), but it's more a matter of debt for me. I was basically next on the waitlist at FSU, which would have made me debt free, but I didn't get in. I wouldn't even consider leaving if I was there, regardless of grades. I think it's more about debt than grades. I have no debt whatsoever (besides this year), I kind of like it that way :lol:

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:37 pm

Ragged wrote:If I were you I'd consider myself a total loser, but I would swallow my pride and GTFO ASAP. And please tell me you received some kind of scholarship and are not 40k in debt. Cuz if you are then damn man. Sorry bra.
Haha thanks dude :roll:
It'll be 26k in debt, and I have enough to pay it all back... 80k, I'd be F'ed

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:41 pm

...for this?
--ImageRemoved--

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:48 pm

WWJDFAKB

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:52 pm

Boyk1182 wrote:Thanks for that post, that's very helpful not just for me but for anyone that reads it. To be honest, I just can't sit and read all day, everyday. I'm sure I could get through fine (plenty of people in my class don't read or go to class much when attendance isn't taken, sad, I know), but it's more a matter of debt for me. I was basically next on the waitlist at FSU, which would have made me debt free, but I didn't get in. I wouldn't even consider leaving if I was there, regardless of grades. I think it's more about debt than grades. I have no debt whatsoever (besides this year), I kind of like it that way :lol:
That's a good thing though. I'm not at all adverse to debt, so my decision to attend would stay the same. Kudos to you for getting out while you still can, and not waiting until you were overwhelmed by debt to make a good decision. I hope you find something that suits you better!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:35 am

Ragged wrote:If I were you I'd consider myself a total loser, but I would swallow my pride and GTFO ASAP. And please tell me you received some kind of scholarship and are not 40k in debt. Cuz if you are then damn man. Sorry bra.
d be F'ed[/quote]
I vehemently disagree with this sentiment. There is nothing loserish about being honest about your interests and aptitudes.

From the roughly 10 sentences the OP has posted in this thread, I'd say his problem is not lack of intelligence but lack of interest/motivation for law. When I was a very young man I went through several potential careers before I found one I liked and was good at. Then I pretty much repeated that process when I decided to go to law school. This is how people avoid becoming bitter, depressed, alcoholic old fucks--find a job or academic pursuit you do enjoy, and do that. There is no reason to stick with something you hate.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:36 am

Renzo wrote:
d be F'ed
I vehemently disagree with this sentiment. There is nothing loserish about being honest about your interests and aptitudes.

From the roughly 10 sentences the OP has posted in this thread, I'd say his problem is not lack of intelligence but lack of interest/motivation for law. When I was a very young man I went through several potential careers before I found one I liked and was good at. Then I pretty much repeated that process when I decided to go to law school. This is how people avoid becoming bitter, depressed, alcoholic old fucks--find a job or academic pursuit you do enjoy, and do that. There is no reason to stick with something you hate.[/quote]

+1

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:44 pm

Renzo wrote:

From the roughly 10 sentences the OP has posted in this thread, I'd say his problem is not lack of intelligence but lack of interest/motivation for law.
Boyk1182 wrote:Suppose you were in the bottom 10% of your class after one semester, hated law school so far, and expected to do worse this semester (because you put in 100% the first time for those results)
HTH

I feel like being a dick for some reason, sorry.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:30 pm

If you don't want to be a lawyer, GTFO. You know what you want out of a career. If legal practice can't give it to you, consider 1L an expensive lesson and move on.

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Ragged wrote:I feel like being a dick for some reason, sorry.
It's all good, made me laugh...

I guess I'm going to put in a "leave of absence" that lasts a year, do my own thing as if I was never coming back, and if I miss law school that much, I'll be able to get back to it. Thanks for all the responses.

Carnertine

Bronze

Post by Carnertine » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:06 pm

While people on here consistently reflect the stories you need to be in the top x% to get a job. That doesn't mean being in the lower percentages will not. I have heard of enough stories of people finishing below 75% being successful you just might have to try harder to get that magical foot in the door.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”