Law Preview intensive pre-law course... comments/reviews? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Think_lax86

New

Law Preview intensive pre-law course... comments/reviews?

Post by Think_lax86 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:03 am

Im trying to get myself mentally, physically, and emotionally ready for what law school has in store for me come August. With that being said, I have been trying to pick up as much literature as I can on what to expect, tips, comments, etc. about 1L and law school in general. I have read alot of pretty useful stuff and I am definitely trying to continue preping myself for that first year. I have read through, Law School Confidential, Bridging the Gap Between College and Law School, 1L, and The Law School Rules... I have also been reading through this site alot and trying to pick up some tips/advice on how to succeed in law school, etc. etc...

I feel I have a good idea about what to expect, how to brief using IRAC, how to structure an outline, how much emphasis needs to be placed on exams (I already kind of assumed exams was the main priority seeing how it determines class rank which determines job prospects), and pretty much how to cope with the stresses of law school in general (socratic method, non-stop reading, etc.)

Aside from working part time, I have about 5-6 months of free time to read and try to do as much as I can before law school to make the whole process a little bit more easier or less stressful. I have contemplated picking up those Examples and Explanations books and a few select Hornbooks to try and just bang those out before I even set foot in the classroom.

With all that being said, I received a piece of mail today advertising this week long intensive class which apparently really preps you for law school... Its called Law Preview...

http://lawpreview.com/

...I just wanted to know if anyone had taken this course or had any comments about it... I think its $1000+ so before I sign up for something like this I want to make sure its worth it and the stuff I will be learning wont be what I am already doing now and what I plan to do on my own.

Thanks

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Re: Law Preview intensive pre-law course... comments/reviews?

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:12 pm

I'm taking it this summer at Northwestern.

I figure that getting some kind of an idea about what I'll be seeing in 1L couldn't do any harm, so why not? Law School Confidential promotes it, so I'm under the assumption that it's not a complete waste of time.

With that said, I did think the price tag was a bit much, but considering the free supplemental materials you get upon completion of the course (Aspen E&Es and such), I guess it's not THAT ridiculous.

I'm particularly looking forward to the legal writing seminar portion of the class. I feel that any kind of insight I can get (especially in this area) is valuable.

Sky'stheLimit

Bronze

Post by Sky'stheLimit » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Im interested in this too! Is there anyone on TLS who has taken it, that would feel comfortable giving a review?? If so, Please do!

I feel like I have read on here somewhere that Ken endorses/recommends it. That I think is definitely worth noting; However, I could be completely wrong. If I am, then Im sorry! I promise Im not an LP troll!!
Last edited by Sky'stheLimit on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

prolyphek

New

Post by prolyphek » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:28 pm

I plan on attending as well, The Dean from USC recommended taking it even if ultimately I decide to matriculate to another school.

I figure it can only help, if I don't get anything out of it then I'm in same position I was anyway but if I do get a little bit out of it I am one step closer to feeling a tiny bit better about what to expect come fall

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:34 pm

Sky'stheLimit wrote:Im interested in this too! Is there anyone on TLS who has taken it, that would feel comfortable giving a review?? If so, Please do!

I feel like I have read on here somewhere that Ken endorses/recommends it. That's I think definitely worth noting; However, I could be completely wrong. If I am, then Im sorry! I promise Im not an LP troll!!
You're not a troll on this thread...lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:37 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
Sky'stheLimit wrote:Im interested in this too! Is there anyone on TLS who has taken it, that would feel comfortable giving a review?? If so, Please do!

I feel like I have read on here somewhere that Ken endorses/recommends it. That's I think definitely worth noting; However, I could be completely wrong. If I am, then Im sorry! I promise Im not an LP troll!!
You're not a troll on this thread...lol
you and op are very stupid to even consider wasting tons of money on this. Ask any of those on TLS on prep before school... it's mostly a waste of time.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Horrible idea, big waste of money.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:28 pm

TTT-LS wrote:*head asplode*

Guys, really, don't do it. You'll be glad you didn't once you get through a year of LS or so & realize what a useless placebo those courses are.
TITMFCR

Nothing (not class, book, or drug) can prepare you mentally, physically, or emotionally for first semester 1L. The only thing you should do is a whole lot of nothung. Seriously, watch TV, go to a few ballgames, see your friends for the last time until graduation, fuck your S/O. Whatever you do this summer, just have fun. Reading E&E is not fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:31 pm

Think_Law86=OL gunner of '10

mac.empress

Bronze

Post by mac.empress » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:24 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:*head asplode*

Guys, really, don't do it. You'll be glad you didn't once you get through a year of LS or so & realize what a useless placebo those courses are.
TITMFCR

Nothing (not class, book, or drug) can prepare you mentally, physically, or emotionally for first semester 1L. The only thing you should do is a whole lot of nothung. Seriously, watch TV, go to a few ballgames, see your friends for the last time until graduation, fuck your S/O. Whatever you do this summer, just have fun. Reading E&E is not fun.
+1000

Have hours of sex now. Seriously. It's so hard to fit it in your schedule when school starts :( .

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:07 pm

They have some pretty ridiculous statistics in their advertisements, but I'm betting it's all self-selection and them being tricky with stats.

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:09 pm

Think_lax86 wrote:Im trying to get myself mentally, physically, and emotionally ready for what law school has in store for me come August. With that being said, I have been trying to pick up as much literature as I can on what to expect, tips, comments, etc. about 1L and law school in general. I have read alot of pretty useful stuff and I am definitely trying to continue preping myself for that first year. I have read through, Law School Confidential, Bridging the Gap Between College and Law School, 1L, and The Law School Rules... I have also been reading through this site alot and trying to pick up some tips/advice on how to succeed in law school, etc. etc...

I feel I have a good idea about what to expect, how to brief using IRAC, how to structure an outline, how much emphasis needs to be placed on exams (I already kind of assumed exams was the main priority seeing how it determines class rank which determines job prospects), and pretty much how to cope with the stresses of law school in general (socratic method, non-stop reading, etc.)

Aside from working part time, I have about 5-6 months of free time to read and try to do as much as I can before law school to make the whole process a little bit more easier or less stressful. I have contemplated picking up those Examples and Explanations books and a few select Hornbooks to try and just bang those out before I even set foot in the classroom.

With all that being said, I received a piece of mail today advertising this week long intensive class which apparently really preps you for law school... Its called Law Preview...

http://lawpreview.com/

...I just wanted to know if anyone had taken this course or had any comments about it... I think its $1000+ so before I sign up for something like this I want to make sure its worth it and the stuff I will be learning wont be what I am already doing now and what I plan to do on my own.

Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”