does working for a judge the summer of 1L or 2L help you Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
littleboyblue

Bronze

does working for a judge the summer of 1L or 2L help you

Post by littleboyblue » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:37 pm

land a clerkship with that judge after graduation?

legends159

Silver

Re: does working for a judge the summer of 1L or 2L help you

Post by legends159 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:40 pm

it'll probably hurt you b/c some judges try not to take former externs b/c if you take some but not others then it somehow implies that those not taken had weaker work product which it doesn't b/c it could simply come down to grades and interview.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:43 pm

legends159 wrote:it'll probably hurt you b/c some judges try not to take former externs b/c if you take some but not others then it somehow implies that those not taken had weaker work product which it doesn't b/c it could simply come down to grades and interview.
wow - i am so glad I asked!!!

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:24 pm

legends159 wrote:it'll probably hurt you b/c some judges try not to take former externs b/c if you take some but not others then it somehow implies that those not taken had weaker work product which it doesn't b/c it could simply come down to grades and interview.
A judge should be used to disappointing people. A person who can look someone in the eye and sentence them to die should be able to deal with the hurt feelings of a former intern. Even if true, this would only eliminate one judge from the potential employer pool. The benefits far outweigh the possible detriment.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:48 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:
A judge should be used to disappointing people. A person who can look someone in the eye and sentence them to die should be able to deal with the hurt feelings of a former intern. Even if true, this would only eliminate one judge from the potential employer pool. The benefits far outweigh the possible detriment.
NYU's OCS looked at many years worth of employment data and found no relation to judicial internships and clerkships. Empirically, they do not help at all when compared to any other summer job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Most likely not. Many judges have a policy (perhaps most?) not to hire former interns. The judge would nonetheless likely be a good reference to have.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:
most judges don't support the death penalty. However it's either follow the sentencing guidelines or resign. And it's not so much that they care about hurting your feelings, though they might. it's just an easier administrative policy to have than to have to tell each person no.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:49 pm

I am a 2L, and I am currently an extern for a district court judge. One of the two current clerks was a summer extern after his 1L summer for this judge, so it does happen (however rarely). He did still have to go through the whole application/LOR/interview process, and would have been very competitive even had he not externed for this judge. From talking to a lot of current and former clerks though, I haven't otherwise heard of this happening.

Interesting info from NYU. I talked to UCLA's clerkship coordinator and they said they have found pretty strong tie between externing for a federal judge (summer or during semester) and clerking. (I just assumed that it was correlation rather than causation though, since people with high grades after 1st semester of 1L are most able to get summer externships with federal judges, and would then go on to have the grades to clerk post-law school, too.)

I think it can definitely be a benefit to extern based on the LOR possibilities and to get a great writing sample for clerkship applications, but I don't think that externing is going get you a clerkship if you don't also have the grades/right school.

Just my two cents.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”