anyone else find it hard to be motivated b/c of lack of jobs Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lsat_fear

New

anyone else find it hard to be motivated b/c of lack of jobs

Post by lsat_fear » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:47 pm

I know that it's just as rational to be really uber-gunner-motivated and make sure that you're number 1, so you're more likely to get a job. But does anyone else, who's not really in the running for top 10%, feel a sense of hopelessness, that whether you bust your ass or sit on your ass, you'll be unemployed, and thus find it difficult to resist the urge to sit on your ass?

pleasetryagain

Silver

Re: anyone else find it hard to be motivated b/c of lack of jobs

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:02 pm

lsat_fear wrote:I know that it's just as rational to be really uber-gunner-motivated and make sure that you're number 1, so you're more likely to get a job. But does anyone else, who's not really in the running for top 10%, feel a sense of hopelessness, that whether you bust your ass or sit on your ass, you'll be unemployed, and thus find it difficult to resist the urge to sit on your ass?
ever been broke? makes for some serious motivation.

lsat_fear

New

Post by lsat_fear » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:03 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
lsat_fear wrote:I know that it's just as rational to be really uber-gunner-motivated and make sure that you're number 1, so you're more likely to get a job. But does anyone else, who's not really in the running for top 10%, feel a sense of hopelessness, that whether you bust your ass or sit on your ass, you'll be unemployed, and thus find it difficult to resist the urge to sit on your ass?
currently broke

itsfine

Bronze

Post by itsfine » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:05 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:

i think op touched upon this sort of sentiment by saying its just as rational to see things the other way, as in this situation could make you much more motivated.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:23 am

There's actually a lot more jobs than just for top 10%, even at a T2ish school like U Houston and SMU, they placed top quarter last year. Georgetown placed about 45% in fed clerkship + NLJ 250; UT Austin places about 50% in fed clerkship + NLJ250 firms; Northwestern and Columbia place about 65%. Before the crash, Columbia/NW places some 80% in these jobs (i.e. practically Harvard-like placement) and it's been scaled back a lot, but still isn't so terrible.

Looking at the career placement stats, there is really no employment bump for T14 vs non-T14 law schools anymore. T14 places more, but their placement stats were massively axed last year.

sources - NLJ & USNews' semi-reliable clerkship ranking

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:26 am

Snooker wrote:There's actually a lot more jobs than just for top 10%, even at a T2ish school like U Houston and SMU, they placed top quarter last year. Georgetown placed about 45% in fed clerkship + NLJ 250; UT Austin places about 50% in fed clerkship + NLJ250 firms; Northwestern and Columbia place about 65%. Before the crash, Columbia/NW places some 80% in these jobs (i.e. practically Harvard-like placement) and it's been scaled back a lot, but still isn't so terrible.

Looking at the career placement stats, there is really no employment bump for T14 vs non-T14 law schools anymore. T14 places more, but their placement stats were massively axed last year.

Yes. Let's look at the Class of 2009 placement data. That will accurately describe the current state of the market.

-10 points for abuse of authority, Snooker.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:45 am

Which class do people think is or will be the worst for placement?

Tehpokerstar

New

Post by Tehpokerstar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Dude who cares? Seriously, have some fun this summer!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:34 pm

I feel hopeless, and I blew off studying last night and watched a movie to detach a bit from the law school pandemonium. I definitely feel ya. This summer might be the first time in 10 years that I am not working or going to school full time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:20 pm

There's actually a lot more jobs than just for top 10%, even at a T2ish school like U Houston and SMU, they placed top quarter last year. Georgetown placed about 45% in fed clerkship + NLJ 250; UT Austin places about 50% in fed clerkship + NLJ250 firms; Northwestern and Columbia place about 65%. Before the crash, Columbia/NW places some 80% in these jobs (i.e. practically Harvard-like placement) and it's been scaled back a lot, but still isn't so terrible.
Those numbers are wrong.

Georgetown placed 48.4% in NLJ 250 + Clerkship
UT placed 47.5% in NLJ + Clerkship

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =1&t=75513

I also think one would need to add federal government hiring to the mix if we are adding clerkship numbers, but those numbers are harder to come by.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:44 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Snooker wrote:There's actually a lot more jobs than just for top 10%, even at a T2ish school like U Houston and SMU, they placed top quarter last year. Georgetown placed about 45% in fed clerkship + NLJ 250; UT Austin places about 50% in fed clerkship + NLJ250 firms; Northwestern and Columbia place about 65%. Before the crash, Columbia/NW places some 80% in these jobs (i.e. practically Harvard-like placement) and it's been scaled back a lot, but still isn't so terrible.

Yes. Let's look at the Class of 2009 placement data. That will accurately describe the current state of the market.

-10 points for abuse of authority, Snooker.
+1

For the 1 millionth time on this site, the CO 2009 received their formal firm offers in the Summer & Fall of 2008 (August, September, maybe October). The worst of the recession was right around January of 2009, and THE ECONOMY DID NOT BOTTOM UNTIL 2Q09. The firms who hired students from the CO 2009 likely had no idea we would see this sort of economic contraction we did btw 3Q08 and 2Q09. The data your are citing are from an entirely different economy. They are of little use in accurately estimating job prospects for the classes of 2010-2012. Do not make important financial decisions while relying on data from a wholly different economy.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:47 pm

JazzOne wrote: I feel hopeless, and I blew off studying last night and watched a movie to detach a bit from the law school pandemonium. I definitely feel ya. This summer might be the first time in 10 years that I am not working or going to school full time.
why aren't you working this summer?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:24 pm

legends159 wrote:
JazzOne wrote: I feel hopeless, and I blew off studying last night and watched a movie to detach a bit from the law school pandemonium. I definitely feel ya. This summer might be the first time in 10 years that I am not working or going to school full time.
I can't find a job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yimbeezy

Bronze

Post by Yimbeezy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:31 pm

JazzOne wrote:
legends159 wrote:
I can't find a job.
I don't know your definition of working or job so: not even unpaid internships? Legal aid? Nonprofits?

lsat_fear

New

Post by lsat_fear » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Yimbeezy wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
legends159 wrote:
I can't find a job.
I don't know your definition of working or job so: not even unpaid internships? Legal aid? Nonprofits?
These are surprisingly hard to get these days, now that everyone who would have been working as a summer associate has now applied to every unpaid internship imaginable.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:40 pm

Yimbeezy wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
legends159 wrote:
I can't find a job.
I have a family. I need a paying job, and I will get one; it just might not be in the legal field.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:43 pm

JazzOne wrote:I have a family. I need a paying job, and I will get one; it just might not be in the legal field.
If you ever want a legal job that will help you provide for your family, not getting one - even as an RA - is an unfathomably poor life choice for your 1L summer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:45 pm

disco_barred wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I have a family. I need a paying job, and I will get one; it just might not be in the legal field.
If you ever want a legal job that will help you provide for your family, not getting one - even as an RA - is an unfathomably poor life choice for your 1L summer.
Tell that to my family. What would suggest I do if I am not offered a paid legal job? Not pay my rent so I can volunteer for legal aid? I'd rather go back to teaching. I'm not incurring any debt for LS anyway.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:54 pm

JazzOne wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Tell that to my family. What would suggest I do if I am not offered a paid legal job? Not pay my rent so I can volunteer for legal aid? I'd rather go back to teaching. I'm not incurring any debt for LS anyway.
reality bites.

sawwaverunner

Bronze

Post by sawwaverunner » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:07 pm

Jazz, Does your school have some sort of grant program that can fund public interest internships? That's how I'm getting through the summer.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:17 pm

JazzOne wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
I mean, if your goal is something other than using 2L fall recruiting to land a firm or government gig, more power to you. Enjoy your summer.

But if you do want a firm job 2l summer and/or beyond, the lack of legal work your 1L summer is a kiss of death. You might be going to law school for free but the opportunity cost is still enormous. Taking on the debt to survive the summer even for low or no pay legal work would yield staggering returns down the line.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:26 pm

sawwaverunner wrote:Jazz, Does your school have some sort of grant program that can fund public interest internships? That's how I'm getting through the summer.
Good idea. I'll look into it.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:30 pm

disco_barred wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
I mean, if your goal is something other than using 2L fall recruiting to land a firm or government gig, more power to you. Enjoy your summer.

But if you do want a firm job 2l summer and/or beyond, the lack of legal work your 1L summer is a kiss of death. You might be going to law school for free but the opportunity cost is still enormous. Taking on the debt to survive the summer even for low or no pay legal work would yield staggering returns down the line.
To me, the unrealized potential for extra income at some point in the future is not worth the stress of guaranteed debt now. Volunteering in a legal position this summer isn't going to guarantee me big law. Who would loan me the money anyway? I don't have a job. Anyone willing to lend me enough money ITE to support my needs for an entire summer ought to have his head examined.

lsat_fear

New

Post by lsat_fear » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:54 pm

JazzOne wrote: To me, the unrealized potential for extra income at some point in the future is not worth the stress of guaranteed debt now. Volunteering in a legal position this summer isn't going to guarantee me big law. Who would loan me the money anyway? I don't have a job. Anyone willing to lend me enough money ITE to support my needs for an entire summer ought to have his head examined.
You can always get 5 credit cards and max them out, then declare bankruptcy at the end of the summer.

enigmaingr

New

Post by enigmaingr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:53 pm

Two words ring true for dealing with these times: adapt and overcome. The state of the economy means that a lot of our cohorts, both current students and recent graduates, will not be in the legal community very long. But the strong always survive and they are the ones that look for and capitalize on every opportunity (even non-legal ones).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”