Study at Library or Study at Apt. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
corporatelaw87

Bronze

Study at Library or Study at Apt.

Post by corporatelaw87 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:01 pm

In undergrad I didn't particularly like studying at the library because people you knew always walked up to you and bothered you, and despite being a library it was always quite noisy. I studied in my apt and was very relaxed while doing it. Do all of you here study at the Law Library, or do you like studying at your apt. too.

caoyun

Bronze

Re: Study at Library or Study at Apt.

Post by caoyun » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:08 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:In undergrad I didn't particularly like studying at the library because people you knew always walked up to you and bothered you, and despite being a library it was always quite noisy. I studied in my apt and was very relaxed while doing it. Do all of you here study at the Law Library, or do you like studying at your apt. too.
I have never been to the law library of my own volition. But I'd imagine that it depends on quiet your apartment is. Some places are louder than others.

Underoath

Bronze

Post by Underoath » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:19 pm

I prefer to study that the library. I'm still in undergrad, but I try to study for the LSAT at home. It doesn't work out with all the distractions around.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:27 pm

People in law libraries tend to let you study. They are quiet enough.

But there are often these 2 guys in the law library who like to gather around their monitors and watch youtube videos then laugh obnoxiously loud while "whispering" loud enough they can be heard across the entire room. Those guys are on the most TTT journal in the school for people who couldn't get onto any other journals, though...

corporatelaw87

Bronze

Post by corporatelaw87 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:30 pm

Snooker wrote:People in law libraries tend to let you study. They are quiet enough.

But there are often these 2 guys in the law library who like to gather around their monitors and watch youtube videos then laugh obnoxiously loud while "whispering" loud enough they can be heard across the entire room. Those guys are on the most TTT journal in the school for people who couldn't get onto any other journals, though...
This is good to know. I just always like studying at home cause if I wanted to take a break (which I am sure most people do, can't study for 7 hours straight) I can pop on the tube or lay down in bed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:45 pm

i am in the lawbrary. a lot.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:01 am

Library. However one negative is that I have to pack a ton of food b/c if I go home I'm not leaving.

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:01 am

apt during school year, library during finals. We have our own study rooms.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:07 am

I may have studied at the law library like, 5 times this year at most. I've studied at home more often, but I am incredibly inefficient there.

Coffee shops and undergrad library FTW!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:43 am

TLS can't answer this for you. Just like almost everything else that has to do with law school (where to sit in class, paper v. laptop, mac v pc, technicolor highlighting v. single color, book briefing v writing notes, etc), its personal preference. Try one, see how you feel about it. Try the other, see how you feel about it. Compare your productivity, proceed accordingly. Profit.

lordbaby

New

Post by lordbaby » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:32 am

i like the lib..too much distraction at home. I dont study on weekends, so it was all good even the lib closes on those days.
there were usually no one there. If someone is noise, i will let them know.
i stayed away from school and the lib last year when the swine flu was strong though.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:32 pm

If your apartment / home is quiet (invest in noise canceling headphones, trust me), try studying at home.

My take on the library is that, come finals time, it will be thick with fear and panic, which breeds in social situations. Also, some people simply cannot tolerate being alone for prolonged periods of time, thus they need to see other people milling about. I never understood what the library offered for people that their own home could not (besides an occasional study aide, which you can take home), but then again, I lived with my understanding fiancee who knew that when I was in go-time mode, she was to leave me alone.

Me, I had no problem locking myself away for an entire month before finals, and not a single regret (gradeswise) from doing so.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Obviously this is a personal choice-

I prefer the library, but I am quite picky. During UG, I would only go to a certain floor and specific area of that floor of our library. If it was occupied then I would go to another library that I liked, or come back another time.

I cant do in the apt, too many distractions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jamaicanjynx

New

Post by jamaicanjynx » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:13 pm

library, but not the law school library. As others have said, the law school library is thick with stress. My school has an awesome undergrad library though. It's open 24 hours and they sell coffee and food on the 1st floor. Can't beat that.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:38 pm

jamaicanjynx wrote:library, but not the law school library. As others have said, the law school library is thick with stress. My school has an awesome undergrad library though. It's open 24 hours and they sell coffee and food on the 1st floor. Can't beat that.

Ah, the wild card pick ftw.

McBean

New

Post by McBean » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:46 am

Library. Not because it is any quieter than home, but because it is easier to focus and I like having the separation. This way, when I go home completely relax. I've actually never taken a case book home. I treat law school like a job and it seems to work for me. That's another topic though.

mac.empress

Bronze

Post by mac.empress » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:40 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
McBean wrote:Library. Not because it is any quieter than home, but because it is easier to focus and I like having the separation. This way, when I go home completely relax. I've actually never taken a case book home. I treat law school like a job and it seems to work for me. That's another topic though.
Our library closes at midnight and opens at 8am. Do other people's stay open later/open earlier?
Ours is 24-6 (closes at 6 p.m. on Sundays but the reading room is open).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kimins

New

Post by kimins » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:23 am

i always studied @ home in undergrad and it worked out pretty well---law school, i'm on the fence--sometimes home just does not cut it--on the other hand, i'm not a big fan of the lib for reasons the OP stated such as ppl come and talk to you and you can't be like dude you're on your break so go take it but i'm not, so lemme study! The library has private rooms but w/ glass doors so ppl will walk in anyway---i love studying at the reading room but it's always minus zero in there for some reason---

downside of lib/reading room: is that if you get hungry, no food. i personally take forever packing b/c when i go, i plan on staying for like four hours so I need all my material unlike @ home which is easy access.....and since i like the reading room, i subject myself to freezing temperatures

upside: sometimes home like i said will not work. reading room has private rooms (if you get lucky and nab one) that are not glass so essentially, you get to study w/ out interruption---and although you have your computer, something about the environment makes me more focused--granted i go on fb or youtube sometimes but not as often as i would at home--PLUS, if i get sleepy, its not comfy in a chair so ill sleep for 20 minutes vs at home which could last an hour in my nice warm bed:)

in the end though, depends on the day but mostly at home b/c of the comforts it provides:)

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:35 pm

Especially near finals time, I find that the library takes on a spazzy energy that I just don't want any part of. I'm pretty distractable at home, so if I feel like I'm not getting work done I just head to a coffee shop with no free wifi.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Neither unless you need to use the reporter books. Find a coffee shop where normal, happy, well adjusted people study.

mac.empress

Bronze

Post by mac.empress » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:11 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:Neither unless you need to use the reporter books. Find a coffee shop where normal, happy, well adjusted people study.
So that as a stressed law student you can aspire to be like them?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:15 am

I study at home exclusively. I typically have the TV on, internet up, and a poker game or two.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”