Is going to profs. for tips on class success tacky? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ok2bedifferent

New

Is going to profs. for tips on class success tacky?

Post by ok2bedifferent » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:20 pm

Since grades came out, I've been told to meet with my old professors in order to go over my finals and attempt to get tips for the next time around. Now, someone also told me to go meet my current professors (one is a federal judge) and see what I need to do to do well in the class. My only reservation is that it will be seen as an attempt to kiss a$$ and that they will lose all respect they had (if any). Your opinions?

yanks27

New

Re: Is going to profs. for tips on class success tacky?

Post by yanks27 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:28 pm

I'd say to meet with them and see what they have to say, especially if you have some pressing questions. You have nothing to lose and will likely get some good insight on how to improve your exam-taking skills. I wouldn't say its kidding ass - the grades are already in! haha

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:46 pm

Generally speaking, I've found that profs (including adjuncts) love to talk to students about anything. So go to your former profs, and go to your current profs. Your current profs may appreciate that you are taking the interest to do well.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:49 pm

yanks27 wrote:I'd say to meet with them and see what they have to say, especially if you have some pressing questions. You have nothing to lose and will likely get some good insight on how to improve your exam-taking skills. I wouldn't say its kidding ass - the grades are already in! haha
Going to old professors is good, as long as you actually have some articulable questions. But going to current professors ins't going to help--they'll just tell you to learn all the material.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Unemployment is even tackier.

Nazrix

New

Post by Nazrix » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:52 am

Profs are used to dbag gunners, some like them. I've never got the sense a prof will use it against you for giving it the old college try, knowing HOW they want you to write an exam is more important than WHAT is on the exam, it'd be rare to get any inside info on the content, but you might get a tip like "I prefer outline format" or "don't use case names" or "I don't mind novel theories" or "i'd rather have you cover as many topics as possible rather than dwell on a few" or vice-versa

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”