grades out, need advice Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pennlaw2012

New

grades out, need advice

Post by pennlaw2012 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:34 pm

I'm a 1L at Upenn, grades just came out. mine look like this: B,B,B,B-

what does this mean for summer employment.

what am i supposed to say in interviews?

Do firms/judges have a cut-off point in terms of GPA?

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Re: grades out, need advice

Post by ZXCVBNM » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:38 pm

your school will go a long way especially in local federal internships with judges. not competing with a lot of other schools there. B's at Penn is not bad. Eitherway as far as employment, I'm told the level of judge is not as important to employers at OCI as long as you land something legal related. basically you want something to talk about at OCI. as far as fall OCI prospects, it is hard to say this early but B's in first semester is nothing to really worry about. if you can work harder and get some B+'s and A-'s next semester then you're in good shape. go to your prof's and go over your exams. it's usually how you write the exam and not what know that makes the difference b/w B's and B+'s or A-'s.

Any type of public interest internships will be open to you.

pennlaw2012

New

Post by pennlaw2012 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:51 pm

THANK YOU

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:01 pm

pennlaw2012 wrote:I'm a 1L at Upenn, grades just came out. mine look like this: B,B,B,B-

What are classes curved to?

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
pennlaw2012 wrote:I'm a 1L at Upenn, grades just came out. mine look like this: B,B,B,B-

What are classes curved to?
They refuse to tell us.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

darkarmour

Bronze

Post by darkarmour » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:08 pm

the aspirational curve is 3.3... and the registrar tries its best to make that the median GPA.

OP: take a look at the grade distributions of the 1L classes - there are binders in the registrar that have that information. Once you get a good picture of the distribution across each class, you'll get a good idea of how GPAs are distributed...

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:22 pm

darkarmour wrote:the aspirational curve is 3.3... and the registrar tries its best to make that the median GPA.

OP: take a look at the grade distributions of the 1L classes - there are binders in the registrar that have that information. Once you get a good picture of the distribution across each class, you'll get a good idea of how GPAs are distributed...
Thanks for the tip. Now how do I go look at these without revealing to the world that I'm a secret gunner?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:28 pm

I'm pretty sure you are below median.

Way below.

I know that Georgetown has a bottom 5% = B-.

I'm sure that Penn has a better curve than that.

So....

Don't feel bad - my second grade wasn't that hot (I only have 2/4 grades!!! FML!)

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:31 pm

kurla88 wrote:
darkarmour wrote:the aspirational curve is 3.3... and the registrar tries its best to make that the median GPA.

Thanks for the tip. Now how do I go look at these without revealing to the world that I'm a secret gunner?
they are right on the front table in the office, everyone looks at them....no gunner worries...now if your in the office and you yell "is it unusual to get 4 A+s?" that is gunning...and ya the Penn curve is around a 3.3, with more Bs then A-s

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:32 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

I'm pretty sure you are below median.

Way below.

I know that Georgetown has a bottom 5% = B-.

I'm sure that Penn has a better curve than that.

So....

Don't feel bad - my second grade wasn't that hot (I only have 2/4 grades!!! FML!)
Ya, Penn's curve is higher the Georgetown's

pennlaw2012

New

Post by pennlaw2012 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:16 pm

ok so basically i'm in the bottom half of the class. Not sure yet how far, but I'll find out soon.

So i have job interview coming up and i have to bring my transcript. How much is this going to kill my prospects?

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:17 pm

pennlaw2012 wrote:ok so basically i'm in the bottom half of the class. Not sure yet how far, but I'll find out soon.

So i have job interview coming up and i have to bring my transcript. How much is this going to kill my prospects?
Will the answer to this question change absolutely anything about your approach to the job interview?

You're at Penn. I'm sure you'll be fine.

ok2bedifferent

New

Post by ok2bedifferent » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:24 pm

my guess is that you won't have any problem. I personally think (absent complete and utter failure in all classes), you will have more opportunities than 80% of us. You made it to UPenn and that in itself will attract a lot of potential employers. So don't worry too much. Just focus on next semester and try to do better. Also, be flexible in geographic location. I think that you will be able to find good work, so long as you keep an open-mind and are flexible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

darkarmour

Bronze

Post by darkarmour » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:28 pm

pennlaw2012 wrote:ok so basically i'm in the bottom half of the class. Not sure yet how far, but I'll find out soon.

I think you're in the bottom third... or at the border between bottom third and the middle third. =(

I would echo advice already given: be extremely flexible with geographic location. Mail-merge-spam federal judges in Iowa, or something. With an excellent second semester, you can pull yourself up to the median, which will keep firms from automatically shredding your resume. Keep your eye on Symplicity, and apply to everything that interests you.

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:41 pm

I'm not sure there are too many jobs available anyway, regardless of your GPA. I've only heard of one or two people at Penn having any luck for summer yet. So your grades may not matter much, anyway. There's always an unpaid internship. That's what I'm gunning for.

sperry

Bronze

Post by sperry » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:47 pm

caoyun wrote:I'm not sure there are too many jobs available anyway, regardless of your GPA. I've only heard of one or two people at Penn having any luck for summer yet. So your grades may not matter much, anyway. There's always an unpaid internship. That's what I'm gunning for.

It's also impossible to calculate your GPA when you only have two of your grades. Somehow our Torts professor was the only professor in the school to not get their grades in, despite the fact that he had half the exams to grade as all the other professors.

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:48 pm

sperry wrote:
caoyun wrote:I'm not sure there are too many jobs available anyway, regardless of your GPA. I've only heard of one or two people at Penn having any luck for summer yet. So your grades may not matter much, anyway. There's always an unpaid internship. That's what I'm gunning for.

It's also impossible to calculate your GPA when you only have two of your grades. Somehow our Torts professor was the only professor in the school to not get their grades in, despite the fact that he had half the exams to grade as all the other professors.
How do you only have two of your grades? You should have three, shouldn't you?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sperry

Bronze

Post by sperry » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:55 pm

caoyun wrote:
sperry wrote:

Still missing one, don't know what's up with that.

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:59 pm

sperry wrote:
caoyun wrote:
sperry wrote:

Still missing one, don't know what's up with that.
That sucks. You could still calculate your GPA with the two grades, I guess. Though according to Penn, it's impossible to calculate your GPA... because, apparently, A = 4.00, A- = 3.67... doesn't exist in the world of Penn.

CCA

New

Post by CCA » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:05 pm

Is the other missing grade section 2 contracts? I don't have that one but my torts is in.

sperry

Bronze

Post by sperry » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:06 pm

Yeah, pretty obnoxious. If they were so against grades, they could just move to the Yale system.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Shouldn't you just need to graduate at Penn?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:11 pm

chitown825 wrote:Shouldn't you just need to graduate at Penn?
HPYSCCNMVB ftmfw

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
chitown825 wrote:Shouldn't you just need to graduate at Penn?
HPYSCCNMVB ftmfw

I wish

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:47 pm

Ya, Penn's curve is higher the Georgetown's
Georgetown just upped its curve. I'm pretty sure they are the same now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”