Bar related questions Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
serotonin

New

Bar related questions

Post by serotonin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:12 am

So I know that the bar is sort of far away for me, but I realized that I do not know how it works exactly.

I am attending Notre Dame Law in August, but I would like to practice law in CA or NY. I know that those are very difficult bars to pass (I would not do both simultaneously if that is even an option). While searching the forums, I read a past post stating that a person took the NY and CT bar simultaneously. Is that possible for all states, given that the bar days do not conflict? How does this work exactly?

Ideally, I'd like to get my degree at Notre Dame and hurry home to CA. Is that possible? Is anyone able to offer personal experiences please?

In addition, what methods do you recommend for studying for the bar?

Thank you. It's greatly appreciated.

bees

Bronze

Re: Bar related questions

Post by bees » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:14 am

serotonin wrote:So I know that the bar is sort of far away for me, but I realized that I do not know how it works exactly.

I am attending Notre Dame Law in August, but I would like to practice law in CA or NY. I know that those are very difficult bars to pass (I would not do both simultaneously if that is even an option). While searching the forums, I read a past post stating that a person took the NY and CT bar simultaneously. Is that possible for all states, given that the bar days do not conflict? How does this work exactly?

Ideally, I'd like to get my degree at Notre Dame and hurry home to CA. Is that possible? Is anyone able to offer personal experiences please?

In addition, what methods do you recommend for studying for the bar?

Thank you. It's greatly appreciated.
Slow down. You have so much else to worry about first. But yes you can take the bar in a different state than where you went go to school. Take the bar in whatever state you plan on working in/are offered a job in.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:42 pm

It is possible to take 2 bars at the same time. Most states require you to pass the multi-state bar exam (MBE), which is created by the NCBE and administered on the same day nationwide. States then schedule their individual state exams on the day before or the day after the MBE. Thus you can take one state bar that is scheduled before the MBE (e.g. NY) and one state bar scheduled after the MBE (e.g. MA).

Most people take a bar review course like Barbri to study for the bar. It's expensive, but very helpful (and if you get hired by a firm beforehand, they may pay for it).

I have no idea on the prospects of going to CA from Notre Dame. Note that in order for you to take the CA state bar, you must register with the CA state bar association 90 days after starting law school (at least that's what was required when I was a 1L). Check out their website to see if that has changed.

Lastly, as said above, take it easy. The bar is not for a while.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:18 pm

You are only going to practice in one state at a time. Just take the bar where your job is. If you are unemployed, take the bar where you want to work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”