Necessities for Law School Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
taytay

New

Re: Necessities for Law School

Post by taytay » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:56 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
DavidYurman85 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Onion wrote:Haha... thats the spirit (pardon the pun)!
:D

For some serious advice - make sure your laptop is in reliable working order, and that it's a laptop you will like. I knew people with laptop problems, and it was VERY frustrating because at most law school you must take your final exams on your own laptop.

solid advice. my girlfriend's dell crashed the day of her final and she ended up having to rent a laptop to take her exam.
This has probably already been mentioned, but the single most important suggestion I could give is to buy a reliable, easy, automatic (if possible) backup system for your computer files. Most everyone can afford to drop $20 on a thumb drive and copy and paste your folders onto it. There is nothing worse than your computer crashing the week before finals and losing your notes/outlines/that damn memo that's due. Small percentage chance this might happen, but it sucks if your number gets called.

DO NOT rely on a flash drive for storing your information. so many things can go wrong with the stored information (not to mention losing those tiny things) from not ejecting them properly to just general glitches. definitely don't work on a file you have open only through your flash drive either, drag it to your desktop, work on it, and then drag it back onto the drive if you need to. they are ok I guess if you are just using them for a backup because you don't have an external harddrive but if you have information you can't live without you should definitely invest in a quality external harddrive. they aren't that much money anymore ($80-$200) can get you a high quality drive with a ton of space. I currently have a lacie hard drive and it has been very good.

DoctorNick189

Bronze

Post by DoctorNick189 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Last edited by DoctorNick189 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:04 pm

thorntll wrote:Whoa whoa WHOA... How did I not know this about black suits?! I am a pretty fashion-conscious woman. I mean, really, fashion is a bit of a passion of mine. The fact that everyone on this board had such a consensus about black suits is freaking me out. Black is white, up is down!

Seriously though, I did NOT know this. My only suit is black. I chose it because black is so much easier to match with shirts than charcoal, and especially more than navy. God I feel like a loser now.

Does this anti-black sentiment apply equally to women's suits?
Different rule for women.

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:09 pm

Georgiana wrote:
thorntll wrote:Whoa whoa WHOA... How did I not know this about black suits?! I am a pretty fashion-conscious woman. I mean, really, fashion is a bit of a passion of mine. The fact that everyone on this board had such a consensus about black suits is freaking me out. Black is white, up is down!

Seriously though, I did NOT know this. My only suit is black. I chose it because black is so much easier to match with shirts than charcoal, and especially more than navy. God I feel like a loser now.

And for geographic location.

PhillyLawGirl

New

Post by PhillyLawGirl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:13 pm

samiseaborn wrote:
Georgiana wrote:

And for geographic location.
Agreed. If you're on the east coast, I think black is fine for women. I wore a black skirt suit, with a cream colored silk blouse, black pumps, and black pantyhose!!! I know that tan hose are the standard/conservative choice, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:15 pm

Georgiana wrote:

Yeah, doesn't apply to women, and I call BS on the 'no black for business' rule for men, too. No black suits with white shirts and plain ties is a good rule, but I can make a black suit look plenty good and not at all like a tuxedo with the right shirt and tie.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:23 pm

betasteve wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Georgiana wrote:

Yeah, doesn't apply to women, and I call BS on the 'no black for business' rule for men, too. No black suits with white shirts and plain ties is a good rule, but I can make a black suit look plenty good and not at all like a tuxedo with the right shirt and tie.
No black for business IS a rule in legal or other conservative professions. DOesn't matter how well you can wear it.
I'm not giving in that easy, sorry. I know there are enough of your kind that it would be foolish for me to wear one to a job interview, but after that you just try and stop me.

It's like my personal crusade to singularize the word "their." Sure, some curmudgeons are against it, but the language needs it and lots of people already use it that way, so I'm not going to let the traditionalists ruin it for me.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 pm

Was in court today with attys from the doj and my biglaw firm in dc. Almost everyone was in a black suit. I was in a black suit. I got my job after interviewing in a black suit. Black suits are fine.

LuvTheWNBA

New

Post by LuvTheWNBA » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:30 pm

betasteve wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Georgiana wrote:

No black for business IS a rule in legal or other conservative professions. DOesn't matter how well you can wear it.
Ummm... I think this is just wrong. That or 70% of my classmates are wrong...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:31 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Was in court today with attys from the doj and my biglaw firm in dc. Almost everyone was in a black suit. I was in a black suit. I got my job after interviewing in a black suit. Black suits are fine.
Can you differentiate between navy, dark charcoal and black? Because I find it hard to believe that most men in your big law DC firm wear black suits.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Was in court today with attys from the doj and my biglaw firm in dc. Almost everyone was in a black suit. I was in a black suit. I got my job after interviewing in a black suit. Black suits are fine.
Can you differentiate between navy, dark charcoal and black? Because I find it hard to believe that most men in your big law DC firm wear black suits.
Did you actually just ask me if I can differentiate between colors?

This is the fourth day of trial. Both partners, one female, one male were in back suits, though the male partners was pin stripped. The mid level associate was a female in black, the junior level associates were both male, one in black the other in navy.

I, the paralegal, was in black.

Doj lead atty was female and in black, can't remember what the men wore (there were two, both in dark suits, though I didn't pay attn to their clothes as much).

The judge wore a black robe, which I felt was a daring choice.
Last edited by Pearalegal on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:41 pm

betasteve wrote: I'm really referring to what is currently relevant. Dressing to get a job.
I suppose we both only have our experiences to speak from, but black suits are very common on both males and women in my firm. I actually went suit shopping with an associate I'm close to, and she got a black suit. We didn't discuss her color choice.

This entire discussion is honestly baffling me. I'll admit to really only being able to speak from a female perspective, and while I've seen men in black suits, I'd swear on life on how common black suits are on women.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:43 pm

betasteve wrote: Black is under a different standard for women.
Fine. But weren't you the one that said it was a rule for everyone? Maybe not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:43 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Did you actually just ask me if I can differentiate between colors?

This is the fourth day of trial. Both partners, one female, one male were in back suits, though the male partners was pin stripped. The mid level associate was a female in black, the junior level associates were both male, one in black the other in navy.

I, the paralegal, was in black.

Doj lead atty was female and in black, can't remember what the men wore (there were two, both in dark suits, though I didn't pay attn to their clothes as much).

The judge wore a black robe, which I felt was a daring choice.
Many people have a hell of a time telling a dark charcoal suit from a black suit depending on the lighting which is why I asked.

The rule doesn't exist for women.

DC must don't follow tradition as much as Chicago, because businessmen here don't wear black.
Last edited by 09042014 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:46 pm

betasteve wrote:know very, very little about women's fashion.
Haha, ok.
Desert Fox wrote: DC must don't follow tradition as much as Chicago, because businessmen here don't wear black.
Weird.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:56 pm

are women expected to wear hose all the time????

god, i hope not. :|

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:02 am

Highlighters
A good pen (cross etc)
A leather portfolio thingie
Legal pads
Two suits, one navy and one charcoal, non-pinstriped
A leather satchel (backpacks ruin suits & are unprofessional)
J&M Melton Oxfords
A sense of humor
A serious tolerance for alcohol
Chocolate (boosts morale)
Lots of tea and/or coffee
E&Es
Headphones, preferably noise-canceling
A dog
Trojan Ultra-Thins
Decent Laptop
A laptop case
Microsoft OneNote
Some sort of file backup system

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:20 am

betasteve wrote:
Renzo wrote: I'm not giving in that easy, sorry. I know there are enough of your kind that it would be foolish for me to wear one to a job interview, but after that you just try and stop me.

It's like my personal crusade to singularize the word "their." Sure, some curmudgeons are against it, but the language needs it and lots of people already use it that way, so I'm not going to let the traditionalists ruin it for me.
First, it's not just traditionalists. It's everyone but style extremists. And "my kind?" You mean people that don't want the office to turn into a hipster hole of black suits and skinny ties? Cash was a musician dude, not an attorney. After your job interview, that's fine if you want and are OK with the possibility of partners judging you. I'm really referring to what is currently relevant. Dressing to get a job.
I am as anti-hipster hole as anyone. But a black suit with subtle texture and maybe pinstripes paired with the right patterned shirt isn't the same as dressing like a stand-in from Reservoir Dogs.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:23 am

I plan on getting a weighted bookmark --

http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Aids-Weighte ... item-added

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:31 am

amyLAchemist wrote: Glasses - get your eyes checked
+1

Thought I had perfect vision turns out I was farsighted like mad (but I did so much reading in UG?!!) And hey, only have to wear them while reading! :D

frix0803

Bronze

Post by frix0803 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:42 am

leobowski wrote:Highlighters
A good pen (cross etc)
A leather portfolio thingie
Legal pads
Two suits, one navy and one charcoal, non-pinstriped
A leather satchel (backpacks ruin suits & are unprofessional)
J&M Melton Oxfords
A sense of humor
A serious tolerance for alcohol
Chocolate (boosts morale)
Lots of tea and/or coffee
E&Es
Headphones, preferably noise-canceling
A dog
Trojan Ultra-Thins
Decent Laptop
A laptop case
Microsoft OneNote
Some sort of file backup system
Just out of curiosity, why not pinstriped?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:45 am

This:
or if you're not a coffee snob then this:

I drink lots of coffee, and I don't like super-hot coffee. Saved tons of money and time by using the cheap Nescafe coffee packets. Nothing better than just-add-water coffee packets.

kumba84

Bronze

Post by kumba84 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:48 am

pandacot wrote:This:
or if you're not a coffee snob then this:

I drink lots of coffee, and I don't like super-hot coffee. Saved tons of money and time by using the cheap Nescafe coffee packets. Nothing better than just-add-water coffee packets.
Via Ready Brew is pretty decent. I'm a coffee snob, received them as a gift, and was pleasantly surprised after initially turning up my nose.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:05 am

I saw that this thread grew two pages since I last tuned in and got really excited about all the tips&tricks I was going to get for my next trip to office depot (not to be a gunner... just really love school supplies...)

Why the double standard for black suits? (No feminism intended-- just curiosity)

jmk261

New

Post by jmk261 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:19 am

I work at a US Attorney's Office on the east coast and can say that the men here wear black suits often.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”