Living with Parents during Law school? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
prezidentv8

Gold

Re: Living with Parents during Law school?

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:27 pm

avacado111 wrote:parental support+free food+awesome living space+saving money=amazing

You can still have a life and live with your parents. I don't know why everyone get's so pent up. But then again, my parents are pretty chill. For undergrad I lived at home (DC area=gtown). I would pretty much live at home and commute in the mornings. If it got that hectic I would just crash the night at a friend's place (this really happened twice each semester during finals week). I would be out the house at like 7am and come home at anytime during the night. I saved a ton of money. I still went out where I wanted too. It was the best decision in my life. I wish I could do this in ls (i'm not going to be in the dc area)... I am jealous of people who can :D
Yeah seriously people need to check their egos, save the money, and enjoy the much better food.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:30 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
avacado111 wrote:parental support+free food+awesome living space+saving money=amazing

You can still have a life and live with your parents. I don't know why everyone get's so pent up. But then again, my parents are pretty chill. For undergrad I lived at home (DC area=gtown). I would pretty much live at home and commute in the mornings. If it got that hectic I would just crash the night at a friend's place (this really happened twice each semester during finals week). I would be out the house at like 7am and come home at anytime during the night. I saved a ton of money. I still went out where I wanted too. It was the best decision in my life. I wish I could do this in ls (i'm not going to be in the dc area)... I am jealous of people who can :D
Yeah seriously people need to check their egos, save the money, and enjoy the much better food.
honestly. I don't get the problem. I am lucky enough to have an amazing set of parents who are pretty chill. But I could get the viewpoint of someone who had conflict with their parents and aren't able to living with them.

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:30 pm

What's that psychological construct that explains the manner in which people justify things to themselves while, at the same time, proving the validity of the contrasting opinion which they become further and further disassociated with due to the unconscious will?

Joking... well, suffice it to say, these justifications aren't necessarily compelling to everyone. With that said, different strokes for different (people living with their) folks. ;)

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:42 pm

fonzerelli wrote:

What's that psychological construct that explains the manner in which people justify things to themselves while, at the same time, proving the validity of the contrasting opinion which they become further and further disassociated with due to the unconscious will?

Joking... well, suffice it to say, these justifications aren't necessarily compelling to everyone. With that said, different strokes for different (people living with their) folks. ;)
hmmm... I don't have any "disassociation from the unconscious will..." lol... I guess your correct with different strokes... When I was at Gtown at undergrad, I used to get the same responses from peep who weren't really in my close circle of friends. "What you live at home? How do you handle it?" I was always mystified at the thought of why people felt like this. I actually wanted to live at home for like the next three years... but obviously UVA is much better than Gtown... and I'm sad that I have to leave!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:36 pm

The best option is to live on your own and convince your parents to pay part of your rent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

frost

Bronze

Post by frost » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:34 pm

avacado111 wrote:
fonzerelli wrote:

hmmm... I don't have any "disassociation from the unconscious will..." lol... I guess your correct with different strokes... When I was at Gtown at undergrad, I used to get the same responses from peep who weren't really in my close circle of friends. "What you live at home? How do you handle it?" I was always mystified at the thought of why people felt like this. I actually wanted to live at home for like the next three years... but obviously UVA is much better than Gtown... and I'm sad that I have to leave!
I actually lived at home during college and currently in LS. Like another poster said though, my parents are really chill so during college I spent most of the year living in friends' suites and it worked out fine. I also find that college people seem to look down on living at home more but all I've heard people say in LS is that I'm lucky to be able to save so much money. I'm sure part of it is that I'm in NYC and I really am saving like $15k a year by staying at home. Nevertheless, I think people in LS are just more realistic and grown up, so even if you want to call it a justification, people accept your justification very readily.

I say live at home if your parents are cool. At the end of three years I'll be saving $45k, and maybe even closer to 50k since I'm getting free meals and rides to school whenever my parents drive in to work.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:39 pm

what i did was move out and buy an apartment with my then fiance. It was cheaper than renting. Our mortgage is lower than any rent and I live 2.5 minutes from school and I am surrounded by major malls, the airport, hospitals, etc... Pretty centric place.

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:52 pm

frost wrote: I'm getting free meals and rides to school whenever my parents drive in to work.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

LOL - you're kidding, right? Wow. It is truly striking the differences in world-view and experience levels we'll be seeing in the fall. I'm telling you, you'd be doing yourself a great favor by venturing out of the nest during LS - just my opinion though.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:18 pm

If you've never really lived on your own, then sacrificing your freedom for three more years of law school probably won't be a big deal for you. As for me, I've been living on my own nine out of the past ten years. If I had to suddenly move back in with my parents, I'd kill myself. I love them, they're awesome and supportive, but seriously, no.

Need a minimum 1,000 miles safe distance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:21 pm

NayBoer wrote:If you've never really lived on your own, then sacrificing your freedom for three more years of law school probably won't be a big deal for you. As for me, I've been living on my own nine out of the past ten years. If I had to suddenly move back in with my parents, I'd kill myself. I love them, they're awesome and supportive, but seriously, no.

It is soo funny the difference from culture to culture. I think I would be very very sad if i were 1,000 miles away from my parents. I do not live with them. In fact, I am married and live in a condo we purchased before school started. However, I am only 15 miles away from them.
Last edited by rbgrocio on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jockinjay-z

New

Post by jockinjay-z » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:31 pm

fonzerelli wrote:I'm going to propose a theory, and I'm not sure how old most of you are. I'm married and way past these considerations but I do have something to offer....

I believe any monetary savings realized by living with your folks during law school is FAR less than the other things you'd lose in the process - having friends/associates over, networking, pride, not being trapped in a quasi-infantilized state of support, etc. Don't do it, take the debt. It doesn't sound smart from a strictly accounting point of view but neither does your mom washing your underwear while you pretend to be an adult.

I agree thats part of my dilemma too. I've commuted all four yrs of undergrad and really would like to get out of the nest egg for a while to network, become more of an adult, etc. However at the same time I'm not sure if spending the extra $40 or so K would be worth it in the LR if i decide to get my own place for law school or share with a roommate??

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Free food and laundry. Can't beat it with a baseball bat!

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:43 pm

Some of you guys are really weird. I've lived on my own for almost 6 years now (all of undergrad, before law school, during law school) and I would love living at home. (Well, right now I live with my s/o but I literally lived "alone" during all of undergrad.) Even though I live in a REALLY NICE apartment, living on your own = doing your own grocery shopping/laundry/paying bills/cleaning/cooking, etc. I hate doing housework more than anything and tbh, I can't cook worth sh*t.

Maybe I was spoiled, but living at home = doing no housework and good food without lifting a finger/calling the deliveryman. Living at home is a luxury. Enjoy it. Living on your own or with your s/o who also hates housework/can't cook is not all that it's cracked up to be.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:47 pm

postitnotes wrote:Some of you guys are really weird. I've lived on my own for almost 6 years now (all of undergrad, before law school, during law school) and I would love living at home. (Well, right now I live with my s/o but I literally lived "alone" during all of undergrad.) Even though I live in a REALLY NICE apartment, living on your own = doing your own grocery shopping/laundry/paying bills/cleaning/cooking, etc. I hate doing housework more than anything and tbh, I can't cook worth sh*t.

Maybe I was spoiled, but living at home = doing no housework and good food without lifting a finger/calling the deliveryman. Living at home is a luxury. Enjoy it.
I'm with that guy.

Plus, you don't actually have to give up THAT much freedom, do y'all?

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:49 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
NayBoer wrote:If you've never really lived on your own, then sacrificing your freedom for three more years of law school probably won't be a big deal for you. As for me, I've been living on my own nine out of the past ten years. If I had to suddenly move back in with my parents, I'd kill myself. I love them, they're awesome and supportive, but seriously, no.

It is soo funny the difference from culture to culture. I think I would be very very sad if i were 1,000 miles away from my parents. I do not live with them. In fact, I am married and live in a condo we purchased before school started. However, I am only 15 miles away from them.
What culture are you?

Half my friends from high school are living in the same area and half are away in different states, so I'm not sure I epitomize my culture.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:54 pm

NayBoer wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

What culture are you?

Half my friends from high school are living in the same area and half are away in different states, so I'm not sure I epitomize my culture.

Perhaps it is not a culture thing. Perhaps I am generalizing, but I believe Hispanics tend to be more attached to their parents in the sense of sticking around and not going so far away to college and things like that. I did not have a problem living with my parents at all all throughout college. I never felt restrained. When I moved out and moved in with my husband I was super sad for two days! lol I had never lived without my parents!!! and they are only 15 miles away.

Connelly

Bronze

Post by Connelly » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:19 pm

No shame in doing it. Assuming a normal to positive relationship with one's parents, it's a great move. Obviously, there are massive financial advantages (assuming it doesn't create some oddly expensive commute). And what do you really need from living conditions anyway? I really just need a place to lay my head at night (which, in school, may only be a few hours). You can do your studying down at school, in coffee shops, etc. Having parents that don't care when you come home (or if) is fairly common at the normal law student's age, and that helps with not feeling like you're on lockdown socially. Consider using some of the saved money to get away at breaks. It doesn't have to be expensive.

Debbie Downer tidbit: I put my father in the ground from completely unexpected cancer when I was 25. Time with your parents isn't the worst fate during law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:22 pm

i get along great with my folks but i cannot sleep on a bunkbed anymore

clwilson6

Bronze

Post by clwilson6 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:32 pm

rbgrocio wrote:

Yeah, it must be a cultural thing because if I lived with my parents for a long period of time, they'd forget that I'd grown up at some point and will want to dictate to me how I live my life all over again. I remember when I took a month of leave from the military and spent it at my parents for about 2 weeks. At about the end of the first week, I came home at about 4:00 a.m. from a party and my Mom went insane on me when I got up. I had to remind her that I was a grown man. Her response was that I wasn't going to stay there and come and go all times of the day and night. Needless to say, I don't stay with Mom more than a couple of days before I have to head for the hills.

gollymolly

Bronze

Post by gollymolly » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:46 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:55 pm

I'd want to be able to have sleepovers with boys and be obnoxiously drunk/loud and throw a party if I so choose. These aren't the most important things to me, but they're up there.

Mom and Dad would not approve of naked boys.

I would get tired of my mom's mothering pretty damn fast. I'm sure I'll look forward to my breaks where I can go home and get babied, but not all the time. We'd all kill one another.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:17 pm

For the nay-sayers, it sounds like your parents suck. For those of us with cool parents, living at home is ideal. My mom lets the s/o and me share a bed when we visit...that is how cool my mother is. I would gladly live with my mom or my S/O's parents, given the chance.
gollymolly wrote:I'm honestly a little shocked to find out that people who are old enough to go to law school still have cooking/cleaning/laundry done by their parents when they live at home.
Yeah, I know. Aren't they lucky?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:24 pm

I honestly couldn't do it. I underachieved big time in HS, and I think a big part of that was the constant distractions of living at home. I can't study with mom asking me to keep an eye on dinner on the stove, dad always trying to start small talk, social/extended family obligations, etc. I needed to get out of the house for UG. Similarly, even though there aren't any serious LS contenders in my home town, I wouldn't even consider living at home for LS. To each his own, though, I suppose.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:27 pm

postitnotes wrote:For the nay-sayers, it sounds like your parents suck. For those of us with cool parents, living at home is ideal. My mom lets the s/o and me share a bed when we visit...that is how cool my mother is. I would gladly live with my mom or my S/O's parents, given the chance.
gollymolly wrote:I'm honestly a little shocked to find out that people who are old enough to go to law school still have cooking/cleaning/laundry done by their parents when they live at home.
Yeah, I know. Aren't they lucky?
Haha, I don't know if that counts as "cool..." (sounds like I'm talking to the kid in high school who had parents who let him smoke and drink in the house....oooooh, exciting!) just a different way of doing things. I wouldn't want to sleep with my significant other in my parents house, though sneaking around to manage it was uh, fun in high school.

I just wouldn't want to wake up with my boyfriend and have eggs with my mom. I like my independence too much. Plus, my mom would laugh in my face if I was ever living with her, not paying rent...and then assumed she would do my laundry and buy my food. She raised me to want to do things on my own, and certainly isn't going to constantly baby me now that I have a college degree and can take care of myself.

WhyBother?

Bronze

Post by WhyBother? » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:33 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I honestly couldn't do it. I underachieved big time in HS, and I think a big part of that was the constant distractions of living at home. I can't study with mom asking me to keep an eye on dinner on the stove, dad always trying to start small talk, social/extended family obligations, etc. I needed to get out of the house for UG. Similarly, even though there aren't any serious LS contenders in my home town, I wouldn't even consider living at home for LS. To each his own, though, I suppose.
+1
My parents and I get along fine, and I find it amusing to see how people assume otherwise since I wouldn't want to live with them in my mid-twenties. If other peoples' parents are totally part of the background and not distractions, then great for them. But my family sounds more like yours. I even moved out while I was still looking for a job. I found being at my parents house to be too comfortable and definitely didn't motivate me to work hard. I guess I work well in sink-or-swim situations, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”