ITT (post-pg 4) we discuss OperaSoprano's awesomeness Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What now?

Don't do it, graduate from LS in 2.5 years and realize an even larger debt while unemployed
46%
Return home to live with parents in quiet shame and despair until they disown me for being an abject failure
26%
Shoot myself in the head with a large caliber bullet
28%

Total votes: 149

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Dropping out of lawl school

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:36 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
thesealocust wrote:If this turns out to be elaborate flame, I vote LXW gets flushed down the same toilet CE2JD was sent down :P
What do you mean "if"?
I swear to god I'm going to kill him. I will so ban him for intentional infliction of emotional distress. Where is he?
Wow. Someone finally found a way to make OS go into mod rage!

(Impending banhammer is justified IMO, BTW.)

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:45 am

vanwinkle wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
thesealocust wrote:If this turns out to be elaborate flame, I vote LXW gets flushed down the same toilet CE2JD was sent down :P
What do you mean "if"?
I swear to god I'm going to kill him. I will so ban him for intentional infliction of emotional distress. Where is he?
Wow. Someone finally found a way to make OS go into mod rage!

(Impending banhammer is justified IMO, BTW.)
I sent him a PM. He is going to answer to me for doing this.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:47 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I sent him a PM. He is going to answer to me for doing this.
--ImageRemoved--

roadkilllaw

New

Post by roadkilllaw » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:05 am

I'm prbly being an idiot, but how do we know this is a flame? I'd think with >13000 posts that it wouldn't be...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:06 am

roadkilllaw wrote:I'm prbly being an idiot, but how do we know this is a flame? I'd think with >13000 posts that it wouldn't be...
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p2428543

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:07 am

I just want to point out that even though the signs point to this being flame, Lxw's post in the other thread was a little bit unclear. It's possible that he didn't get all of his grades at once or that he overestimated the median at his school or a number of other situations.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:08 am

roadkilllaw wrote:I'm prbly being an idiot, but how do we know this is a flame? I'd think with >13000 posts that it wouldn't be...
I just spoke with him via PM. He has no idea how upset I am with him right now, but this is now a confirmed flame.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Re: ITT (post-pg 4) we discuss OperaSoprano's awesomeness

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:10 am

its only really a flame post-facto because i did nothing to update my situation as it became more known to me

roadkilllaw

New

Post by roadkilllaw » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:10 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
I just spoke with him via PM. He has no idea how upset I am with him right now, but this is now a confirmed flame.
wow. To think I actually felt bad for someone I didn't even know...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:11 am

Lxw wrote:its only really a flame post-facto because i did nothing to update my situation as it became more known to me
This is what I figured.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:19 am

My god Lxw, I am literally shaking. That's how upset with you I am. Don't you know what we're all going through?

EDIT: I'm not going to ban you, because I am too close to the situation and could not act in a disinterested manner. This does not diminish the utter yuckiness of this prank. People here were genuinely worried about you.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:25 am

OperaSoprano wrote:My god Lxw, I am literally shaking. That's how upset with you I am. Don't you know what we're all going through?
:| :cry: I don't know what to say that will make it better, other than that I'm a poopyhead

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:29 am

you are a poopyhead.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:31 am

Oh man. :mrgreen: I feel bad, but then again, a good prank is a good prank.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:34 am

Lxw wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:My god Lxw, I am literally shaking. That's how upset with you I am. Don't you know what we're all going through?
:| :cry: I don't know what to say that will make it better, other than that I'm a poopyhead
I think you should apologize to the people who were upset and worried for you. The beauty of TLS is that for all its snarkiness, this is a supportive place. If you really were in a situation like this you would always find someone ready to advise you, sit with you, talk to you... I know you were freaked out while waiting for your grades. So am I. I only have one final back, and I'm crossing my fingers and hoping against hope that the remaining one was good. Some of my friends are upset about their grades, and I'm doing everything I can to be there for them. You should know how awful this waiting is for all of us.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:36 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I think you should apologize to the people who were upset and worried for you. The beauty of TLS is that for all its snarkiness, this is a supportive place.
+1

I was like, "Oh, good, Lxw isn't giving up, I should PM him and say I'll give whatever help I can to help him improve next semester if he wants it..." And then I saw the rest and was like :evil:

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:37 am

For me, this episode brings to the fore one of the weird contradictions about being very helpful and supportive with a group of competitive and largely fungible law students. If Lxw isn't doing very poorly, someone else is; that's the nature of the curve and the profession.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:40 am

mallard wrote:For me, this episode brings to the fore one of the weird contradictions about being very helpful and supportive with a group of competitive and largely fungible law students. If Lxw isn't doing very poorly, someone else is; that's the nature of the curve and the profession.
Mallard, I hate it! Why does this have to be a zero sum game? The schools know what the system does to students. The literature is out there, and there have certainly been enough studies done. I don't think the "ability to stand out to employers" justifies this at all.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:46 am

betasteve wrote:LXW speaks in tongues in lounge, now he's above median? Maybe he is Pentecostal????
Va sanora figuru?

transferguy

New

Post by transferguy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:47 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
mallard wrote:For me, this episode brings to the fore one of the weird contradictions about being very helpful and supportive with a group of competitive and largely fungible law students. If Lxw isn't doing very poorly, someone else is; that's the nature of the curve and the profession.
Mallard, I hate it! Why does this have to be a zero sum game? The schools know what the system does to students. The literature is out there, and there have certainly been enough studies done. I don't think the "ability to stand out to employers" justifies this at all.
So what is your solution?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:50 am

After this post the topic of this thread shall automatically shift to how awesome OS is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:53 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
OS is awesome and I fully agree with her. The curve is a stupid idea. Period.

And I'm too lazy to explain myself so you'll just have to trust in the awesomeness of OS.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:56 am

OS is in fact rather awesome. Her caring and compassion knows no bounds. She even has the capacity to forgive Lxw. :lol:

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:05 am

Not to be the next poopyhead ITT, but anti-curve crusaders ought to consider the fact that curve's existence standardizes differences among instructors. If it weren't for it, we'd all be left hoping we got professors inclined to give out As. My initial English professor in high school gave out exactly one A in my class (luckily, I was the happy recipient). My next one - who was considerably milder and less demanding - gave out 12.

Yeah, curve makes it impossible for everyone to get As. However, it also assures that someone must have an A at least. I've had exams in my life where I'd get a C+ and said C+ would be the highest grade in the class - and that was okay, because no one needed to get any particular grade. Just sayin'.

All that said, I concur with the 'OS is awesome' sentiment. :)

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:13 am

dresden doll wrote:Not to be the next poopyhead ITT, but anti-curve crusaders ought to consider the fact that curve's existence standardizes differences among instructors. If it weren't for it, we'd all be left hoping we got professors inclined to give out As. My initial English professor in high school gave out exactly one A in my class (luckily, I was the happy recipient). My next one - who was considerably milder and less demanding - gave out 12.

Yeah, curve makes it impossible for everyone to get As. However, it also assures that someone must have an A at least. I've had exams in my life where I'd get a C+ and said C+ would be the highest grade in the class - and that was okay, because no one needed to get any particular grade. Just sayin'.

All that said, I concur with the 'OS is awesome' sentiment. :)
Of course this is right. But it doesn't necessarily incent the sort of behavior or mindset that we might like.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”