UC Davis Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
ocelot01

New

Re: UC Davis Class of 2014

Post by ocelot01 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Hello! I am also apartment-hunting. I have done a lot of research and looked at some places, so if anyone would like any info, please let me know. I am really looking forward to meeting all of you.
rubbersoul89 wrote:it'd be nice to get a little law school community going over there for next year!
I completely agree! It would be nice to live close to each other.

captainhook

New

Post by captainhook » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:30 pm

i am a current 1L and have a room available in my condo. master bedroom. $850 a month. Let me know if you are interested. You can check it out during ASD!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:32 pm

For living, let me put in a huge plug for South/East Davis. I live off Mace and drive to school, and it's tons quieter and cheaper than living Downtown.

lmrcl041

New

Post by lmrcl041 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:30 pm

Did anyone go to the ASD this weekend? Any impressions? It would be cool to hear from people who could compare it to Hastings! :)

rubbersoul89

New

Post by rubbersoul89 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:00 pm

I'm in class so I'll have to write a longer entry about ASD later but I went and absolutely loved it!! I put my deposit down last night and will be officially attending Davis in the fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Daisy16

New

Post by Daisy16 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:37 pm

lmrcl041 wrote:Did anyone go to the ASD this weekend? Any impressions? It would be cool to hear from people who could compare it to Hastings! :)
Yes it would be great to hear what everyone thought of the ASD last weekend! I missed it and am trying to decide between Daivs and Hastings. Thanks :)

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Daisy16 wrote:
lmrcl041 wrote:Did anyone go to the ASD this weekend? Any impressions? It would be cool to hear from people who could compare it to Hastings! :)
Yes it would be great to hear what everyone thought of the ASD last weekend! I missed it and am trying to decide between Daivs and Hastings. Thanks :)
I'm still living it up in Sacramento/Davis, but will post a longer update once I go home and somehow gain access to a computer. But all in all, I love the school and will be back on campus tomorrow (to turn in deposit/travel stipend forms, and also look at apts.)

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:59 am

rubbersoul89 wrote:I'm in class so I'll have to write a longer entry about ASD later but I went and absolutely loved it!! I put my deposit down last night and will be officially attending Davis in the fall.
My new avatar undoubtedly gives it away, but barring a hail mary from USC, I'll be joining you there as well. :D Paid my deposit last night.

I'd done all the research on cost, jobs, etc etc, so all my ASD visits lately have been for that feel and ambience of the school, and UC Davis is the first one where I could really see myself for the next 3 years. Loved the speakers, met some other really helpful 1Ls and prospectives...everything kinda clicked. And all the talk about Davis being a tight-knit community is no joke.

minky

New

Post by minky » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:36 am

jwmalone87 wrote:
rubbersoul89 wrote:I'm in class so I'll have to write a longer entry about ASD later but I went and absolutely loved it!! I put my deposit down last night and will be officially attending Davis in the fall.
My new avatar undoubtedly gives it away, but barring a hail mary from USC, I'll be joining you there as well. :D Paid my deposit last night.

I'd done all the research on cost, jobs, etc etc, so all my ASD visits lately have been for that feel and ambience of the school, and UC Davis is the first one where I could really see myself for the next 3 years. Loved the speakers, met some other really helpful 1Ls and prospectives...everything kinda clicked. And all the talk about Davis being a tight-knit community is no joke.
I agree. I went to Hastings ASD as well and I've been agonizing over this decision for a while. I was impressed by Hastings but after Saturday I'm def going to Davis. I loved ASD....I thought the profs, students, and prospective students were really nice. I enjoyed the panel presentations and overall I had a great time. I just felt like I could fit in there and bee happy...so go Aggies!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bearlegdairy

Bronze

Post by Bearlegdairy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:45 am

minky wrote:
I agree. I went to Hastings ASD as well and I've been agonizing over this decision for a while. I was impressed by Hastings but after Saturday I'm def going to Davis. I loved ASD....I thought the profs, students, and prospective students were really nice. I enjoyed the panel presentations and overall I had a great time. I just felt like I could fit in there and bee happy...so go Aggies!
I was speaking with one of the legal writing professors who let some of his students bring dogs to class. I think I'm going to like it here.

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:22 pm

minky wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:

I will definitely attend Davis this fall! I hope to meet you all when classes start. And I also visited Hastings as well. It was nice but I felt a little disjointed and detached from the institution. I did not have that feeling at Davis. That was a large part of my decision.

Also, more importantly, what exactly is an aggie. Wolipedia was not particularly helpful.

Bearlegdairy

Bronze

Post by Bearlegdairy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:35 pm

lhlee wrote:
Also, more importantly, what exactly is an aggie. Wolipedia was not particularly helpful.
From the Davis wiki:

Students at UC Davis are often called Aggies because of the school's agricultural reputation, though the official mascot is a mustang named Gunrock. As a result, many businesses around town have the word Aggie in their name (e.g. Aggie Inn, Aggie Square, Aggie Nails, etc). The name of the UC Davis newspaper is The California Aggie, also commonly called "The Aggie" by students.

"From the UC Davis News & Notes, 1997: STUDENTS SAY 'NEIGH' TO MUSTANG

A cow? A mustang? An Aggie? You might say that the UC Davis mascot has had an identity crisis of late. But now a group of students is attempting to remedy that.

A student body vote on a referendum in February [1997] declared the Aggie the winner ....
Adding to the confusion was a student vote taken in 1993 that, by a slim margin, named the cow as mascot. And while apparently there is no official policy specifying how to go about changing the university's mascot, a lack of administrative and alumni approval of the cow design left the matter languishing without any consensus.

The name Aggie does, indeed, have a long history at UC Davis. A 1922 editorial in the University Farm Agricola, predecessor to The California Aggie, said, "Up till now our men here have been known as the 'Davis Farmers.' In practically all the agricultural colleges of the United States, 'Aggies' is the name used. . . . The name has a college air, a football air, about it. . . . Let's call ourselves the Aggies. Hasn't it a winning sound to it?" A few years later, the mustang—inspired by a famous Thoroughbred stallion named Gunrock—was adopted as the symbol for UC Davis athletic teams and used interchangeably with Aggie.

Of the nearly 3,000 students voting .... 75 percent called for the Aggie to replace the mustang....."

pensky5000

New

Post by pensky5000 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:36 pm

minky wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:

+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:04 am

Anyone else here for roommates this fall? I've done a good deal of research online and found some pretty quiet/well-maintained complexes, but would rather have some other UCD law students than whatever undergrad their roommate-matching programs find for me.

hellohello

New

Post by hellohello » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:16 pm

Hey everyone :)
Are any female Davis law students looking for roommates to live with in the fall?
I'm interested in the Ramble Apartments at West Village- PM if you have any questions~

New

Post by 80884 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:53 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:Anyone else here for roommates this fall? I've done a good deal of research online and found some pretty quiet/well-maintained complexes, but would rather have some other UCD law students than whatever undergrad their roommate-matching programs find for me.

+1

No.1 student

New

Post by No.1 student » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:04 am

Hey ocelot01, perhaps you can do what my sister did: you can book a hotel room for a couple of days and check out the area and explore your options. There are nice deals on nearby hotels on --LinkRemoved--. Hope this helps and I wish you luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

auroojgulzar

New

Post by auroojgulzar » Wed May 04, 2011 3:46 pm

is anyone still waiting to hear from Davis? is it a lost cause waiting to even hear anything now? my app says in evaluation but its been like that for three weeks now.

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi guys,
I just finished up my 1L year at Davis. If you have any questions about Davis in general or 1L year, let me know. I'm so excited to meet you all next fall! :D

thebauss

New

Post by thebauss » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:37 pm

Hey just got accepted off the waitlist.

How is the community around davis? I know it isn't a big city but I am considering Hastings also and wondering some of the main differences

Also any housing suggestions would be great? Are there any complexes where students tend to live?

And how did you like your time so far at the school?

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:09 pm

thebauss wrote:Hey just got accepted off the waitlist.

How is the community around davis? I know it isn't a big city but I am considering Hastings also and wondering some of the main differences

Also any housing suggestions would be great? Are there any complexes where students tend to live?

And how did you like your time so far at the school?
1) The community is great. The vibe around school is pretty laid back, at least until finals come around. Make sure that you are happy with a small-town atmosphere. I rarely can go to the safeway without running into other law students.

2) Students tend to live in every complex. UCD is a huge school in a small town, so students are like half of the population. If you specifically want to live around other King Hall students, there are large concentrations at The Lexingtion, Adobe, and Greystone. As far as housing suggestions, I'm a big fan of South Davis. There are great parks, awesome run/bike trails, and the area is pretty quiet.

3) Overall, I've enjoyed my time here. I have had a few awesome professors (but also a few mediocre ones), I've made some good friends, and I really enjoy my summer work so far.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Henchman21

New

Post by Henchman21 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:12 pm

In off the waitlist as well

thebauss

New

Post by thebauss » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:24 am

Congrats!..I'm headed up there wednesday to look at housing. Anyone have any other suggestions to check out for a nice 1 bedroom near campus? Preferably where other law students may live

thebauss

New

Post by thebauss » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:56 am

Is anyone living in the viridian next year? I'm leaning towards it. Anyone have any other suggestions for 1 Bedrooms close to campus...Maybe downtown?

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:22 pm

tag
is any female still looking for a roommate?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”