Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
aquasalad

Bronze

Re: Indiana Bloomington - Class of 2014

Post by aquasalad » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:56 pm

...moving on, does anyone know when we can purchase Windows at the discounted student price? I'd really like to go ahead and install that and start running it in Bootcamp on OSX, preferably at least a month before I have to start relying on it for summer school. Having some time to get used to it, fix issues, and set it up to my liking would be very nice.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:59 pm

aquasalad wrote:...moving on, does anyone know when we can purchase Windows at the discounted student price? I'd really like to go ahead and install that and start running it in Bootcamp on OSX, preferably at least a month before I have to start relying on it for summer school. Having some time to get used to it, fix issues, and set it up to my liking would be very nice.
I think you can get it for free: http://iuware.iu.edu/

aquasalad

Bronze

Post by aquasalad » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Thanks for the link, but I was unable to find Microsoft Windows. I may have to call the bookstore and see how to get it.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:05 pm

aquasalad wrote:Thanks for the link, but I was unable to find Microsoft Windows. I may have to call the bookstore and see how to get it.
It's not available for download. You have to go to the bookstore, apparently.

chrisnashville

Bronze

Post by chrisnashville » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:06 pm

Verity wrote:
aquasalad wrote:Thanks for the link, but I was unable to find Microsoft Windows. I may have to call the bookstore and see how to get it.
http://iuware.iu.edu/title.aspx?id=1126

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:08 pm

chrisnashville wrote:
Verity wrote:
http://iuware.iu.edu/title.aspx?id=1126
It says at the bottom, "Available for Download: No." You can have them send it to you, I think.

*Edit: It says you have to actually be enrolled in classes. You can call the bookstore, but I'd probably just wait until the year starts.

chrisnashville

Bronze

Post by chrisnashville » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Ah, yeah, thought I was replying to aquasalad...

I tried to download Adobe CS5 after logging in the other day, but said I wasn't a current student yet. Shame, could use it now :D

aquasalad

Bronze

Post by aquasalad » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:00 pm

I guess I'll call the bookstore and see what they say... I just need my Student ID number and passphrase right? Do we have any other form of identity/security at this point? Pretty sure this isn't going to work...

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Hey all,

New to the thread and apparently one of the few single ladies who will be attending IU in the fall! I haven't joined the fb group yet but will soon. I see that ppl seem to be looking for roommates in this thread more than the other IU one. I'm looking too! I'll be in Bloomington at the end of the month. Looks like the chance of finding a female roomie are slim to none, so if anyone's interested , male or female, PM me!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:21 pm

aquasalad wrote:I guess I'll call the bookstore and see what they say... I just need my Student ID number and passphrase right? Do we have any other form of identity/security at this point? Pretty sure this isn't going to work...

Sorry if this has already been discussed...
I had a macbook in undergrad and installed bootcamp on it and Windows worked terribly. It was slow and a huge pain to deal with so I ended up getting rid of it. Does anyone have more recent experience with bootcamp? Has it improved over the last couple of years or is it still slow and inconvenient?

aquasalad

Bronze

Post by aquasalad » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:10 pm

I've heard it works fine on newer (2009-) macbook pros, but not knowing firsthand is why I was wanting to test-run it before classes

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:30 pm

aquasalad wrote:I've heard it works fine on newer (2009-) macbook pros, but not knowing firsthand is why I was wanting to test-run it before classes
Let me know how it works!

Jspain

New

Post by Jspain » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:47 pm

Out of curiosity - Is anyone on here a runner? There's a popular full/half marathon about three hours outside of bloomington a few weeks after classes start...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:54 pm

aquasalad wrote:I guess I'll call the bookstore and see what they say... I just need my Student ID number and passphrase right? Do we have any other form of identity/security at this point? Pretty sure this isn't going to work...
If you want Windows, you need to go buy a disc in person.
They have Vista for $5, and 7 Ultimate (I think it's an upgrade disc) for $20.

aquasalad

Bronze

Post by aquasalad » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:28 pm

superflush wrote:
I'm going to see if they will ship it to me, hopefully...

pcvmeli

New

Post by pcvmeli » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:15 am

Jspain wrote:Out of curiosity - Is anyone on here a runner? There's a popular full/half marathon about three hours outside of bloomington a few weeks after classes start...
Me :) Where is it? You thinking about running? Half or Full? I might be down for the half.

Jspain

New

Post by Jspain » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:25 am

pcvmeli wrote: Me :) Where is it? You thinking about running? Half or Full? I might be down for the half.
It's in Dayton, OH and I would definitely do the half. There is no way I'd feel comfortable blocking out time to finish training for the full in September. I brought it up because the course is completely flat and the swag is usually great :)

It's the Air Force's n'l marathon, you can check out the link here if you're interested in training for it! http://www.usafmarathon.com/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aquasalad

Bronze

Post by aquasalad » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:11 pm

superflush wrote:

Alright I've figured out how to get Windows, and any other software that is unavailable for download. Here's the link, you fill out your order online by checking the box (in my case, next to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit) beside the software you want. Print it out, fax/mail it in, and it should be at your door in 7-10 days.

https://iuware.iu.edu/offcampus/

edit- this is an upgrade only and not a full version, so I haven't solved the problem yet

MochaLatte05

New

Post by MochaLatte05 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:30 am

Once you get to campus you can purchase it at the bookstore. Unfortunately, Microsoft has pretty tight control of Windows releases on college campuses. On the bright side, take your Mac to UITS when you get to campus and they can do all of the legwork for you (i.e. setting up the virtual machine, partitioning properly, and installing windows), which is usually a considerably easier choice.

Anonyme

New

Post by Anonyme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:51 pm

Hello everyone, a friend directed me to this forum. I'm going to be at IU-B this fall, and I'm currently looking for a roommate. It's a two-bedroom, two-bath apartment available in a quiet, mature community. Looking for a roommate, male or female, preferably a law student. The apartment is at Renwick City Flats, which located approximately 2 miles from the law school ( --LinkRemoved-- , see New York model). Rent (including utilities, television and internet) will be $725/month. A bus route to the law school, starting at 7:10AM Monday through Friday, runs about every 5-10 minutes. The apartment was constructed in December of 2009, and is practically brand new. Each room is very spacious and has its own bathroom. The apartment has 12-foot ceilings, a porch, a full kitchen, and a living room. Photos and a floor-plan are available upon request. The ideal roommate would be a reasonably quiet, responsible law student, with no pets or distracting habits.

Feel free to send me a "PM" regarding the room.

twairlines

Bronze

Post by twairlines » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:44 pm

Anonyme wrote:Hello everyone, a friend directed me to this forum. I'm going to be at IU-B this fall, and I'm currently looking for a roommate. It's a two-bedroom, two-bath apartment available in a quiet, mature community. Looking for a roommate, male or female, preferably a law student. The apartment is at Renwick City Flats, which located approximately 2 miles from the law school ( --LinkRemoved-- , see New York model). Rent (including utilities, television and internet) will be $725/month. A bus route to the law school, starting at 7:10AM Monday through Friday, runs about every 5-10 minutes. The apartment was constructed in December of 2009, and is practically brand new. Each room is very spacious and has its own bathroom. The apartment has 12-foot ceilings, a porch, a full kitchen, and a living room. Photos and a floor-plan are available upon request. The ideal roommate would be a reasonably quiet, responsible law student, with no pets or distracting habits.

Would self infliction be considered a distracting habit? If so count me out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aquasalad

Bronze

Post by aquasalad » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:06 pm

twairlines wrote:
Anonyme wrote:Hello everyone, a friend directed me to this forum. I'm going to be at IU-B this fall, and I'm currently looking for a roommate. It's a two-bedroom, two-bath apartment available in a quiet, mature community. Looking for a roommate, male or female, preferably a law student. The apartment is at Renwick City Flats, which located approximately 2 miles from the law school ( --LinkRemoved-- , see New York model). Rent (including utilities, television and internet) will be $725/month. A bus route to the law school, starting at 7:10AM Monday through Friday, runs about every 5-10 minutes. The apartment was constructed in December of 2009, and is practically brand new. Each room is very spacious and has its own bathroom. The apartment has 12-foot ceilings, a porch, a full kitchen, and a living room. Photos and a floor-plan are available upon request. The ideal roommate would be a reasonably quiet, responsible law student, with no pets or distracting habits.

Would self infliction be considered a distracting habit? If so count me out.
Wait what?

twairlines

Bronze

Post by twairlines » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:43 pm

No pain, no gain.

aquasalad

Bronze

Post by aquasalad » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:33 pm

Self inflicted ludicrous study pain, I get it now

twairlines

Bronze

Post by twairlines » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Lol ok ill go with that. I feel uncomfortable even making a joke like I did..why sum1 wld do tht to themselves is beyond me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”