GW Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Naked Dude

Silver

Re: GW Law Class of 2014

Post by Naked Dude » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:36 pm

schooner wrote:
sparcarc wrote:
It would be difficult to comment on your situation without knowing more about the apartment option. For instance, your apartment building might have centrally managed climated control (i.e., you don't have your own thermostat), it could be infested with rodents, you're choosing between a one-bedroom vs. a studio (as in the Aston), you need a furnished place, etc. I don't know if you went through the earlier posts either here or in the other thread, but I remember seeing someone post a youtube tour of his Aston place.
Thanks for the response!
The Apartment I was looking at (Condominium, actually. So it'd be a contract with an individual unit owner,) is a studio as well, although slightly larger at 500 sq ft. I did see that YouTube video and it seems the unit conditions are about the same. I'd be able to control the temp settings in the condo as well. Even though the owner said there are no pest problems.. it still is a concern, as you said.
To me, especially coming from a different city, the value of having the place furnished cannot be understated. Moving really truly sucks. Especially when you don't have anyone to help you. I'll be at the aston, and though I haven't been in a place that small since freshman year (ditto on the twin bed), it's still worth it.
That is definitely true - having a furnished apartment is a factor in my decision.. And yes, the twin bed.. I guess I'm just trying to figure out whether that'd be worth $120 / month and whether I need to consider additional factors.
Be careful with your written lease/sublet agreement, esp. the landlord's (or tenant's, if you're subletting) promise that the apartment is not infested and move-in/move-out timelines, particularly if you won't be in DC during the summers.

It sounds like the decision will come down to personal preference. What do you value and resent more? The proximity of so many of your classmates, the convenience of moving into and out of a furnished dorm apartment, (probably) greater tenant protections if you have a problem with your place, and less flexibility to negotiate some terms with your landlord? Or the freedom and hassle of furnishing your own place, the possible ability to stay continuously if you summer in DC, lower rent, less legal protections, and the feeling of having finally grown out of dorms? (I'm not sure if the Aston requires you to move out every summer, whether or not you're staying in DC.)

By the way, the size of the bed in the Aston means that no one could (comfortably) stay the night, which some would say is a good thing.
Overhearing some 1L's conversing when I visited the Aston, I'm pretty sure you can rent an Aston apartment for the summer. However I don't know if there's any guarantee of staying in your same place or not.

redfern86

New

Post by redfern86 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:27 am

Naked Dude wrote:You haven't gotten your room assignment yet right? I was told 10 days...10 days ago. Looking at last year's thread, it looks like Aston people found out around July 22 or so, so maybe later this week...
I haven't received my Aston room assignment yet either, but they seem overworked/understaffed this summer. I don't think it's worth worrying yet, unless some people get assignments and others don't (which happened last year).

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:32 pm

redfern86 wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:You haven't gotten your room assignment yet right? I was told 10 days...10 days ago. Looking at last year's thread, it looks like Aston people found out around July 22 or so, so maybe later this week...
I haven't received my Aston room assignment yet either, but they seem overworked/understaffed this summer. I don't think it's worth worrying yet, unless some people get assignments and others don't (which happened last year).
Yeah I'm not too worried about it. I mean, we don't really need to know what room we're going to be getting yet. Makes no difference. Just annoying when they can't keep their shit straight.

jspri

New

Post by jspri » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Just got admitted last week! Anyone looking for a roommate?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:48 pm

Anyone else doing the public interest program??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:09 pm

Does any one know anything about the Elise apartment building?

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
redfern86 wrote:
Yeah I'm not too worried about it. I mean, we don't really need to know what room we're going to be getting yet. Makes no difference. Just annoying when they can't keep their shit straight.
True-it'd just be nice to update some of my address info for various personal things. I suppose stuff will get to me without the apartment number listed, but just to make it easier.

redfern86

New

Post by redfern86 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Yay for getting Aston room assignments! Things seem to be falling into place... everything seems very real now.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:22 pm

redfern86 wrote:Yay for getting Aston room assignments! Things seem to be falling into place... everything seems very real now.
+1

edit: I thought they'd be giving more information than just the room number though.

also, if it says the room number is AS-0502-01 (not my real room number), is our room number just 502? Like, if I want to send something by mail to the Aston to arrive before I get there (and I do), do I just put: "Aston Address, room 502"?

thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:07 pm

Things do seem to be falling in place. The SBA activities with the mentor program look fun! I am getting excited now.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:32 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
redfern86 wrote:Yay for getting Aston room assignments! Things seem to be falling into place... everything seems very real now.
+1

edit: I thought they'd be giving more information than just the room number though.

also, if it says the room number is AS-0502-01 (not my real room number), is our room number just 502? Like, if I want to send something by mail to the Aston to arrive before I get there (and I do), do I just put: "Aston Address, room 502"?

thanks
I think that's more than enough information. There are only about 10 or so units on each floor right? Even if you didn't put your apartment number on something, the odds of it not being delivered to you are slim--it'd come to the building, and your name is listed so I would be surprised if anything for you weren't processed.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:37 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
+1

thanks
To add further detail, AS is obviously the GW building code, unnecessary if you have the address. The first 0 is extraneous and I wouldn't sweat it at all. the -01 suffix is not super useful since the Aston is all singles, but it's used in dorms with roommates to denote multiple people in the same unit. Again I wouldn't sweat it.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:37 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Things do seem to be falling in place. The SBA activities with the mentor program look fun! I am getting excited now.
I just filled out that mentor survey...looks like a really nice feature

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:42 pm

Anyone else get the Section 15 email?

My thoughts were-I had all afternoon classes my last two semesters of undergrad. I mostly slept in (or went to work) instead of schoolwork, and was too tired after classes all afternoon to do meaningful work.

But then the flip side is, even though morning classes would force me out of bed, there's no more of a guarantee that I wouldn't waste time and dick around in the afternoon AFTER class. And it seems like there are so many more distractions in the afternoon.

Then again, my attention span really goes downhill after 2. At least at home I could work at my own pace in the afternoon.

I think I just answered my question...guess I just needed to write it out.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:01 am

I got the email. I am not planning on doing it however. Anyone going to opt in for Section 15 out of curiosity?

I know I study best at night, and am definitely a morning person so I can get up and go to classes.

redfern86

New

Post by redfern86 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:37 am

1) I emailed housing about the mailing address format. Naked dude was right, it was simple, but I'm still glad I know for sure. My UG mail went to a general drop box rather than my physical address so it was new for me.
Name
The Aston, Room XXX
1129 New Hampshire Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20052

2) I'm excited about the mentor program too, but I hate filling out personality surveys.

3) I'm definitely not doing Section 15. I've heard the curve is easier (see the GW 1L taking questions thread), but I know I'd have a harder time forcing myself to get up and read in the morning rather than reading after class.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:39 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:I got the email. I am not planning on doing it however. Anyone going to opt in for Section 15 out of curiosity?

I know I study best at night, and am definitely a morning person so I can get up and go to classes.
I was thinking about it, but I know if I don't have class till noon I'll just spend all my time in the morning sleeping. Sleeping 10 hrs a night sounds amazing but I'm sure it will have a negative effect on my grades.

Also, a DC weather update for our out of towners. As of about 9:30 AM, it is 93 degrees out with a heat index of a SWELTERING 107! Temperatures should rise to about 103 with a head index of over 120.

I hope to all that is holy that it cools down by the time school starts.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:07 pm

RE: student loans - somebody had a question about this. The financial aid office told me that you don't have to take out the full amount of offered loans right now. You can take out some now and more later, if the need arises. The origination fee is a % of the loan amount so it's the same for a given amount, whether it's a lump sum or paid out in smaller amounts. HOWEVER, you should call the office to confirm that this rule covers GradPLUS. I'm pretty sure my financial aid counselor was referring to all loans, but I'm not 100% she sure was including GradPLUS in our conversation.

PS - In case you guys haven't seen it, the school posted a rough orientation schedule on the admitted students portal.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:10 pm

The school also posted this reading list: --LinkRemoved--

Does anyone else think this is a really dumb and inadequate list?

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:34 pm

yeah i dont plan on reading any of those

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Just noticed this addition in the portal, in Orientation Overview:

Important Notice Regarding Assignment to Sections and Book Lists for First-Year Students

In order to maximize the diversity of each first-year section, and to minimize the need to reassign students to other sections, first-year section assignments are not made until the class membership has been completely finalized, just before Orientation.

Because classes are organized by section, you accordingly will receive information regarding textbooks and first assignments at or shortly before Orientation.

Textbooks will be packaged by section at the GW Bookstore; in addition, the Student Bar Association will offer used textbooks for sale during Orientation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:27 pm

schooner wrote:Just noticed this addition in the portal, in Orientation Overview:

Important Notice Regarding Assignment to Sections and Book Lists for First-Year Students

In order to maximize the diversity of each first-year section, and to minimize the need to reassign students to other sections, first-year section assignments are not made until the class membership has been completely finalized, just before Orientation.

Because classes are organized by section, you accordingly will receive information regarding textbooks and first assignments at or shortly before Orientation.

Textbooks will be packaged by section at the GW Bookstore; in addition, the Student Bar Association will offer used textbooks for sale during Orientation.
Super lame. They basically corner you into buying from the bookstore if you want to be able to read for the first day of class.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:32 pm

Wohoo! I leave for DC tonight on a red eye flight. Can't wait to get there!

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:48 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Wohoo! I leave for DC tonight on a red eye flight. Can't wait to get there!
Have a safe flight! I can't wait to get down to DC next week :D

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:50 pm

law4vus wrote:
schooner wrote:Just noticed this addition in the portal, in Orientation Overview:

Super lame. They basically corner you into buying from the bookstore if you want to be able to read for the first day of class.
+1. If I can save a hundred bucks or more by getting the books through Amazon or somewhere else, I'm not going to care if I can't read for the first week (though I'd definitely make it up the next week). That's booze money, yo. 8)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”