UGA Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
IndigoPoet

New

Re: UGA Law Class of 2014

Post by IndigoPoet » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:45 am

eandy wrote:
IndigoPoet wrote:
Sandro wrote:Okay cool. I've seen some other people at other schools talking about that kind of stuff, havent heard too much from UGA about it.
I know. I felt the same way. I also tried to go through studentloans.gov and they told me that UGA doesn't use "their" system for MPN. Of course I could have done something wrong. That website annoys me.
Last year I couldn't figure out why I hadn't gotten my loan money and other people had. Apparently you do have to fill something out--UGA didn't tell me about it. I had to go the studentloans.gov website to fill out the MPNs. Maybe they changed it since last year, but that's what I did.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try it again. I hadn't tried it since accepting the money on Oasis.

IndigoPoet

New

Post by IndigoPoet » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:55 am

Sandro wrote:Okay cool. I've seen some other people at other schools talking about that kind of stuff, havent heard too much from UGA about it.
Hey Sandro. I don't know if you saw eandy's post about what to do next. I went back to studentloans.gov and was actually able to complete the process of signing a promissory note where before I wasn't. So go there and get it out of the way.

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:46 pm

IndigoPoet wrote:
eandy wrote:
IndigoPoet wrote:
I know. I felt the same way. I also tried to go through studentloans.gov and they told me that UGA doesn't use "their" system for MPN. Of course I could have done something wrong. That website annoys me.
Last year I couldn't figure out why I hadn't gotten my loan money and other people had. Apparently you do have to fill something out--UGA didn't tell me about it. I had to go the studentloans.gov website to fill out the MPNs. Maybe they changed it since last year, but that's what I did.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try it again. I hadn't tried it since accepting the money on Oasis.
What is this MPN for? I've accepted loans from Oasis but do I need to fill this out in order to receive loans? If so, why doesnt the UGA website mention anything like this?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:44 pm

splittinghairs wrote:
IndigoPoet wrote:
eandy wrote: Last year I couldn't figure out why I hadn't gotten my loan money and other people had. Apparently you do have to fill something out--UGA didn't tell me about it. I had to go the studentloans.gov website to fill out the MPNs. Maybe they changed it since last year, but that's what I did.
What is this MPN for? I've accepted loans from Oasis but do I need to fill this out in order to receive loans? If so, why doesnt the UGA website mention anything like this?
Yes. If you don't, you will be like me. I didn't realize I had not done something until other people started getting their money at the beginning of August and I didn't. I think I filled out my MPN August 5th, and I didn't get my money until a week after school started. Not good when you have to buy books for class.
The financial aid office at UGA is sort of incompetent.

IndigoPoet

New

Post by IndigoPoet » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:52 am

Go to studentloans.gov, log-in, and selected complete MPN. Essentially it's you giving your basic information, giving to references, and agreeing to the terms of the loans. You'll complete one for any Direct sub/unsubsidized loans and another for grad plus if you need it. When you're done with each, they send a copy to financial aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

waitingisfun

New

Post by waitingisfun » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:41 am

Hey guys thank you for pointing this out to me. I called the financial aid office and they confirmed that we do need to fill out the promissory note. In addition they also told me we need to complete the entrance counseling which is also found on "studentloans.gov". Its just basically a read and answer multiple choice questions type thing.

plug1

New

Post by plug1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:51 pm

Anybody know the deal with football tickets?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:04 pm

plug1 wrote:Anybody know the deal with football tickets?
Sometime in August(after school has started IIRC), you will get an email with information for buying tickets. If you didnt go to UGA for undergrad you are counted like a freshman so you will only get tickets for three games. (They'll give you one good game and 2 others). Once you're a 2L I am told you get all the games. Not getting tickets for a game is not really a big deal as you will always have the law school tailgate and then you have Mags if the game is on TV.
It won't be like some schools where tickets are free. You will have to pay 6-8 dollars per game(can't remember). It's worth it, though, I think.
I do NOT think you can get date tickets.

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:16 pm

Anybody still looking for a roommate?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Was anyone notified of the summer success program ? I know July 1 was the decision date in the letter, just wondering if anyone got an email/call/anything.

G_REGular89

New

Post by G_REGular89 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:05 am

I talked with admissions and they said the letters should be going out soon for the early start program

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:37 am

G_REGular89 wrote:I talked with admissions and they said the letters should be going out soon for the early start program
good stuff.

Jimsta

New

Post by Jimsta » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Sandro wrote:
G_REGular89 wrote:I talked with admissions and they said the letters should be going out soon for the early start program
good stuff.
Mine arrived today.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:43 am

Looking for someone to take over my spot in a lease after a last minute offer from another school. I have a 2-bedroom loft apartment at 909 broad (right in downtown Athens, about 2 blocks from the law school), and a roommate who is also an incoming 1L who has signed the lease. It is a really nice unit, one of only a few in the complex, and the application/other fees have already been paid, all you would have to do is sign the lease. If you are interested send me a PM and we can arrange to talk via e-mail or phone. Thanks.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:15 am

nmcdgt wrote:Looking for someone to take over my spot in a lease after a last minute offer from another school. I have a 2-bedroom loft apartment at 909 broad (right in downtown Athens, about 8 blocks from the law school), and a roommate who is also an incoming 1L who has signed the lease. It is a really nice unit,
ftfy. Normally wouldn't bother but there is 2 blocks of hill climbing from 909 before you even get to the edge of downtown. Super misleading to say 2 blocks to school. 909 is only a 15 minute walk though, which is super convenient for 1Ls, when you are chained to school half the semester.

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:08 pm

eandy wrote:
nmcdgt wrote:Looking for someone to take over my spot in a lease after a last minute offer from another school. I have a 2-bedroom loft apartment at 909 broad (right in downtown Athens, about 8 blocks from the law school), and a roommate who is also an incoming 1L who has signed the lease. It is a really nice unit,
ftfy. Normally wouldn't bother but there is 2 blocks of hill climbing from 909 before you even get to the edge of downtown. Super misleading to say 2 blocks to school. 909 is only a 15 minute walk though, which is super convenient for 1Ls, when you are chained to school half the semester.
Not to be combative but you have to be walking pretty slow for that walk to take 15 minutes, imo. The next block up is the 755 broad complex, which is 2 cross streets from the law school (Thomas and Jackson). In any case, it is certainly very close, closer than pretty much any other housing is going to be, hence the vast amount of law students living there.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:18 pm

From someone who walked it every day last school year, it takes 15 minutes or more in morning traffic. A lot of the time is spent waiting at crosswalks (five point intersection and then to cross Broad st). You're also going to be carrying your backpack and stuff with you which is going to take extra time. You can make it in ten minutes in theory, but trust me, if you leave 909 at 9:15 you are still going to have to really seriously walk fast to barely make it in time for class.
The problem with 909 is that the hallway is very long. It took five minutes to just get out of the building(the hallway is a half mile long).
I liked 909, but seriously, it does take longer than you think to walk to school from there. It's close, but describing it as 2 blocks is sort of silly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:00 am

Fair enough. In any case, I have a spot in one of the few 2-bedroom loft units available at 909 broad, which is a popular choice for law students and as close or closer than just about any other available housing options to the law school. If anyone is looking for an apartment very close to the law school, all of the fees have been paid and there is a roommate in place already, so all you would have to do is take over the lease.
Last edited by nmcdgt on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaxgolfer

New

Post by jaxgolfer » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:43 am

Will any of the current UGA Law students please describe your typical class schedule?

Thanks

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:15 pm

jaxgolfer wrote:Will any of the current UGA Law students please describe your typical class schedule?

Thanks
1Ls pretty much will all have the same schedule. There is only one variation which I will get to in a second. Each day you will begin at 9:30 and end at 4:20 in the fall. 9:30-10:20, 11:30-12:20, 1:30-2:20 and 3:30-4:20. One day out of the week you will have a three hour break because your legal writing class will only meet two days a week instead of three like your other classes. Which day that is varies by section. After November 15thish when the memo is due, you won't have legal writing anymore so you have a lot more three hour breaks. It doesn't matter though because then you are using your break to outline. Usually people use their three hour break day to go out to lunch with their friends. Hour breaks between classes are really good for doing the reading you should have done the night before or rereading/going back over what you read or reading supplements. You can also choose to squander your hour talking to your friends in the library, which is what a lot of people do. The law library is basically like your high school cafeteria (minus the food) during the hour breaks.

The spring schedule is lighter because you don't have criminal law anymore. So most sections will still begin at 9:30 (you might be lucky and start at 11:30 on one day or something but probably you won't). 9:30-10:20, 11:30-12:20, 2:30-3:20. You'll get a 2 hr break every day for lunch, which is nice. Plus, you get out an hour earlier.

If you guys want to look at the actual schedules, you can:
Spring 2012
Fall 2011

I'd say section X probably has the best lineup of profs, but section Y gets Coenen and Kurtz first semester. Coenen is awesome and Kurtz gives tons of As.

Some people hate the hour break thing because it keeps you on campus all day, but it is (1) a really good way to get all of your work done during the day (for the majority of the year when that is possible) and (2) it really, in my opinion, contributes to the closeness of everyone in the law school. I made a lot of my friends during those breaks. 2L/3L schedules are crazy and you don't get to see everyone as much.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:41 pm

Got the Summer Success letter as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:10 pm

Bump:

Looking for someone to fill a room in a 2-bedroom loft apartment at 909 broad (right in downtown Athens), lease is already set and fees have been paid already
Last edited by nmcdgt on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Rising UGA 2L willing to take questions. PM me though, I don't have time to keep checking back in this thread. Congrats Class of 2014 - looking forward to meeting you all in August! :mrgreen:

Midnight Rider

New

Post by Midnight Rider » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Some RamBro moved my last post to the hinterlands, so I'm bumping again. I've got a 2BR condo I'm moving out of very shortly that is pretty solid for Grad/Law students. Shoot me a PM and I'll reply with the link. In the 5 Points neighborhood, bikeable to law school, walkable to eateries and next to both a city and campus bus stop.

To make sure the moderator (or whomever moved my post) totally understands why I'm posting here, I, too, aspired to be in the UGA class of 2014 but was not graced an acceptance. HOWEVER, as a resident of Athens and UGA alum ('03), I feel that I have enough to offer to you gentlemen and women to warrant a post here. Also, like 20 dudes posted about rentals upthread. If I get moved and they stay, I'll have Al Sharpton up in the TLS offices so fast...

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:21 pm

It's weird they moved your post. Five points is awesome, guys.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”