Transferring Within T13 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
triplegmahimahi

New

Transferring Within T13

Post by triplegmahimahi » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:58 pm

I'm a current 1L with a slightly below median GPA at a middle-tier t13 school. I have a 3.44 on a 3.5 scale. I had a severe medical issue last semester and I'm very confident I can be above median this semester (I got near average after missing a ton of classes and readings due to a medical issue so I'm hoping this is a good sign now that I'm healthy?idk).

I've heard conflicting information about transferring within the t13. My Dean and career counselor here have told me as long as I'm around the middle of the class I should have a great shot of getting into NYU or Berkley because my school is a "peer school". I know I have absolutely no shot at Harvard or above. I'm very unhappy here, I love the law, but it's been hard with the medical issue (now resolved) and I'd like a new start. I don't entirely trust my dean or counselor because I've seen the average transfer GPA to NYU and Berkely and class rank and I'm going to be probably top 50-40% after spring semester but no way I'm top 25% or above. I working abroad at a law firm in Europe this summer and am an active duty firefighter so I'm hoping that could help?

I was waitlisted by NYU and Berkeley when I initially applied (172 LSAT, 3.72 GPA). I don't know how this affects anything.

talons2250

Bronze

Re: Transferring Within T13

Post by talons2250 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:17 pm

What exactly is the point of transferring to NYU or Berkeley if you're already at a T13 school that, in the grand scheme of things, is viewed by most people as a peer school to NYU or Berkeley? What makes you think you'll be happier at NYU or Berkeley as opposed to your current school?

Access

New

Post by Access » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:15 pm

I doubt you'll be happier elsewhere. Culture between schools isn't that different. Unless you're already paying full ticker, you'll incur a ton of extra debt too. I'd also be a bit more cautious about predicting future grades, grade are more about exam approach than readings imo and you never know what health issues may hit.

Your best bet is to just focus on your health, grades, get a job offer, then check out, maybe do a few practicums or visiting semester. Don't center your life around your school - it gets easier after 1L.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:02 pm

I agree with all the advice about not transferring here.

Also you could look into being a "visiting student" one of those places for 3L.

Lawman1865

Bronze

Post by Lawman1865 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:26 pm

triplegmahimahi wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:58 pm
I'm a current 1L with a slightly below median GPA at a middle-tier t13 school. I have a 3.44 on a 3.5 scale. I had a severe medical issue last semester and I'm very confident I can be above median this semester (I got near average after missing a ton of classes and readings due to a medical issue so I'm hoping this is a good sign now that I'm healthy?idk).

I've heard conflicting information about transferring within the t13. My Dean and career counselor here have told me as long as I'm around the middle of the class I should have a great shot of getting into NYU or Berkley because my school is a "peer school". I know I have absolutely no shot at Harvard or above. I'm very unhappy here, I love the law, but it's been hard with the medical issue (now resolved) and I'd like a new start. I don't entirely trust my dean or counselor because I've seen the average transfer GPA to NYU and Berkely and class rank and I'm going to be probably top 50-40% after spring semester but no way I'm top 25% or above. I working abroad at a law firm in Europe this summer and am an active duty firefighter so I'm hoping that could help?

I was waitlisted by NYU and Berkeley when I initially applied (172 LSAT, 3.72 GPA). I don't know how this affects anything.
I'm generally inclined to agree with the other responses. Unless you have a good reason for transferring to a peer school (e.g. such peer school is close to family, you know for some X factor that the peer school will almost certainly be better for your physical/mental health, etc.) I would be wary of doing that. In any case, I would definitely suggest going abroad for a semester during your 2L (if you apply for the fall, maybe you can just stay in Europe after the summer ends), so that will knock a bit more time off of the time spent at your current school.

Otherwise, look at the 509 reports (they are called something like that) and you can see the general stats of acceptance from NYU and Berkley. I think NYU is pretty generous with their transfer acceptance if you have a good story, but as stated above, you should think carefully about the reasons you are moving and if it makes sense for you.

Happy your health issues are resolved, good luck with everything.

cbc25

New

Post by cbc25 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:39 pm

Another aspect of this is financial. As a transfer, I'm unsure what scholarship money you could tap into. Do you get financial aid from the school you're currently at?

I understand wanting to start fresh, but perhaps your current school is also in a better position to support you under these circumstances.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”